Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 odyssey EX with 40K mile on it. Wonder if the vehicle is repairable? Both tires on the passenger side blew, and all airbags on the left popped. None of the doors worked. Engine still running, but couldn’t be turned off so its power had to be manually disconnected. If repairable, how much depreciation would I have to eat up when sell it later as used?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Totaled IMO. The pillar between the drivers door and the sliding door is toast and that is structural.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My 2018 odyssey EX with 40K mile on it. Wonder if the vehicle is repairable? Both tires on the passenger side blew, and all airbags on the left popped. None of the doors worked. Engine still running, but couldn’t be turned off so its power had to be manually disconnected. If repairable, how much depreciation would I have to eat up when sell it later as used?
Looking at the ODY, damage to front fender/drivers door/left side sliding door/left rear fender, A/B/C pillars drivers door-left sliding door sill plate, were tires punctured or did they just loose their seals from impact of ODY also if the rims were damaged as well, roof edge line on top of drivers door and left sliding door. The Honda has many crumple zones so it would have to be looked at under the vehicle and interior roof cover removed to verify damage to left roof side The crumple zones will tell if it can be repaired under 50% of vehicle cost. With that much damage done, I would say you at a 50-60% depreciation when you sell it, you will never get perfect seals on the doors again and I have not ever seen a car with this damage not have additional creeks rattles and groans. Their also could be some alignment problems if this traveled to you front and rear suspension. Myself I would not trust the vehicle and have the insurance company pay for it.

Was everyone ok from the accident?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hopefully everyone is OK. The van looks repairable from 20 feet away but the real trick will be if roof is crinkled or the floor between doors. It’s 50/50. I’d push to total but your not going to like the money they offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
Get the best settlement you can from the insurance company and walk away.

If you can't tell the shop bidding on repairs you'll be bringing your own "independent inspector" with you to review all repairs before accepting it back. That both warns the shop not to low ball the estimate in hopes you'll accept a shoddy repair and motivates them to tag it totaled to avoid having to deal with a likely to be really picky customer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looks totaled. If so, maybe remove the roof rack to use on a replacement Ody, or you could sell it if you get a different van. If the engine does not have the knock problem, there are several folks on this forum who would probably love to buy it from the insurance company.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Totaled in my opinion. Repairs quickly add up and anything structural is bad.

Agree with pushing for it to be totaled and if your state allows, pain and suffering or depreciation if other at fault.

If somehow it’s fixed I would drive it straight from the body shop to the dealer or car max and get whatever you can for it. Would not want to drive my family in something that required that extensive repairs.

Hope everybody is okay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the response and advise. My family is okay but my wife, the driver, feeling quite a bit of pain in her joints and her neck. I plan to take them (wife and son) to see an orthopedic tomorrow. COVID19 and now this accident... the rental company is also closed for COVID... they only deliver to your door but delivery is understaffed.... crazy timing. Obviously the other driver ran through red signal... lucky we had a witness.
Everyone stay safe, drive safe.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thank you all for the response and advise. My family is okay but my wife, the driver, feeling quite a bit of pain in her joints and her neck. I plan to take them (wife and son) to see an orthopedic tomorrow. COVID19 and now this accident... the rental company is also closed for COVID... they only deliver to your door but delivery is understaffed.... crazy timing. Obviously the other driver ran through red signal... lucky we had a witness.
Everyone stay safe, drive safe.
That's great that your family survived. My wife was also in a drivers side accident. No airbags however. She was taken in a ambulance for neck/head injuries. Nothing was broken, but the Neurologist said she would have a lot of aches and pain in her neck. The other driver was driving across main streets from side street and yes driving through Stop signs in residential area. Police measured the braking distance and calculated that he was at 50 MPH in a 25 MPH zone. Even to this date she get's a stiff neck from that accident 23 years ago. The car was impacted on the driver's side front fender and drivers door. It was a 1968 Chevelle, and in those days it was not worth keeping, so they totaled the car.

If anything, Honda's has very good safety for people that is. It is one of the reason we also bought our 2018 ODY.
Hope your wife and son checks out well at the orthopedic.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Glad to hear everybody is okay. The other persons insurance company will likely try to push you to sign off on everything as soon as possible to close liability. Often things show up weeks or months or even longer. Take your time and make sure everybody sees a doctor. Good luck!

·
Registered
538 Posts
It looks totaled as well in my opinion. Even though is a new 2018 model and still has value to compete for a repair that structural damage may not be worthy for the insurance company to fix. They will likely send it to IAAI get some money back and call it a day.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Incredible how the B pillar stood up so well to block the other car from penetrating into the cabin. Some structural parts protect the occupants by crumpling, but this pillar worked simply by brute strength. Clearly the engineers nailed this part of the Ody's design.

Sadly, I agree that the van will likely be totaled. However, cars can be replaced easily It's people who are irreplaceable.

Hope your wife and son recover fully soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad your family is ok, and hope that medical checks out ok. Beware, there may be lasting effects from this accident. If the van is fixed I'd do what Hodog16 mentioned, trade it in asap.

We got rear ended in our 2012 Accord several years back, everyone checked out ok, but my wife and daughter still have occasional pain issues. Fellow ran through a red light, had a current insurance card, but when my insurance company tried to settle with them, they said it had been cancelled prior to the accident. Apparently the owner renewed the insurance just long enough to get a current card and then cancelled it (that's what he showed to law enforcement officials). My insurance company had to pay for our repairs, and basically couldn't get any resolve from the driver or his insurance company.

Well upon the return of our fixed car, I went within that week and traded it in for our 2014 accord, felt the 2012 would never be right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You asked about depreciation as a result of the accident. IF the accident was NOT your fault and the vehicle is repairable, get a quote from your dealer of the loss of value due to a CarFax accident report, and submit it on the claim as a loss of value reimbursement. Get this in a separate check, then trade it in.
If you caused the accident, just bend over and take it, how ever much the loss is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you buy it new? If not, how old was the van when you purchased it? Also, if you bought it new, did you purchase insurance to replace (replacement cost) the van for a new one? Most people don't buy that insurance coverage because of the additional cost. Instead, they purchase ACV (actual cash value) coverage which pays to fix the vehicle in the case of a loss, and then the insurance company will pay you what the van is worth at the time of the loss.

There are three possible scenarios that you will want to consider. First, if you bought replacement cost coverage, you are in good shape. The insurance company must pay you enough to replace the van with a new one.

Second, if you have ACV coverage, you need to decide what to do if the van is totaled. Can it be fixed and if so will it cost you more than it is worth to do so. If the van can be fixed, but it will never handle the same, it probably won't be in your best interest to fix it.

Third, if you have ACV coverage and it can be fixed without any noticeable change in handling, etc. you will still have a vehicle that has lost much of its resale value. If you can drive it safely and it doesn't shake, rattle, run through tires quickly, etc., you may want to keep it for a long time. If you sell it too soon, you will lose money because a wrecked van is never worth one that hasn't been in a wreck.

I hope that I have clarified some things for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Probably a good testament to benefit of side air bags.
A few years ago, I think it was a 2004 Ody pulling into intersection from a hospital near me, was broadsided like that by a pickup running a red light doing est. 50-55 in a 40 zone. Two people killed. Visual damage was somewhat worse than yours.

·
Registered
219 Posts
if the seat and side curtain airbags deployed its a parts car...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts