Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2011 Odyssey has been getting good reviews for the most part, but quite a few automotive writers have knocked off points as a result of Honda using a 5-speed transmission at the EX-L trim level and below. And they should, since all of the Odyssey's competitors have 6-speed ATs.

Does anyone here think that Honda will start putting a 6-speed AT in all fourth-generation Odysseys in a bid to remain competitive? I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 2011 Odyssey EX-L, but I know I'll regret it if the 2012 Odyssey EX-L gets the 6-speed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
A birdie who works for corporate told me it will be available in MY2013. But some people on these forums will tell you their sources state otherwise so it's hard to tell.... I drove both and it's nearly impossible to tell the difference...

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
I have no crystal ball, but I can tell you that Honda took 3 years to replace the 4-speed (1999) with the 5-speed (2002). I would say it's unlikely that the 2012 will get the 6-speed in all models, but I think it will eventually come. It probably attracts many customers into a more profitable Touring that might have planned on an EX-L.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I agree that the 6-speed probably tempts a lot of people into purchasing the Touring. Unfortunately, the only extra features on the Touring that I really care about are the 6-speed AT and the fog lights. While I could afford the $6,300 premium, I'm not willing to pay it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think it'll still be a touring exclusive for '12 and become standard across the model as part of a refreshening.

·
Administrator
14,510 Posts
I am sorry but my crystal ball broke this past weekend. :(

:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

I agree that the 6-speed probably tempts a lot of people into purchasing the Touring. Unfortunately, the only extra features on the Touring that I really care about are the 6-speed AT and the fog lights. While I could afford the $6,300 premium, I'm not willing to pay it.
We were in the same boat - I really wanted the 6 speed, we both really really wanted the memory seats, but we didn't care for the RES. That's a lot of dough to cough up for memory seats. We are happy with the EX-L with Navi.

I didn't drive a Touring so can't opine on the 5 speed vs the 6 speed, but the 5 speed is perfectly adequate. That being said, the Sienna drivetrain is absolutely superior to the Honda, but the Ody trumps the Sienna in just about every other category IMHO.

You know you can add on the fog lights pretty easily to an EX-L?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Do you mean the Honda kit? How much different is it than other models, you still have to take the bumper off don't you? thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree that the 6-speed probably tempts a lot of people into purchasing the Touring.
Why would you think this is the case?

Other than slightly better freeway fuel mileage I can't think of any reason to choose the 6-speed. With the slight difference if fuel mileage there is no way the extra cost will ever net a return on the investment.

This is mostly a case of marketing over any real world advantage. A lot of folks may perceive some value in 6 or 7 speed transmission when in reality there is very little tangible difference. The typical engine has an adequately broad torque curve in which a 5 speed is all that is needed. The only real advantage of the 6 speed is the slightly taller gearing at high speeds that net a slight increase in fuel mileage.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do you mean the Honda kit? How much different is it than other models, you still have to take the bumper off don't you? thanks.
Yes, you have to take the bumper off, but the directions don't look that hard. FYI, Honda publishes the instructions for all their accessories on their estore website here: https://estore.honda.com/accesssory...nda&year=2011&model=Odyssey&modelname=Odyssey

They also publish the shop hours it takes to put on each of those accessories - which makes it interesting when you look at the "installed" price to see what different dealers charge.

Honda does make it difficult to cross shop dealers estore prices - you have to back out and put in a different zip code to select a different dealer each time - but it is possible and worth it as the prices dealers charge varies fairly wildly (at least with the metro DC dealers).

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is mostly a case of marketing over any real world advantage. A lot of folks may perceive some value in 6 or 7 speed transmission when in reality there is very little tangible difference. The typical engine has an adequately broad torque curve in which a 5 speed is all that is needed. The only real advantage of the 6 speed is the slightly taller gearing at high speeds that net a slight increase in fuel mileage.
True, but remember - people buy cars based on perceived value, and as Toyota moves to being run by marketing people more than engineers (the Sienna has more flashy equipment but is not as well engineered overall, in my opinion), Honda needs to remain competitive.

The reason I was more interested in the 6 speed is that I feel the engine / trans combo in the Ody is adequate, but not nearly as good as the Toyota powertrain. A 6th gear helps bring the Honda powertrain closer to the Toyota. The Ody trans is fairly smooth, but it would be smoother with closer gear ratios and the engine would feel less burdened. Plus, I think my real-world gas mileage would be a higher improvement than the EPA figures lead you to believe.

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
probably all trims will have it by the mid-cycle refresh, that's what a few other websites think too.

I got the Touring because of all the features, I could care less about which transmission it had.

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I find it interesting that Honda has controlled the tester vehicles for all the car mags to only drive the Touring - I haven't read a test yet of an EX or EX-L (or an LX). You do have a good point about the trans.

Having not driven them back to back, I can't opine. Anyone who had driven them back to back care to offer your opinion?

·
Registered
687 Posts

Other than slightly better freeway fuel mileage I can't think of any reason to choose the 6-speed. With the slight difference if fuel mileage there is no way the extra cost will ever net a return on the investment.
I didn't value the 6AT for the fuel savings. I valued it for how smooth it shifts gears and the slight increase in acceleration. In that respect, the 6AT does the job with great aplomb!

:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
We were in the same boat - I really wanted the 6 speed, we both really really wanted the memory seats, but we didn't care for the RES. That's a lot of dough to cough up for memory seats. We are happy with the EX-L with Navi.

I didn't drive a Touring so can't opine on the 5 speed vs the 6 speed, but the 5 speed is perfectly adequate. That being said, the Sienna drivetrain is absolutely superior to the Honda, but the Ody trumps the Sienna in just about every other category IMHO.

I could have written the exact same thing. Our kids are long gone so the RES is of little to no value to us but I would love the 6 speed and am torn between just going with the 5 speed that's available now or wait and hope the 6 speed moves down in trim levels for 2012. I can't wait forever since our 2001 Caravan has nearly 170,000 miles on it with the original transmission.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The 6spd is buttery smooth. When we test drove in March, I could tell a slight difference in the powertrains. Fuel savings won't off set costs, but it does feel good to get over 27 on the road consistently with a full load. I'm sure we could hit 30 if we were just going for an overnight stay and not have the back window completely covered up with stuff!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

We will be going from a Mazda CX-9 with a 6-speed transmission to a fourth-generation Honda Odyssey. The CX-9's transmission is noticeably smoother than the 5-speed transmission in the Odyssey EX-L that I drove. The quicker acceleration on the 6-speed Odyssey also appeals to me. There are certain situations where you can't have too much get-up-and-go (and no, I'm not talking about street racing).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts