Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people using for winter tires? It's not crucial that I have such beasts, as we usually don't get enough snow to worry about. But, we have in the past and we could get a decent amount of snow in any given year.

I'm not convinced that Blizzaks are the way to go.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Try Hakkapellitta 1 (spelling?) made by Nokian. They are directional & made in Finland and available in the US. I've used it in our 92 MPV and '00 Civic SiR and it really makes a big difference. My wife really liked it. It's a little bit aggressive in the tread design and can be studded, if you want. I'm buying another set as soon as we get our '02 Ody.

Let's just say you can still hit VTEC when it's snowing and still know that you can stop at a moment's notice when a moose crosses your path

·
Registered
331 Posts
adam1991 - we used Michelin Arctic Alpins in the OEM size mounted on LX rims on our 00 EX. They did great last winter and were reasonable in cost. Dry road performance was acceptable as well.

As for the Nokian, everybody raves about them. All the volvo/saab owners I know use and love them. But around here only the chi chi automotive emporiums had them - and $1200 without rims was a little more than I had in mind. Then again I was quoted over $1,000 for the Michelens and got them for under $500 from tirerack.com.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Go to The Tire Rack and go to the "Winter Shop by Vehicle". You can plug in the Ody or whatever and they have a "preferred" package or you can check out other tires.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuruma Hayai:
robr2:
The chi chi emporiums are probably taking you to the cleaners. For the Ody, it'll cost me about Cdn$259 each or about US$760 for all four (includes Cdn taxes of 15%).
</font>
The only places you can get them around here seemed to be Volvo and Saab dealers and the high line tire stores - as special order only. Although they are a great tire, the Michelins worked out well and the price I got included the rims!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
i also use artic alpins and think they are great.

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter, single disc cd player,roof rack with cross rails, bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass and artic alpine tires on the oem steel wheels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You may want to consider Bridgestone Blizzaks. We do yearly 2 month British Columbia ski trips using Blizzaks on a Dodge Grand Caravan crossing through the Dakotas, Montana,Idaho and Wyoming and Washington.

Phenomenal on ice and very good on snow. They are so stable on ice that you don't know if it is slippery. In 99 we were crossing Wyoming on what they refer to as "slick" roads. Road looked slippery but the van just kept going. Came around a curve to find two state troopers and a plow in the ditch. They grip like hell.

We have them mounted on cheap steel rims and do the switch just before we leave. Don't think the rims will fit the new Odyssey but the tires certainly will.

Warning....don't drive them in warm weather and don't over inflate them.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, great. Thanks for the tips. Two questions, then:

a) what do you consider "warm weather" in this application; and

b) do you toss the tires when the ice gripping mechanism is worn down and all you have left are cold weather tires?

Around here, we don't get THAT much winter. But sometimes it does come with a vengeance. So, I'd hate to be spending a dry winter erasing the ice-gripping mechanism, only to have a seriously icy winter the next season and be forced to spend $500 again to get that back.

??

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have found that tread wear increases dramtically if the temperature is above 50F or 10C.

We tend to put about 20,000 km on them in a winter. We find that the gummy, grippy part lasts two winters and then we finish them off in a summer. We find we get 60,000 kms or 40,000 miles...not bad for a special purpose tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts