Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Yesterday I was on a long trip. Took a rest area break and when I started again, by mistake put the gear on 'D2' instead of 'D'. I was cruising for around 8-10 mins and reached 80 mph. At the point, the vehicle was making a high idling sound (i felt something like engine braking) and was not able to speed up higher . Immediately realized my mistake and changed it to gear 'D' and everything came back to normal again.

During this process, did I create any harm to the engine / transmission or any other components like bent valves or damage to piston rings etc ?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Absolutely and positively not. Remember, your engine is electronically controlled and won't over rev. Also, at high rpm, the loads, for each stroke, are much lower. You'll burn more gas, but won't hurt the engine.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,455 Posts
I believe it's stated ine owners manual that when the RPMs reach redline, the engine will start cutting in and out to protect the engine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. I am releived.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mean D3? 2nd gear DOES NOT go up to 80mph...
Actually the gear shift knob in my Ody touring had 1. 2. and D . There is no gear 3 there. Will take a pic and post .

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Actually the gear shift knob in my Ody touring had 1. 2. and D . There is no gear 3 there. Will take a pic and post .
D3 is a switch on the side, below the shift release button.

Either way, 2nd gear doesn't go that high. Were you listening to music or something? The engine would be screaming it's head off lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just saw that there is a D3 on the side. Thanks. But as mentioned, I was on 2. It was raining heavily and that might be the reason I didnt hear the engine screaming i guess. Speedwise , i remember the speedometer showing near the 80 mark only. maybe i am wrong. This was after I came out of the rest are and few minutes after merging into the freeway.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Just saw that there is a D3 on the side. Thanks. But as mentioned, I was on 2. It was raining heavily and that might be the reason I didnt hear the engine screaming i guess. Speedwise , i remember the speedometer showing near the 80 mark only. maybe i am wrong. This was after I came out of the rest are and few minutes after merging into the freeway.
2nd gear redlines around 70 MPH.

Anyhow, your van should be fine.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
D3 is a switch on the side, below the shift release button.

Either way, 2nd gear doesn't go that high. Were you listening to music or something? The engine would be screaming it's head off lol
Really hard to believe that the OP didn’t notice it for 8-10 min driving on D2 for that long and at that speed. As mentioned, the engine would be just screaming.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Really hard to believe that the OP didn’t notice it for 8-10 min driving on D2 for that long and at that speed. As mentioned, the engine would be just screaming.
Hold up...I missed the 10 mins part!!!

Hopefully the engine is fine! All of the fluid temps probably got super hot, cats probably got glowing hot, etc.

If the van drives fine now, I mean...you should be ok...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Don't people make a point of checking the RPM once in a while driving? I check it every time I glance down at the cluster just to make sure the RPM matches the speed, especially in regards to downshifting and so on. Good thing Honda has systems in place so it is hard to damage the engine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,

Yesterday I was on a long trip. Took a rest area break and when I started again, by mistake put the gear on 'D2' instead of 'D'. I was cruising for around 8-10 mins and reached 80 mph. At the point, the vehicle was making a high idling sound (i felt something like engine braking) and was not able to speed up higher . Immediately realized my mistake and changed it to gear 'D' and everything came back to normal again.

During this process, did I create any harm to the engine / transmission or any other components like bent valves or damage to piston rings etc ?
I would be more concerned about the transmission than the engine. Check the transmission fluid to make sure it doesn't look or smell bad.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Once more with feeling, your transmission is fine and your engine is fine. Go have a cocktail/beer and just relax.

Remember, everything was lightly loaded and just singing along.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts