Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer ruined the windshield on my 2018 Honda Odyssey Elite. They have agreed to replace it, but the are saying it’s on back order, is this the truth or are they just stalling? They have had my van for almost a month, they gave me a base model to drive...

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,077 Posts
See if they'll give you a good trade in on it and get a good deal out of it. If I may, what were they doing to ruin it?

Reactions: robertwards

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Really curious ... how did they wreck a windshield? That takes a special degree of ineptitude or carelessness.

OF

Reactions: rocketman28

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really curious ... how did they wreck a windshield? That takes a special degree of ineptitude or carelessness.

OF
I took it in for a detail, they used something to clean it, my husband thinks they left it sitting in the sun with it on it. Whatever it was did permanent damage, no matter what we or they tried nothing works.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My wife took delivery of a new car for work. She went to the dealership to pick up the car. It was a wagon (decent company let her pick as long as they have corporate discount within certain $ amount). She opened up the hatch, lift up the carpet and found broken glass pieces in the spare wheelwell area. Then she noticed there were glue lines leftover on the bottom of the rear window. She put two and two together, called and sent me pictures. I told her yep, they must have broken the rear window and did a half fast job during delivery. I told her to reject the car and tell them to get another car. The dealer played dumb and apologized. Wife also asked me if it really matter, I said hell yeah, even though it's a work car, you don't want to deal with the potential aggravation that there may be leaks coming through the poorly sealed rear window. I don't like dealers.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I got a $1200 lesson about late model Honda windshields. Wife's car, '17 CRV. I was careless in changing wiper, arm snapped back against windshield and cracked it. With the lane departure and other special features using a camera, it also required aiming, calibration, etc. At least it was in stock at the parts distribution center.

I now put an old floor mat, used for years as a kneeling pad, on the windshield as step 1 when changing wiper blades.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure what area you are in and where the dealer is sourcing their stock. But for reference sake in NJ/PA area I had my elite windshield replaced a month ago by Safelite and long story short, first windshield had a flaw in it and asked if I could live with it, I said no. They ordered another one, I went home and then within 3 hours was back and they replaced it. It was OEM acoustic glass and they did an excellent job and all the calibrations required. The glass is expensive but I went through my auto insurance. So based on what area you live in, it could well be backordered. My experience was a month ago plus its deeper into winter and many windshields take damage so I don't know what it would be like trying to replace it today. However, maybe just check with your local Safelite Autoglass and see if they have stock.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Had mine replaced a year ago in Southeastern PA. We were traveling when a 9-inch long crack developed; set up an appointment with Safelite for a few days later when I would be back in town, and I insisted on using OEM replacement part.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have made the mistake of letting Safelite replace windows in the past. I still regret letting them do the windshileld in my '02 Ody, replaced about 10 years ago. The color and overall quality are poor. Safelite manufactures windshields, and as far as I know, no automaker buys from them. PPG, Pilkington, AGC and others make higher quality windows, and they are available through local glass shops, for the same deductible.

Safelite has even wormed itself into the "glass claims administrator" position for many insurance companies, including mine...Amica. They tried to guide me towards Safelite for the latest repair, but I declined to be led. I said I didn't want Safelite c__p.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe it's truth, because for Elite trim they need special soundproof windshield, expensive and rare
You're referring to the "Acoustic Glass". The EX-L, Touring, and Elite trims all have "Acoustic Glass" windshields. (The difference is the Elite trim has the "Acoustic Glass" on the windshield, front, and side doors).

Reactions: ArmyCa

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,010 Posts
I have made the mistake of letting Safelite replace windows in the past. I still regret letting them do the windshileld in my '02 Ody, replaced about 10 years ago. The color and overall quality are poor. Safelite manufactures windshields, and as far as I know, no automaker buys from them. PPG, Pilkington, AGC and others make higher quality windows, and they are available through local glass shops, for the same deductible.

Safelite has even wormed itself into the "glass claims administrator" position for many insurance companies, including mine...Amica. They tried to guide me towards Safelite for the latest repair, but I declined to be led. I said I didn't want Safelite c__p.
Yeah, I got a chip in my windshield that was big enough to warrant replacement of the windshield, and I had Safelite replace it. I've had a whistle from the windshield under certain conditions ever since. Not a great experience.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I’ve used Safelite before and had no problems, really depends on skill of installer. I like that they come to the house and are easy to schedule.

I always keep a Rain-X windshield repair kit at home. I had a rock chip on my van last week which created a small star crack about the size of a dime. I was able to make the star part less noticeable and seal up the point of impact to prevent spread. It’s the third time I’ve had to use it in general and each time it’s made the crack livable and prevented spread.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve used Safelite before and had no problems, really depends on skill of installer. I like that they come to the house and are easy to schedule.

I always keep a Rain-X windshield repair kit at home. I had a rock chip on my van last week which created a small star crack about the size of a dime. I was able to make the star part less noticeable and seal up the point of impact to prevent spread. It’s the third time I’ve had to use it in general and each time it’s made the crack livable and prevented spread.
If you have full coverage insurance most companies will let you get rock chips fixed professionally with no deductible.

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey EX-L, 2015 Mercedes GLA250, 1979 Mercedes 6.9
15 Posts

Add me to the list of people who refuses to let Safelite anywhere near any of my cars.

I previously had a full size van, and one of the large rear side windows cracked. Safelite made an appointment to fix it, missed the appointment, then rescheduled and came out another day. They came out and removed the old window, only to discover that they'd brought the wrong piece and the correct piece was back ordered. They "fixed" this by taping a piece of plastic over it and telling me it would be 1-2 weeks for the piece to come in. When they did finally come to replace it with the correct piece, they scraped up the paint and clearcoat around the window. Plus the window had a different contour than the original one, so it didn't match up exactly with the window in front of it. And they got glue around the edge on the paint, clearly visible. It literally took them 5 visits to replace my window, and wound up doing a crap job of it.

I fought with them over it, and their corporate office had a second shop inspect it and conceded that they had screwed it up and caused the damage. I wound up selling the van before they had it fixed, but that experience completely soured me on them. I absolutely refuse to let them touch my stuff now. In the end, my insurance still paid them and they got their money. So now I tell everyone I can, every chance I get that Safelite does piss poor work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts