Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So winter is coming up and being in Minne'snow'ta, I'd like to put together a winter survival kit that I can fit into the Lazy Susan space in the floor between the front and 2nd rows.

So far my list of essentials includes (4 people in the family so everything is x4, except shovel):

Thermal blankets (silver foil type)

Candles and matches
Granola bars other non-perishable snack foods
extra gloves/hats
snow spade (fold up type if I can make it fit).

Tow chain/rope (is a maybe as most areas I go are not really remote and a tow truck is close by). If I do get this, I'll likely go with:

Thinking about these (yes I know they won't fit in the lazy susan space).

Has anyone else made a kit like this? What do you have in it?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Thinking about these (yes I know they won't fit in the lazy susan space).

Has anyone else made a kit like this? What do you have in it?
I have been "playing" with snow for 25 years. I used to live in Montreal Canada, where the winter can be very brutal. If you get stuck in the snow, the single most effective tools are:
- Metal Shovel as you mentioned above.
- Carry a container of salt (they sell it at hardware store), same stuff people use for their sidewalk. They key thing is to remove as much snow as possible, then apply salt in the FRONT wheels in the DIRECTION you want to get out.

Example: stuck in snow and the only way out is REVERSE (backing out)? Then apply salt BEHIND the FRONT wheels.

PS: On the same topic, nothing beats dedicated WINTER tires. I have them and love the way the car handles on snow.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the portable air pump and salt. I'll add those to my list. I think I'll add these to the list instead of chemical flares.

Agree with dedicated snow tires... Don't have the storage space for them however, so I get a good set of all seasons and haven't been disappointed yet :D

Remember I need this all to fit in the lazy susan area... :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
I like to have two shovels. One like you showed that can deal with ice and dirt and a second with a large scoop that can move large amounts of light snow. If you are trying to fight the wind with the little shovel alone you will get one side clear and find the first has filled in again. Also good to put the rest of the passengers to work helping with their hands instead of their mouths.

LED headlight is the most used tool in my car kit. Great for putting on chains and everything else.

Get the tow rope. Although a strap without hooks is best especially if you have a tow hitch. In the event you are stuck, probably so are 100 other people and the tow could be a several hour wait.

Here chains are a necessity at times. In some conditions on a hill a 2 wheel drive car will not being going anywhere without chains.

I bought a set of the traction mats that look like a really big scotch pad but haven't used them yet. I bet they will work pretty good.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, luckily we are fairly flat and snow chains are rarely required. A good set of tires is usually all thats needed.

The big snow shovel I'll bring from the garage on bad days. Remember the key focus here is to be able to fit all in the lazy susan area.

Good thought on the tow rope. There is a hitch accessory with a D ring that I might get. (actually just need the D-ring as I have the swapable hitch..)

The thought of having traction mats is attractive and I might just Velcro/hook and loop it to the back of the third row as a storage area.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I carry a come-a-long whenever I feel I might get stuck. Its got a rating to winch 4000 lbs of dead weight. I have never used it on the Ody, but I have used it on other cars with the Ody as an anchor. Even though the Ody weighs in at closer to 4500 lbs. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in an emergency, if the there was low resistance. Its also come in handy in many other situations too. I'm supposed to go up to the Hudson Bay in Northern Canada next year and before I do, I will be upgrading to the 8000 lbs model.

·
Registered
193 Posts
There is a hitch accessory with a D ring that I might get. (actually just need the D-ring as I have the swapable hitch..
A regular hitch pin through the loop of the tow strap is plenty for occasional use.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey Fusionrx,

The survival items we need here are big freaking umbrellas and maybe neoprene suites :DD

Seriously tho', for your kit I also suggest you add these, which all fit in the lazy susan space:

(gardening gloves with rubberized palms/fingers ..... don't need to get $ ones, but the textured grip surfaces really come in handy esp. in ice and snow when they don't soak through)

(emergency hand-cranked LED flashlight)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Plus:

(hi-vis reflective rainwear <with hoodie> by Pioneer or Viking brands .... can get them fairly well-priced at outdoor outfitters or surplus stores):

(safety triangles set):

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agree with the triangle. Have one from my old Saab. Will be using that one.

I have a set of glove we always keep in the car (winter gloves in door pockets).

Hand warmers a good idea. Rain jacket/Hi vis jacket, I think I can get a vest since I work at the place that makes the high vis material (3M). :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OdyProspect: Thanks for the tip! Hadn't considered doing it up that way.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I carry a come-a-long whenever I feel I might get stuck. Its got a rating to winch 4000 lbs of dead weight. I have never used it on the Ody, but I have used it on other cars with the Ody as an anchor. Even though the Ody weighs in at closer to 4500 lbs. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in an emergency, if the there was low resistance. Its also come in handy in many other situations too. I'm supposed to go up to the Hudson Bay in Northern Canada next year and before I do, I will be upgrading to the 8000 lbs model.
Good idea. Like yourself, if I think I'm gonna go into a situation where I might need one, I'll get one at that time.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Harbor Freight has 40% off sales somewhat regularly. So don't wait until the last minute and try to shop around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts