Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some TV shows that my son loves (Blues Clues, Wiggles, ETC.) that have little or no DVD titles to choose from. I am considering buying a DVD-R drive for my PC to record my own from tapes we have bought or shows we could record off the TV, but I hate to invest the money and time if it will not work in the RES. I could not find any info about this in the owners manual, and my dealers repsonse was "what's a DVD-R?" PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Please see 'Victory is mine', in this forum.

I cannot guarantee a DVD-R will work in the RES DVD drive.

I have created my own VideoCD for use in the DVD drive, and it was excellent for the 10 second clip I tested. I intend to copy a handful of VHS tapes onto VCD. The current plan is to obtain a 1394 interface for the PC, since I've been meaning to get one anyway. So the VCR will connect to a camcorder we already have, which will hopefully convert it to 1394, which will hopefully get transferred effortlessly into an MPEG on the PC, and then be burned onto the CDRW.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SuperDad:
Please see 'Victory is mine', in this forum.

I cannot guarantee a DVD-R will work in the RES DVD drive.

I have created my own VideoCD for use in the DVD drive, and it was excellent for the 10 second clip I tested. I intend to copy a handful of VHS tapes onto VCD. The current plan is to obtain a 1394 interface for the PC, since I've been meaning to get one anyway. So the VCR will connect to a camcorder we already have, which will hopefully convert it to 1394, which will hopefully get transferred effortlessly into an MPEG on the PC, and then be burned onto the CDRW.
</font>
SuperDad, I did not know if you were aware, but a number of companies make RCA to USB converters for this very purpose, eliminating the headache involved with your description. These range in price from $40.00-$300.00 depending on video editing, picture quality, MPEG compression, speed of upload, etc. Dazzle makes a number of these, as does a few other companies. Just thought I would make a suggestion, in case you were looking for options.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

Yes, I was aware of this kind of device. I kind of thought I might get better video out of the camera, who's primary job is high-end video digitizing. I guess it really doesn't matter, when it gets onto a VCD you lose lots of pixels anyway.
I still want the 1394 interface, just to get the home movies off the camcorder. I think it is cheaper than the $80 dazzle unit I saw at OfficeMax earlier tonight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The VCD conversion mentioned is still burning onto a CD-R(/W). The question asked about a DVD-R. I think that you have a better chance of success than a CD-R, but still not guaranteed. I know there is still some haggling over DVD-R standards within the industry.

Big reason why many DVD players have problems reading CD-R material has to do with the wavelength of the laser and the dye used in the recording medium. Most DVD players that will successfully read CD-R actually have two lasers, one for DVD, one for CD's. I would suspect that the DVD-R disks are optimized for the wavelength of typical DVD lasers, and should provide better results. BWDIK???

·
Registered
46 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shumdit:
I am considering buying a DVD-R drive for my PC to record my own from tapes we have bought or shows we could record off the TV, but I hate to invest the money and time if it will not work in the RES. I could not find any info about this in the owners manual, and my dealers repsonse was "what's a DVD-R?" PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!! Thanks!</font>
For what it's worth, page 214 in the owners manual states the following:

"DVD-ROMs cannot be played in this system."

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by htown:
For what it's worth, page 214 in the owners manual states the following:

"DVD-ROMs cannot be played in this system."
</font>
thanks for the reply. My confusion with that statement is that I do not know what a DVD-ROM is. The types I have seen are:
DVD (pre-recorded that is most common)
DVD-R 1 time record type
DVD-RW many, such as sony computers use this format
DVD+RW HP's format, which IS different from DVD-RW
DVD-RAM Panasonic can record in this mode, but I have no idea what it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts