Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked the archives for information on aftermarket tinting for the front driver's and passenger's windows, but I can't seem to find any specific information and/or experiences documented of anyone having installed the tinting that most nearly matches the other (rear) windows.
I'd like to find the specific brand/type of tinting material used and specific process used so when I start contacting shops I can let them know exactly what I am looking for in terms of installing the best match. I don't want to be sold something that they say will match when in fact it just doesn't make the grade.
In Hawaii, many people just ignore the law and install whatever level of tinting they feel like without any worry of being cited by the police.
If anyone has the same dark level of tinting all around, does this, in your personal opinion, create more danger at night than the added benefits of daytime protection and sleeker look from the outside?

Thanks for any and all input on this subject. I have found that the information and opinions expressed here are very ofter better than the information I can get locally from the "experts" trying to sell you something or doing the actual work.

Mark

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mahalo Mark, my past experience, i've had limo all around, looks and feels great in day time, keeps inside cool, but at night, when i have to turn, i literally roll down the windows to see and when it rains, let me tell you bro, its a b??ch. also you gotta think about them cops, its a probable cause to pull you over, just in case you got some pakalolo in the ody. Mahalo from the main island!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well every places has tinting laws, so I'll check first. And I have 35% tint on the front windows, and I too roll the windows down whenever I make a turn.

------------------
Check out many pictures of the 2002 Toronto autoshow, our 01 GG EX, other 02 Odys, and various model cars at http://community.webshots.com/user/ddakrt

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I recently got my Civic tinted w/ 50% on the front and 13% on the back (okay, I wanted darker but I'm a sissy). I can't really say what process to use, but ask around and see what shops have good reputations.

I have noticed a slight difference at night, but I got used to it pretty quick. I have the most trouble with the distortion around the rear window defroster wires, but you won't have that problem.

The tinting also helped somewhat with the temp. inside as my car is in full sun all day. Unfortunately, the sun comes in through my windsheild so I still have to put up a visor.

During the daytime I can see just fine out of the windows. The place I got my car tinted at had pictures of their work and there was a S-10 with 5% all around. Now that's pushing it. You can ask to take a sample of the tint out to your van to find the correct tint grade.

Good luck,

Michelle

·
Registered
72 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yo to Ma:
I've checked the archives for information on aftermarket tinting for the front driver's and passenger's windows, but I can't seem to find any specific information and/or experiences documented of anyone having installed the tinting that most nearly matches the other (rear) windows.......
</font>
The rear windows are smoked glass not tinted with a film.
Aloha

·
Registered
383 Posts
I ordered my 2002 Navi with privacy glass up front from the dealer. It is a dealer mod, but was done yesterday by a glass shop here in town. They matched the front with the rear glass as close as they could and still be legal. The little decal says Net 28% and cites a SC law. The fronts are slightly brighter but that is barely noticeable. I like the way it looks. The installer said it would have cost me $50 if I had paid for it myself. There is a guarantee on it for as long as I own the van.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Window Darkening Film

There is a side to this issue that isn't obvious on the face of it. It is that other people can't see you if your side windows are too dark and they can't compensate for any mistake you may make.

My wife and I ride our tandem bicycle about 3000 miles a year and one safety practice I follow is to make eye contact with drivers on side roads who are waiting to enter the road we are riding on. Illegally dark drivers side windows of course preclude this and I have to use my best judgement as to whether the driver sees us. If we are the only traffic I may assume they see us and ride past but if there is motorized vehicle traffic they may be waiting on I just stop and let them come out. Most kids are not going to do that.

Ody people are considerate of others so please crank this info into your data base before making your decision as to how dark to make your side windows. The life you save could be mine.

Frank

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Re: Window Darkening Film

fcatwo said:
The life you save could be mine.
Or my dad's.

My dad is an avid road biker and the club he belongs to has had many, many close calls and a few significant injuries due to drivers not paying attention or giving bikers their right of way. It's already hard enough to see neutral colored cars, let alone bikers. Please be on the lookout for them.

Getting down from my soapbox...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Tinting

I tinted mine to match as close as possible while still being able to see out. I think it looks great and helps keep out the hot sun. They will make it as dark as you like but I do not recommend matching the back windows cause that will hinder night driving. It does not have to be all that dark to do the job. Most shops will warranty it for the life of the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts