Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, this is the perfect car for that type of drive system, the demographics are usually people that do mainly city driving having that EV mode would do wonders for this car in city driving.

We have 5 kids and my wife spends the better part of her day shuttling the kids back and forth to school. Her avg gas mileage is a almost on par with our old 2006 Chevy Tahoe. I've always complained to the wife why doesnt Honda make this in a hybrid it would do wonders.

Has there been any discussions or rumors regarding American Honda even considering this platform?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
knowing how conservative Honda is they'll probably worry that it might cannibalize sales from the Acura brand *rollseyes* I'm surprised they have xenons on the touring elite

·
Registered
37 Posts
Guys, Not only do I agree about the potential price with any new Honda platform employing this technology, I would be optimistic that they would put this in the Odyssey, the MDX, and the Pilot! I hope that Honda is will be market leaders and provide this technology at a decent price! I think that the Odyssey platform would be perfect to put this technology, and moreover adding the 7 speed transmission would further increase the fuel economy. I think the current 06-11 Odyssey could use a boost in the 0-20 mph range since it takes a bit of throttle to get is going up to speed. Electric motors even with the 5 or speed transmission would be perfect! I have not driven the 6 speed touring, so I cannot comment on how it drives.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is our 5th Odyssey now, the 5th being the 2012. The 6 speed tranny is nice but when you're just doing stop and go driving in urban settings the shifting seems lazy, when you're in the passenger seat it feels like the driver is letting off on the throttle before the transmission goes to the next gear up. and when you are at fwy speeds, and want to pass you have to step it down a bit deeper to get it to drop from the 6th gear to probably 4th to get it enough umph to move.

But agree, having more speeds on this platform in a hybrid would be nice

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I personally am not a fan of hybrids. The pollution of the manufacturing process in addition to the lifespan of the batteries doesnt seem worth it to me.
I had 3 co workers with toyota prius and all 3 liked the car, 2 of the 3 were not getting more then 45mpg and the one that put more mileage on his said the batteries were considerably worse after 80k miles.

Anyways, I personally would prefer a hydrogen powered car like the Honda clarity.

·
Registered
37 Posts
PhilZJ, I agree that that the ultimate goal would be FCX-style power. However, with the Hydrogen infrastructure still in its infancy, I think Honda may wait a few years before going that route.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is a long article but if you look towards the bottom, there is a discussion about Honda's plug-in plans. I have no idea where they are getting their information or how accurate it is but for what it's worth:
2013 Honda Odyssey Review and Prices | iGuida
This is the part of the article that talks about the hybrid:
As for Odyssey’s longer-term future, Honda acknowledges plans to introduce plug-in hybrid technology for “midsize and larger vehicles.” It’s targeting calendar 2012 or so for the first such offering, though it’s mum on which of its models are in line for this system. Plug-in hybrids are distinct from pure-electric vehicles like the Nissan Leaf, which aren’t supplemented by on-board gas engines. Plug-in hybrids combine gas and electric power and extend their electric-only range with battery charges drawn from wall sockets.
Honda’s plug-in hybrid plans for midsize and larger vehicles could include the Odyssey, and could be put into place around the time of this one’s midcycle updates. Another possibility, just as intriguing and perhaps a better fit for Odyssey would be a low-emission diesel engine.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The 4th gen has a got a good boost of gas mileage on the highway but its gas mileage in the city remains so so. It can use all the help one can get, not necessary from hydride technology, whose downsides are cost and potential reduction in cargo space. Compared to its competitors, Honda's power train seems a bit conservative (if not outdated). A 6-speed just showed up but is only available to the Touring. Better transmission can save gas too, not to mention other tricks such as turbo, direct injection, etc.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Honda has Ody hybrids in Japan.
As for diesels, they opted to stop development for the US market.
The have four cylinder diesels in the Rest of tge world. Look at the Accord, CRV, CIVIC, on Honda's websites eg Honda UK

·
Registered
58 Posts
What i would love to see is the Buick kind eAssit system. Cheaper and also the most gas is used in accelerating the beast. With this eAssit you cna hold the cost down and increase the mileage.

A turbo diesel 4 is a perfect application too , the torque moving the thing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts