Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick questions for those that swap tires/wheels in the winter. Do you run the winter tires without sensors? If so does it cause any problems I should be aware of besides the annoying light?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am no expert but I have heard that the annoying light is the only problem, not to mention the reliance on a human being to check the pressure once in awhile. ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
No issue. My co worker does this every winter with his winter tires that do not have a tpms sensor. No issue other than the tpms light being continuously lit all winter long.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Using wheel/rims without TPMS will effect 3 things:
1. TPMS dashlight indicator stay on all the time
2. Have to check tire pressure without TPMS warning of low pressure
3. VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) defaults to always "on" mode. In other words if you have a dash switch to disengage VSC, it will not disengage it without sensors in place that are programmed to vehicle.

I have run my Ody without TPMS sensors in my winter wheels. The issues above are not worth the cost of buying and programming sensors. As for VSC, why would you want to turn it off in winter anyway.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I'm not sure why the TPMS sensor issue causes so much concern. There is an initial cost to install them on your winter set and have the dealer program them. After that, my service manager says you can swap sets without reprogramming the vehicle as it can store information for 2 sets.

I'll be buying a winter set in a couple of weeks and will add the monitors. Winter is the time I really want to know if I have a leak, so I don't get left sitting on the side of a -25C degree road. :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm not sure why the TPMS sensor issue causes so much concern. There is an initial cost to install them on your winter set and have the dealer program them. After that, my service manager says you can swap sets without reprogramming the vehicle as it can store information for 2 sets.

I'll be buying a winter set in a couple of weeks and will add the monitors. Winter is the time I really want to know if I have a leak, so I don't get left sitting on the side of a -25C degree road. :(
It is good to know that the system can store two sets. The early information was that you would have to stop by the dealer at each change.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Has anyone verified this? I've heard this a few times. Is it really this simple? Just swap them back and forth with NO reprogramming etc.?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Using wheel/rims without TPMS will effect 3 things:
1. TPMS dashlight indicator stay on all the time
2. Have to check tire pressure without TPMS warning of low pressure
3. VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) defaults to always "on" mode. In other words if you have a dash switch to disengage VSC, it will not disengage it without sensors in place that are programmed to vehicle.

I have run my Ody without TPMS sensors in my winter wheels. The issues above are not worth the cost of buying and programming sensors. As for VSC, why would you want to turn it off in winter anyway.
I don't know about the ody but some VSC systems are so invasive that they don't allow you to spin the snow tires to get up a hill. My neighbor has to turn his off to get up our slight hill to the houses. If he leaves it on it stops the wheel spin and he's stuck at the bottom.

·
Registered
88 Posts
.... After that, my service manager says you can swap sets without reprogramming the vehicle as it can store information for 2 sets.
Hmmm, I did not know that it can store 2 sets. I'll have to check that out myself as I'll be buying a winter set here in the next month or so.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I specifically remeber reading last winter of people saying the '11 Ody cannot store more than x4 TPMS sensors. I'd like to just get winter wheels with TPMS and add them to the 'system' but read otherwise last year. On top of this I read last year the 4 current ones are hard coded in the ECU and have to be replaced in a complicated procedure by Honda.

I REALLY hope this isn't the case, but I read all this right here on the board last winter...

I had my wife's car (2003 Accord) at the dealership this afternoon for service. I spoke to the service manager about the 2011 Odyssey and TPMS procedures. He said the car has to be programmed at each wheel/tire set switch. The cost is about $40.00 (CAD).

When I mentioned that the cost was a bit of a pain (given that I have a floor jack and an air compressor/gun to do my own changes), he said that if I have my regular service done at the dealership, they will re program the sensors at no charge each year.

So, I'll get a winter set and each year, just after the snow falls, I'll swap my summer for my winter set, get an oil change and have the sensors reprogrammed for free. I'll do the same thing in the spring. :)
Shazzam has the above info changed, it seems your response in this thread is more optomistic.

Here is the rest of the thread: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/143484-winter-summer-set-wheels-fyi.html

·
Registered
58 Posts
Be nice to have a Moved:Winter Tire wheels for this thread since it is 2011 specific and people are actually contributing to a significan't question...

·
Banned
728 Posts
Time will tell, but I spoke at length with the service manager at the dealer I purchased our van at. I mentioned that several people on this forum had written that the codes had to be hard coded in and had to be reprogrammed each time the sets were swapped. He was emphatic in saying that the 2011 Odyssey will allow a winter set switch to summer and back without additional programming and that several Honda models have had this functionality for a number of years and it is not news.

I'm ordering some Michelin X ice Xi2 tires on October 3rd (Costco has a $70.00 rebate starting that date). I plan on mounting them on a set of Honda steel wheels and using hub caps from the LX model. I'll also need a set of wheel nuts to hold the covers on. Of course I will need an additional set of TPMS monitors as well.

I usually wait until mid November to make the switch to my winter set, but will report back when I have the tires mounted and get confirmation from the dealer that no additional programming will be necessary.

For those interested in Michelin Xice tires, the correct size is available: 235 65/17 for LX to EX-L owners. I don't think you can get them in the correct 18" size, but if you keep your vehicles for many years as I do, a set of 17" wheels is a good investment and will work well on the Touring models as well given that the OD (outside diameter) of the OEM 17's and 18 set up is the same. The extra bit of sidewall on the 17's might dull the handling a bit, but ride is improved on rough winter surfaces.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wouldn't it make better sense to run the monitors in Winter when you may need to disengage the traction control and just hide the dummy light in summer?

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Not sure why you need winter wheels and tires.....If I can say anything positive about my van it is the fact that it is fantastic in all snow.......It goes better than my 4X4 toyota pickup I owned. All on All seasons. And if my wife can drive it......it's good

·
Registered
58 Posts
Some places (like Quebec) it's law to have winters on. I ran 1 winter in a 4WD Suzuki with all seasons and never again. Just not worth it.

So what is the bolt pattern and offset of the stock wheels on my '11 EX?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bump. Any more info on this issue?

There's another thread that indicates that the TPMS system in the Touring models is different with regard to how it learns/senses the pressure monitors, but I don't see anything other than anecdotal evidence.

·
Registered
2 Posts
winter tires

Further to DM's post above, my local Honda dealer advises they can't get the proper steel rims for the 2011 Touring. Does anyone know where to find a set of economical 18"rims steel or aluminum that meet the tight clearances specific to the 2011 Touring (Canadian); equivalent to the Touring Elite on U.S. Models?

Better yet, how about proper 17" rims that will fit the Touring, as i would prefer a narrower 17" winter tire?

thanks.

Phil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BMW rims on 2011 Odyssey

I put these on with the OEM all season Michelins and will put winter tires on OEM rims with TPMS so Traction control can be turned off in deep snow conditions. These are a BMW M3 rim, 18" X 8" with 47 mm offset. Fit like a glove and original Honda center caps fit perfect.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts