Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our Ody, and are now considering tinting the front driver and passenger windows. Can anyone recommend a tint film and number (i.e. smoke 20) that would match the existing Ody windows.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hello FLozito, I am also getting the front windows tinted, this Thusday infact. I am getting it professionally done and am still deciding if I should go with a 35% film or 50%. I really don't want it to be that dark but just dark enough so it wouldn't be as hot in the summer.

I'll post some pics once afterward.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had mine tinted to 35% the day after I picked it up.

You can see pictures here:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/B677A18E3366FA5

DDakrt - I used Tint Zone on Steeles between Torbram and Bramalea. Good job, he charged me $60 but then had to use more expensive film as a 21" roll does not fit the window.

·
Registered
483 Posts
PD55:
When you say 35%, does this mean 35% light going through the tint? If this is the case, how come one guy told me that you can go as low as 28% light going through. Anything lower is illegal, at least here in Ontario.

Need clarification. Thanks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Window tint film is always measured in amount of light transmission. Nominally, 5% is about as dark as it goes, and is usually called something like "limo tint." 50% is about the lightest most commonly available - perfect for the front windows in my opinion. But anything darker than 80% net is illegal for the fronts in CA (they just came up with a 85% film to use on the fronts here in CA). FYI, factory "tinted" glass (what just about every car comes with now) is usually 90-95%, so not much.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuruma Hayai:
PD55:
When you say 35%, does this mean 35% light going through the tint? If this is the case, how come one guy told me that you can go as low as 28% light going through. Anything lower is illegal, at least here in Ontario.

Need clarification. Thanks.
</font>

Makes sense if it is true. 28% is darker than 35%, and if 28% is the darkest you can go legally, then you can't go with 20% or 15%, etc. The lower number will be a darker tint.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
184 Posts
I also want to tint the front windows (the rears are plenty dark for me) to match the rest of the van. One film I found that makes a nice match is Solarguard Quantum Neutral 50%VLT. It's a metallized film so it won't fade and is a very close match to existing film (it's slightly darker, but doesn't have that blue tone that "smoke" tints do).

Unfortunately, my van doesn't have it. I intended to do my own install, and tried to buy it from an online vendor(autowindowtintings.com AKA Alexias Auto Trim). That was back in July, and this very aggravating experience came to a head this evening. I'll spare you the details, but unless you enjoy frustration and belligerent "customer service" avoid these people.

When spring rolls around, maybe I'll look for another vendor, or a local installer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
In Ontario Canada the law does not identify a specific % as legal or not - it is entirely up to the discretion of the police officer. If he says it is too dark (front windows only) then it is too dark - you will be ticketted and it will need to be removed.
I wavered on 20% figuring I would not be bothered in a minivan - but ultimately chose the 35% just to avoid any hassels.

Mine is also a metallic tint and I was impressed with the work involved during the application. For metalic tint and the 40 minutes the guy spent on the van, $60 CDN was a steal. Moral of the story - this is something you should let a pro do!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a question for darelldd about the legality of any tinting on the front windows in CA. I was told by a CHP officer that any tinting on the front can be ticketed and that it is no longer a 'fix-it' ticket. Do you know this to be wrong? I would like to tint the front but not too eager to get a ticket.

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doug:
Do you know this to be wrong? </font>
Yes I do know that to be wrong. And I'm thrilled that you don't take a police officer's word for this. So many people make the mistake of thinking that the highway patrol officers know the entire vehicle code by heart, and that anything they say is law. Not the case.

The fact is, that USED to be the law, because nobody made a light enough tint film. They do now, specifically for CA front windows. 80% net is the law. You can't legally *add* 80% if your car comes from the factory with the very light "stock" tint that all cars have now. But like I said, there is a UV-filtering film now that can be legally added that keeps you above the 80% net.

I had a link to the law around here somewhere. I'll see if I can't dig it up for you.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well guess what? CA law changed again, and 70% net (slightly darker yet) is now legal limit on the front windows. they still call the film they use "clear" however.

I've found lots of "tint law" pages, but not the real one I had before. Still looking.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
251 Posts
Very nice PD55, I think I'll go with the 35% film. I am getting the tint done for free from our garage guy (he's having someone coming in to do this) because we've recommand so many purchase from him. He is also offering to tint our 98 Corolla LE and giving us a set of WeatherTech floor mats. I don't know if I really want to accept all those for free though.

I'll make sure I'll gave a little honk whenever I see a RRP Ody with the Ready Honda lisence plate frame...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have 20% tint for the front/passenger windows. It matches pretty well looking from the outside, but when looking out from the inside, you can tell it is slightly darker than stock. Takes some getting used to at night, though. I think tinting the front windows is one of the few things that quickly distinguishes your Ody from others on the road, gives it a more aggressive/sporty appearance. As for getting pull-over...I'm taking my chances since cops won't be looking for pimped out minivans, IMO. Plus, I'll just say it prevents the sun from getting into my 16 month-old's eyes (which is true...the sun makes her sneeze all the time and it's really hard to clean her nose while driving).

------------------
1999 CR-V EX - Silver
2001 Odyssey EX - Silver

·
Registered
479 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
Well guess what? CA law changed again, and 70% net (slightly darker yet) is now legal limit on the front windows. they still call the film they use "clear" however.

I've found lots of "tint law" pages, but not the real one I had before. Still looking.
</font>
darelldd,
Where did you get your information? My understanding is that California does not allow any film on front, driver and passenger windows. It has been some time since I had heard that, so maybe the law changed. I remember years ago having tint professionally installed and signing a release about tinting front windows. Although, they did include free removall if cited by police.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used to live in California, and the law stated "NO" tint on the front windows.. so naturally being the young punk mini trucker that I was I tinted them limo...5%.. LOL
So me and about twelve buddies were traveling to a show together and this CHP pulls up next to us and checks us out.. he tries to get in behind me and nails the front of my buddies truck, we all pulled over and laughed our butts off... my buddy got a free paint job courtesy of CHP..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts