Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to match the existing tint on my 2020 odyssey. Does anyone know the percentage tint on the existing rear and slider windows? I want the tint guy to try to get as close as possible. Thanks

·
Registered
'03 Honda Odyssey LX '03 Acura CL Type S
25 Posts
Probably 20%. I suggest checking your state's tint laws. In many states it is illegal to have 20% in the front windows. However, the percentage is not as important as matching the film color (as there are multiple options). I recommend going with a 35% tint in the front windows to avoid any issues with law enforcement, or if your state is relatively lenient, then go with 20% but know you could get a ticket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
20% on my ‘18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Tsfrederick333

·
Registered
483 Posts
Most good tint shops will have a machine to check your tint levels, they need that to stay under the state limits on tinting. Their samples will help you get close on the color.

If you are from a state with no rules I'd get the tint folks to check what you have against their sample pieces to get close on both tint percentage and color.

·
Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
539 Posts
I’m looking to match the existing tint on my 2020 odyssey. Does anyone know the percentage tint on the existing rear and slider windows? I want the tint guy to try to get as close as possible. Thanks
The factory tinted glass percentage doesn't fall on the traditional window tint (5%) increment scale. Even reputable tint shops will tell you that they can't match it exactly 1:1 / 100%, because the % of the factory tinted glass falls somewhere ~30% +/-. I went with ~35% for the fronts and 75% for the front windshield. All Nano Ceramic (heat and IR rejection).

In most States the two fronts have to be lighter than the rears/back etc.. Check with your State's tint law to see what the rules are there and choose the tint percentages accordingly.

* The 35% that I went with for the fronts are lighter (clearer) than the factory tinted glass by a tad, hence why I had mentioned a "few clicks," above, meaning that the factory tinted glass is somewhere around 30% +/-.

I like the 35% mark as it still provides a good amount of visibility at night. Going darker is no fun at night when you're trying to see things outside.

Here are some pics where you can see the fronts (35%) just being a tad lighter than the factory tinted glass.

·
Registered
25 Posts
* The 35% that I went with for the fronts are lighter (clearer) than the factory tinted glass by a tad, hence why I had mentioned a "few clicks," above. The factory tinted glass isn't quite 30% so I'm guessing it's about 33 or 34%...
Tint isn’t measured in “clicks”. I understand what you are saying, however it is fairy well spread knowledge that factory privacy glass is 15-25%. Per your pictures, 35% in the front is noticeably lighter than your factory privacy glass (although not that evident in the shade). A few percents lower in the tint doesn’t do that. Your Odyssey, like most cars with factory tint, falls in the range mentioned above, probably in the 20-25%, like most Japanese cars that come with tint from the factory.

My Mk 7 GTI didn’t come with tint and I had 35% all around and you could still see through from outside, even at night, which looks like your front windows. I have 20% in my CL and it is as dark as the factory tint in my Odyssey.

Bottom line for the OP: ask your tint guy to match your factory tint rather than ask for the specific percentage, unless you’d like to have that specific %.

Cheers

·
Registered
539 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Tint isn’t measured in “clicks”. I understand what you are saying, however it is fairy well spread knowledge that factory privacy glass is 15-25%. Per your pictures, 35% in the front is noticeably lighter than your factory privacy glass (although not that evident in the shade). A few percents lower in the tint doesn’t do that. Your Odyssey, like most cars with factory tint, falls in the range mentioned above, probably in the 20-25%, like most Japanese cars that come with tint from the factory.

My Mk 7 GTI didn’t come with tint and I had 35% all around and you could still see through from outside, even at night, which looks like your front windows. I have 20% in my CL and it is as dark as the factory tint in my Odyssey.

Bottom line for the OP: ask your tint guy to match your factory tint rather than ask for the specific percentage, unless you’d like to have that specific %.

Cheers
Yea I know. I just said clicks as to demonstrate what I was referring to as it being a little darker. I figured most people would understand the point.

Not everyone wants to go the same % all around. Some like me want the two fronts to be a little lighter and in most States you have to depending on the tint laws in that given State.

I don't think the factory tinted glass is anywhere near 15%. I've held up a piece of 30% tint to the front windows when deciding what % to go with and was pretty close to the factory tinted glass.

At any rate, I don't know where you're getting 15% from, but that's fairly well spread disinformation as far as I'm concerned.

Do you really think a factory tint will come 15% when in most states that would be illegal? 🤔 (US market that is).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not everyone wants to go the same % all around. Some like me
Read OP’s post and perhaps you realize he/she was asking a different thing than what you proclaimed to be the ultime truth.

I don't know where you're getting 15% from, but that's fairly well spread disinformation as far as I'm concerned.
You must held all the knowledge and know everything about tint because you put (not installed) a 30% tint next to your minivan factory window tint and your naked eye was able to compare and determine it was very similar.

Do you really think a factory tint will come 15% when in most states that would be illegal? 🤔 (US market that is).
Also, in almost most states you can tint your rear windows as dark as you’d like but there are laws regulating how dark the front windows can be. Tinting your windshield at all is not allowed in many states. States with stricter tint laws do not allow front windows to be tinted below 50% or even 70% (looking at you East Coast).

Most Japanese cars come with factory tints around 20-25% and most American cars come in the range of 15-20%.

On a side note, I don’t know why you feel the need to call information that is easily demonstrable “disinformation”, just because it seems to disagree with your point. Especially when it seems like you are just presenting your opinion as facts without supporting it. People can disagree and still be respectful to one another.

Ask any tint guy and they’ll tell you what factory tint is.

Cheers

·
Registered
539 Posts
Read OP’s post and perhaps you realize he/she was asking a different thing than what you proclaimed to be the ultime truth.

You must held all the knowledge and know everything about tint because you put (not installed) a 30% tint next to your minivan factory window tint and your naked eye was able to compare and determine it was very similar.

Also, in almost most states you can tint your rear windows as dark as you’d like but there are laws regulating how dark the front windows can be. Tinting your windshield at all is not allowed in many states. States with stricter tint laws do not allow front windows to be tinted below 50% or even 70% (looking at you East Coast).

Most Japanese cars come with factory tints around 20-25% and most American cars come in the range of 15-20%.

On a side note, I don’t know why you feel the need to call information that is easily demonstrable “disinformation”, just because it seems to disagree with your point. Especially when it seems like you are just presenting your opinion as facts without supporting it. People can disagree and still be respectful to one another.

Ask any tint guy and they’ll tell you what factory tint is.

Cheers
Perhaps you should re-read the OP.

"I’m looking to match the existing tint on my 2020 odyssey. Does anyone know the percentage tint on the existing rear and slider windows? I want the tint guy to try to get as close as possible. Thanks"

The OP is looking to match his "existing," tint and wanting to get as close to it as possible.

Let's not forget that you're the one that mentioned the number 15%, so I don't know what you're talking about when you try to claim that I know everything about tint?

You failed by mentioning wrong information and quoting a ridiculously low % of 15. That is called "disinformation," far from what is accurate in respect to what is on our Ody and you go as far as to try and support this by a wiki link? Seriously? That's where you messed up.

You're the one that spewed out an extremely low % that would get someone a ticket in most states, IF they were to tint their fronts that low. Come on ... think a little.

You only mentioned alleged factory tint percentages and failed to not specify any more details. Based on that someone could think based on your false numbers that they could tint 15% on the fronts. Are you seeing your mistakes now? I hope so... I'm sure others are.

For you're information, I did ask 3 tint shops who tint dealer cars on a regular basis and the information that they gave me specifically for the 2018+ Ody was that the factory tinted glass was not quite 35%, but a little below that. I then had a 30% film left over from a previous tint install and held it up against the Ody over the front windows, to get an "idea," and that is why I said what I said. An approximate, not some extremely low % far out of left base. Bit difference.

You're just now just mentioning fronts vs all around after I replied to you, how about that. Despite how dark factory tints come in cars (minus the fronts), in almost every State the fronts have to be lighter than the rest of the windows (not including the front windshield of course, sad that I even have to mention that, but there you go.)

So as the saying goes, 'what are you talking about Willis?" - You want to talk about respect? Then don't reply with snarky comments like "it is fairy well spread knowledge that factory privacy glass is 15-25%...,." especially when you're very wrong and could get someone in trouble.

You're barking up the wrong tree and it makes me upset when people like you "know it alls," try to mislead people and that's why I'm replying back to you in detail. 15%? come on man...

And for your information, I don't know everything and when I don't I tend to tag other fellow members who are more knowledgeable in those areas. So again, you've failed with another lie.

So let the jury decide... what if the OP, based on your "disinformation," went with a 15% tint on the front side windows, got a ticket and had to redo it all again with having to spend more money?

Would you blame wiki? 🤦‍♂️

Case closed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When did I say that he/she should get 15%? Where do you see me recommending 15% to the OP?

You are a great demagogue, yet you are misconstruing what I wrote. The beauty of it is that it is all there to be read. If anything, my first response says it all. Probably 20%, but my first suggestion was that he/she checks his/her state’s tint law.

But hey, I’m very wrong and you are very right. Bigly right.

Cheers.

·
Registered
539 Posts
When did I say that he/she should get 15%? Where do you see me recommending 15% to the OP?

You are a great demagogue, yet you are misconstruing what I wrote. The beauty of it is that it is all there to be read. If anything, my first response says it all. Probably 20%, but my first suggestion was that he/she checks his/her state’s tint law.

But hey, I’m very wrong and you are very right. Bigly right.

Cheers.
When you state 15% and provide a link as a measly way to support it... 🤦‍♂️ That's where you messed up.

Then you try to deny ever saying it? Hmmm..

Back to the topic, if you call around to reputable tint shops, most if not all will tell you that they can get close to the factory tinted glass, but not exact.

The factory tinted glass doesn't fall exactly on the 5% increment scale that most tint films come in. This is precisely why most tint shops say that they can get close to it, which means that the factory tinted glass falls somewhere between (1-5) "clicks" between a certain range, approximately around 30% +/- on our Odys. (Check with your State tint laws and do your own due diligence before proceeding of course.)

The characteristics of the tint tone / color is slightly different as well with factory tinted glass vs some tint films. Good quality nano ceramic tint for example has a slight warm/grayish hue vs the cheaper films that can have a purple hue from it being just a cheap dyed tint film.

This is something to take into consideration if someone wants to match the factory tinted glass as close as possible. The factory tinted glass has a dark smokey hue so in order to get a good match one would have to find a good quality film that shares those characteristics.

ie... it's not about just finding the % and slapping that on and expecting it to match 1:1 to the factory tinted glass. It's also important to take into consideration the color/hue of the film as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Probably 20%. I suggest checking your state's tint laws. In many states it is illegal to have 20% in the front windows. However, the percentage is not as important as matching the film color (as there are multiple options). I recommend going with a 35% tint in the front windows to avoid any issues with law enforcement, or if your state is relatively lenient, then go with 20% but know you could get a ticket.
I’m going to quote myself because you apparently have some reading issues. Sorry, I failed to write it with colors so you can stay engaged.

You also don’t seem to differentiate my recommendation, and me stating 15-25% is the range in which factory tint falls, citing a Wikipedia article which seemed the most reliable source compared to a bunch of tint shops, people on reddit, people on car forums, etc. Next time I’ll cite Fox News, because that’s a good source for you, isn’t it?

Nonetheless, I already said you are very right. Your minivan is very special and falls outside the norm because it is yours and it is very special. Go on with your life feeling like you are right and you taught me an invaluable life lesson.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts