Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let you guys know that on my wife's 2011 Touring Elite, we purchased a second set of winter wheels/tires with TPMS.

it seems that the vehicle has be hard coded for the sensors, so I was sent codes to be entered by the dealership.

that's definitely something new... to me at least.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ordered a set of 17s, since tirerack was out of snow tires in the 18" size.

so, we went with 235/65R-17 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 tires on 17x7.5 Elbrus I06 BDC ICE with 315mhz tpms.

trying to get the vehicle to recognize the tpms.

sounds like this generation odysseys are all hard coded for tpms identification codes.

·
Banned
728 Posts
terrytcl said:

has be hard coded for the sensors, so I was sent codes to be entered by the dealership.

What does hard coded mean? When you put the new set on with the TPMS sensors, what do you have to do to get the vehicle to recognize the new sensors and what do you have to do to switch back when summer rolls around?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hard code... meaning, dealership has to enter the codes of each of the 4 TPMS into the ECU.

so, unlike the previous odyssey gen where the touring model didn't require the hardcoding... this gen... all models require hard coding.

i'm trying to see if the quickset will work on our vehicles.
if it does, you're out $125, but you don't have to go to the dealership to have them enter codes every time you swap out a set of wheels.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Which is why we didn't put TPMS in our winter set.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Snobike Mike said:
So the TPMS light stays on all winter until you switch back, correct?

Do we know what the dealer charges to re code the TPMS? If it is a minor cost, it could be done at the same time an oil change is done, say in the spring and fall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do I need TPMS sensors?

Snobike Mike said:
I just ordered a set of winter wheels and tires for our 2011 Touring Elite from Tire Rack, with TPMS sensors. Now I am learning about the reset issue. Do I need the TPMS sensors in the new wheels, or will this cause ECU/flashing idiot light issues? I still have time to cancel the TPMS from my order, if I don't need them. thank for any assistance.

Also, is there a OBDII tool to do the manual reset myself. I would really like to not have to take my car to the dealer for every tire swap. I would have just bought tires and had them changed each season, if I knew this.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Shazzam said:
So the TPMS light stays on all winter until you switch back, correct?

Do we know what the dealer charges to re code the TPMS? If it is a minor cost, it could be done at the same time an oil change is done, say in the spring and fall.
Yes, there is a yellow light on the dash, but when we park the van back in the garage it goes off because it senses the tires again.

In terms of cost for programming, I believe somewhere around $50-60 bucks each time.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Kscha41 said:
I thought I read somewhere that it only has to be programed once.
Normally you only have to program once until you change back to diffferent tires.

If you can truly program once that would mean the computer stores 8 TPMS addresses rather than 4 which is highly unlikely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Confirmation?

Hi all -- getting a new Odyssey in a few weeks, and I wanted to know if several questions had been resolved:

-- does the Odyssey store 8 TPMS identifiers or only 4 (meaning a reprogramming with every wheel switch)?

-- do any OBDII tools work to reprogram the ECU to recognize the new TPMS?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Here's a link to a company that sells a tool that programs the TPMS into the car's computer TPMS Tool - FAQ - TPMS Frequently Asked Questions (PS: I have no knowledge or affiliation with this company)

Since TPMS systems are federally mandated, I suppose that not installing or enabling them could be an offence or could put you in conflict with your insurance company should a failed tire cause an accident. No doomsday intended - just looking at the other side of the cost and inconvenience of the system.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi all -- getting a new Odyssey in a few weeks, and I wanted to know if several questions had been resolved:

-- does the Odyssey store 8 TPMS identifiers or only 4 (meaning a reprogramming with every wheel switch)?

Thanks!
The Oddy as is with most vehicles only recognizes 4 TPMS identifiers. So everytime you swap you tires/wheels, you will have to reprogram so your TPMS light doesn't come on. I think only the dealer can do this with their tools at a $50 or so charge. each time. I couldn't be bothered with that kind of hassle, IMHO.

·
Registered
427 Posts
ordered a set of 17s, since tirerack was out of snow tires in the 18" size.

so, we went with 235/65R-17 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 tires on 17x7.5 Elbrus I06 BDC ICE with 315mhz tpms.

trying to get the vehicle to recognize the tpms.

sounds like this generation odysseys are all hard coded for tpms identification codes.
Since your 2011 Touring has 18 inch wheels and was engineered from the factory to run on P235 60 18, I wouldn't put 17's on it. I would have just waited for the 18's to come into stock.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Since your 2011 Touring has 18 inch wheels and was engineered from the factory to run on P235 60 18, I wouldn't put 17's on it. I would have just waited for the 18's to come into stock.
235/65/17 = 29 inches diameter
235/60/18 = 29.1 inches diameter

Both are 235mm in width. I'd say he's fine.

·
Registered
359 Posts
^I would agree, there should be no problems. All you need to do is try to keep the same overall diameter. On our Accord, it came with 16's but I then bought optional 17's for summer and later found a great craigslist deal on 15's winter rims/snow tires, and neither size gave me any problems because the overall diameter was the same.

Winter will be about over by the time we get our new Ody Touring, so I did mention in another thread about getting 17's but I will possible wait for 18's Touring takeoff rims if I find some this summer. I rather get takeoff OEM rims rather than steel wheels/hubcabs or generic rims from Tirerack because OEM has a much better clearcoat finish that protects against winter salt. My 15" winter rims on my Accord came from Tirerack and all the paint/finish was peeling on the inside of the rims after just one winter.

Still want to hear about this TPMS programming as well. If it requires reprogramming after every summer/winter wheel swap, then I don't think I will get the sensors for my winter wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
235/65/17 = 29 inches diameter
235/60/18 = 29.1 inches diameter

Both are 235mm in width. I'd say he's fine.
Considering the fact that all the non-Touring versions actually run 235/60/R17s as standard equipment, I'd say so, too! :D The only real difference is the slightly higher load rating required (103 for the R17s, 102 for the R18s).

Does anyone know if the ATEQ Quickset will work with the '11s?

·
Banned
728 Posts

Thanks!
I had my wife's car (2003 Accord) at the dealership this afternoon for service. I spoke to the service manager about the 2011 Odyssey and TPMS procedures. He said the car has to be programmed at each wheel/tire set switch. The cost is about $40.00 (CAD).

When I mentioned that the cost was a bit of a pain (given that I have a floor jack and an air compressor/gun to do my own changes), he said that if I have my regular service done at the dealership, they will re program the sensors at no charge each year.

So, I'll get a winter set and each year, just after the snow falls, I'll swap my summer for my winter set, get an oil change and have the sensors reprogrammed for free. I'll do the same thing in the spring. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts