Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The windshield on my '07 suddenly developed a crack. It doesn't seem to be caused by any of the usual reasons.

It's about four inches long and at the bottom of the passenger side, maybe a foot in from the side. It's not from the bottom edge - it stops maybe 3-4 inches from there. It's just a freestanding crack in the middle of the area.

I have examined it with a magnifying glass and by fingertip, with and without some light oil on the glass, and cannot see or feel the slightest chip or indentation. It looks as if the glass just... cracked. To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been hit by anything there, we haven't hit any noticeable bumps and there haven't been any particularly extreme temperatures.

Has anyone else had a spontaneous crack like this appear? Since it doesn't seem to have any specific cause, is it a long-delayed manufacturing defect? Do I have any chance of arguing Honda into a replacement? (I am the second owner.)

Any thoughts, pointers, recall notices, TSBs, etc. appreciated.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Mine did the same a couple of years ago on my '06 EXL. Cracked one day right in the center of the windshield for no reason at all and went up about 6". But mine looks like it came from the bottom of the windshield and went upwards. Didn't bother to change it but it hasn't cracked any farther.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd go with stress crack, but four-five years after manufacture?

I'm going to leave it and watch for spread, although I hate windshield cracks. I'd guess ballpark on a replacement is near $1k with a quality piece of glass - I hate crappy aftermarket glass, especially front ones, more than cracks. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Don't you have glass coverage on the auto insurance policy? It should only be your deductible and depending on what state you live, you can demand OEM glass. I got OEM glass for my Maxima but I had to ask for it explicitly here in NC. I have zero comprehensive deductible on my policy so glass is free for me but not sure how it works in your state/on your policy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I carry a higher deductible and am reluctant to put in minor claims for the usual reasons. So the replacement would be out of pocket for me. Since it's not my fault and not in any reasonable sense "normal" I may go make scary faces at the local Honda dealership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts