Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2012 Touring I picke up last week. Starting at 55mph, and progressively worse, (I cruise at about 75-80) the wind in the cabin gets pretty loud. It's like driving on a windy highway where you get the gushes of wind that sound like it's going across the car.

However the worst part is on the driver side window at the top left corner the wind sound is very obvious. So much that if you simply put a small rag into the corner the sound clearly goes away. So thinking I had something defective I took it into the dealer today. Technician drove with me and agreed it was loud and could be muffled with a rag. Later that day he drove another 2012 touring and said it was obvious in that one as well. (Right side passenger does not have this problem btw)

I then went back to the dealer, we drove a 3rd car and that one too could easily be heard on the driver side, with and without the rag.

He didn't know how to fix it since they haven't seen many 2012 Odyssey's in yet. I contacted Honda thru twitter @hondacustsvc and they assigned me a case manager who's looking into it.

I searched the boards and dont' see many people complaining about this. Given there were 3 2012 Odyssey's that had this were they all a bad batch? Are we crazy? Is this only on the touring?

Anyone else notice this? please let me know as I'm a bit frustrated on this. The other car we drove btw sounded quieter to me in regards to front windshield wind noise. I'm hoping it's easily fixable and that I don't have a lemon.

If you read this review from Edmunds 2012 Honda Odyssey
"On the inside, the 2012 Honda Odyssey is as quiet as a premium luxury sedan. Road and wind noise are almost completely absent, as is noise from the drivetrain. Honda's continuing use of active noise-cancelling technology contributes to the impressively peaceful cabin by emitting counter-phase sound through the speakers to eliminate much of the drone that passengers would otherwise hear."

I was hoping for this quiet minivan, instead it's a pretty windy one :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, I am having the same issue. Mine starts at about 50 MPH and stays until you drop below that speed. Has to be the rubber gasket not quite sealing against the door frame. I have not had a chance to bring it back to the dealer yet, but it will be a part of my next visit. Would love to hear if you make progress with your case.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think we need to identify replacement weatherstripping for that area... with Honda's help.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Odysseynewbie - please repost to this board when you hear about your open case. There apppears to be some level of common issue here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Found on main page (Problems and Concerns)
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/A111100.PDF
See full info above:
[FONT=Helvetica,Bold][FONT=Helvetica,Bold][FONT=Helvetica,Bold]
Wind Noise From the
Dashboard Area?​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Bold][FONT=Helvetica,Bold]
Currently Applies To:​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
’08–’11 Accord

[FONT=Helvetica,Bold][FONT=Helvetica,Bold]
EDITOR’S NOTE:​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
This article updates the affected
vehicles in the
[FONT=Helvetica,Bold][FONT=Helvetica,Bold]June 2010 [/FONT][/FONT]article. The change is
highlighted in
red.
Got a wind noise coming from the dashboard area?
Missing grommets from under the windshield might
be the reason why. There are three grommets
involved: one
[FONT=Helvetica,Bold][FONT=Helvetica,Bold]11 mm [/FONT][/FONT]grommet at each corner, and
one
[FONT=Helvetica,Bold][FONT=Helvetica,Bold]7 mm [/FONT][/FONT]grommet just to the left of the middle as
you’re facing the engine. This photo shows you their
exact locations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I started a new thread so that I could forward this to the Honda Case Manager and the other thread was a bit more about a whistle then what I'm hearing which is gusts of wind. (sorry, should we merge it?)

Interesting to see others having the same problem, an ugly wind deflector I'm hoping is not the solution!

Sawadee, thanks for the link, wonder if that applies to the odyssey

For those that have the same wind sound, try driving with a rag in your hand and shoving it up there and pulling it away (be careful on the freeway :)

Would love to hear if you guys also can "plug" the noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I was quite surprise to hear what sounded like a piece of flapping plastic in the upper corner of the driver side window, rearward, when the window was open...can't really remember how fast I was going...probably close to freeway speed. I put my hand up there to see if there was something caught and it stopped. Haven't bothered to bring it up to the dealer yet.

Very interested to know the outcome of the case with Honda.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Similar wind noise on my '12 Odyssey TE. At 65+ MPH I can hear wind leaking into the driver window by my left ear. It's a low but audible wind gushing noise when I leaned to the window. If I don't tilt my head to the window side, it's barely noticeable. But agreed with everyone it's something Honda needs to find a solution.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I haven't driven it for a few days (my wife's primary transport - not mine), but the last time I did on the highway, I could push the rubber seal in the corner to silence the noise. Not the best driving position, so I would really like to hear any Honda response to the issue.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just think overall that the Odyssey is a very noisy car, especially when driving at highway speeds. I thought this was normal, and something I would have to get used to (though I expected more from my Elite). However, I will try to cover up that spot to see if there is any significant reduction in noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I started a new thread so that I could forward this to the Honda Case Manager and the other thread was a bit more about a whistle then what I'm hearing which is gusts of wind. (sorry, should we merge it?)

Interesting to see others having the same problem, an ugly wind deflector I'm hoping is not the solution!

Sawadee, thanks for the link, wonder if that applies to the odyssey

For those that have the same wind sound, try driving with a rag in your hand and shoving it up there and pulling it away (be careful on the freeway :)

Would love to hear if you guys also can "plug" the noise.
I can plug the noise in the same way, 2012 Touring, 400 miles on it. Haven't spoke to dealer about it, from what I'm reading they wouldn't know what to do about it, so I'm waiting until they do.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't know why this couldn't be "fixed" with a modified rubber seal. It seems like it just needs to be thicker.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's important for everyone to tell their dealer so that there is enough complaints and that Honda creates a service bulletin for it.. So please if you are having the issue, tell your dealer to tell their Honda rep! I sent over this thread to Honda as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heard back from my rep. hoping to schedule a test drive soon, although we are out of town for the next week so it might 1st week of January. There are a few more folks over on the edmunds forum with the same problem (I posted over there as well)
2012 Wind noise driver side defect? test drove 3 vans - Car Forums - Edmunds

where else are folks? I want to aggregate them over to this post as Honda indicated they are now reading this post (I sent it over).

Now of course I can't stop not hearing it :( now that I know it's there.. It's like getting a door ding, you almost don't want to know where it is. But after 50MPH it's definitely there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same Wind Noise Issue - 2011 EX-L

You can direct the Honda folks over to my post of 12/2010 - Anyone with 2011 experiencing "wind whistle" or wind noise - and all the other Honda Odyssey Owners experiencing wind noise issues even on the 2011 models.

So far, no fix from Honda. My Service Manager is going to look at the molding on the Driver's side door and the Driver's Side Mirror.

·
Registered
197 Posts
We just started getting the wind noise from the driver's window in the past couple weeks that the OP is talking about. I have a 2011 EX-L. To be very clear, this is not a whistle and is not coming from the dash area. It's definitely a gusty wind noise from the driver's window area when driving at faster speeds. I'll be taking mine in sometime soon for other things and will ask the dealer about this. Also noteworthy is that this is definitely a new noise that did not exist for nearly a year, but now suddenly does almost all the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just picked up my Odyssey TE yesterday afternoon. Drove home 100miles. Did not hear the wind noise from the driver's side or the passenger's side.
Checked carefully. Will be keeping a close eye (ear) on this..

1 - 20 of 104 Posts