Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else heard this wind howl coming from the 2002. I really only hear it when it is windy outside and lately that has been pretty much every day since we got the van. I do not have the crossbars on the roof. Maybe it is coming from the mirrors. Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this noise. Other than that extremely happy with the van.

------------------
2002 Starlight Silver EXL-RES

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have also noticed this "Howling" and do not have the crossbars. I've only heard it a couple of times, but when I did, it sounds like it is coming from the top seal between the drivers side door and the sliding door but have been unable to confirm this.

------------------
'02 EP Odyssey EX
'92 Accord LX
'86 CIVIC Si

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've heard it to a little bit. But mostly it's wind noise for me.

------------------
Steve

2002 Red Ody EX.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I heard it yesterday for the first time. At 70 MPH there is definitely some type of wind howling noise. I don't have the cross bars installed either. I didn't hear the howl while driving the Ody home for the first time, about a 35 mile drive. Friday evening I installed the splash guards and took a short road trip on Saturday. That's when I first noticed the howl. Do any of you that hear the howl have splash guards installed?

-John
-John

·
Registered
23 Posts
SloopJohnB,

Did you have to remove the rear tires to install the mud guards? I'm getting mine tomorrow from H&A so I was wondering how hard it was. I put the leather on the steering wheel and I like it. Although, it doesn't fit perfectly, so when I double checked the web site I noticed they're now saying not available yet. I guess they're getting the wrap that will fit perfectly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
oc2002ody,

No I didn't pull the rear wheels. If I had a good floor jack I probably would have. I used a very short phillips head screw driver and a right angle screw driver I received with a Sears Craftsman screw driver set I purchased years ago. I applied a good coat of wax to the areas that would be covered by the splash guards. It only took about an hour to do all four wheels.

-John

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have also heard the wind howl and was starting to think it was just my van and a trip to the dealer maybe necessay. Sounds we all have a common complaint.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also have the wind noise. It seems to come from the from driver side window or front window when I drive above 70. Its not real loud but its there. I don't have cross members on the carrier.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it is definitely coming from the drivers side area. Don't know exactly where it is coming from but I need to get it fixed. Hopefully it is not a big deal to remedy. Has anyone else taken back to dealer for this problem and if so what was the cure. Thanks everyone.

------------------

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I don't know if this is the problem or not, but I've heard reports of various Hondas having windshield trim that sets up a howl much as you describe.

It may be worth the time and effort to run a few pieces of heavy tape around the windshield reveal molding trying to cover the whole area from the glass to the body. Take a ride and see if the noise goes away. If it does, a trip to the dealer is in order. Come to think of it, a trip to the dealer is in order anyway.
Goood luck.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had our 2002 for about a week, and just took our first trip down to Indy. The weather conditions were like a Nor'easter on the way down, and both my wife and I notice a wind "whistle". I really believe it was coming from the radio antenna, as the harmonics of it would change as the "bend" in the antenna would alter with the wind. The wind was exceptionally strong and we were doing right at 75 mph.

On the way back, the wind has subsided significantly, and consequently, so did the wind "whistle". Since we were aware of the noise, we were specifically trying to listen for it, but it was gone.

I'm convinced that it was related to the antenna. If I find that it occurs too often for me, then I will probably look into a replacement radio mast. Makes me wonder why Honda didn't go for the antenna in the windshield glass. I have it in my Avalon, and it works great...reception in FM and AM is fine. I routinely get AM stations at night from 500-1000 miles away.

------------------
JetJock

"If there is nothing worth dying for, then there is probably nothing worth living for"

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had my 2002 for almost a week. The first time I was in it my wife and I both noticed a howling noise from the wind. We do have the roof rack cross bars. The dealer claims it is probably the cross bars. It's pretty much always windy here and I always start to hear it at 40 mph heading into the wind. I haven't had time to take the cross bars off yet, but when I do I'll comment further.
Wouldn't that be something if it is the antennae!
I also have splash guards.

[This message has been edited by bt (edited 10-16-2001).]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope it is the antenna because it is still present and drives me crazy. That would be the easiest and cheapest remedy for this problem. Has anyone taken theirs back to the dealer to fix? If so, what have they said about it? Thank you.

------------------

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have seen cars on the road that have little balls, plastic animals, etc. that they attach to their antennas. Would some kind of weight on the antenna like that change the harmonics? Obviously something that looked decent and not silly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 02ODDYSEA:
I hope it is the antenna because it is still present and drives me crazy. That would be the easiest and cheapest remedy for this problem. Has anyone taken theirs back to the dealer to fix? If so, what have they said about it? Thank you.

</font>

Don't think it's the antenna. I have howl that starts around 40mph. Sometimes it gets drowned out by all the rattles if the road isn't brand new and perfectly smooth. I just completed the S2000 antenna swap and it had no affect on the wind noise.

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gettin'AVan:
S2000 Antenna swap?

Sorry for being slow but I must have been sick that day.
</font>

Several owners have replaced their stock antennas with the Honda S2000 short antenna. I believe it was Chuck that started the trend. You can see examples of it on his site.

Chucks pics:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/E5EF2F60BF78337

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tomhan:

Several owners have replaced their stock antennas with the Honda S2000 short antenna. I believe it was Chuck that started the trend. You can see examples of it on his site.

Chucks pics:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/E5EF2F60BF78337

</font>
FWIW, we had a Celica GT-S ordered for my wife early this year and I was lurking around the Celica groups to see what was going on and came across the S2000 antenna. A lot of folks were swapping out that antenna on the Celicas and it sounded interesting for the Ody. I figured I could order one and if it didn't work I could always use it on the Celica.

The rest is history. Both of our cars now have them. The odd part is that the S2000 Honda part fits the Toyota with no modification, but needs to be altered to fit another Honda.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
185 Posts
OK, I'll bite (well, I guess I bit before). Are you guys doing the replacement because:

1 - It's short, therefore less likely to break.

2 - Looks cool.

3 - Gets better reception.

4 - More than one but not all of the above.

Dave

(I did search for this info but came up empty)

[This message has been edited by Gettin'AVan (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Registered
196 Posts
1 & 2 above. Also will be much easier to deal with a car cover when I get one. Reception seems about the same.

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

1 - 20 of 37 Posts