Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up our '03 EXL (slate gray) yesterday ...what a vehicle ... and living in the interior of B.C., we are thinking about winter already. What winter tires are really performing for you? I've read previous Odyclub threads (helpful) and Tirerack opinions (not too many Ody's) and am hoping for some real world info. in terms of the trade-offs of various winter tires. We have run first gen. Blizzaks on previous vehicles. I have OEM Ody steel rims on order.

We get all types of winter here. Specifically, how do your favorites perform in: (a) 6-8" of snow (b) packed snow (c) ice (d) slush / wet muck?

TIA I have learned a lot from the collective wisdom here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had Bridgestone blizzaks for 4 years and can highly reccomend them. You will notice a little tire whine at 30-40 MPH and a reduction in cornering but that is normal for this type of tire. I have heard that the Goodyear Ultra grip ICE are exceellent as well and about the same price as the Blizzies at Tirerack.com. The Minneosta Troopers use them so that must mean something positive eh!

·
Registered
608 Posts
How many?

How many get another set of rims and snow tires for the Ody??.. I had snows on another minivan and the gripping difference in heavy snow was confidence inspiring.... and am thinking of doing the same on the Ody.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you live in snow country, you are better off getting a separate set for your snow tires. In the long run, it will pay off. I have 2 sets - summer & winter. I used the factory alloys for my snow tires and got a separate one for summer. Reason behind this is that you avoid damaging your rims when you take off/ install / balance your summer & winter tires. And changing from summer to snows can be done at home.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with all of you regarding:
1) Getting set up with seperate rims and snows. Saves you money in the long run, time running back and forth with dirty tires, damage to the rims from changing 2x/yr and the chance of not getting the tires properly balanced 2x/yr.
2) Changing the rims/snow combo yourslef is easy as long as you have a ody jack or better...floor jack and a torque wrench to keep those rotors in shape.
3) Ditto to using the OEM rims for winter. Leaves you an excuse to add some nice aftermarket rims from Tire Rack for only $105 each and thus differentiate your Ody in the summer from all the other ones.

One other thing, do not let someone tell you to undesize the tires one size from stock to increase tarction. IE: Substituting 215/60-16 in lieu of the stock 225/60-16. Though theorectically true by the boys at Tire Rack. My T&C looked weird, and ...the speedo was ran high by -6% ! Stay with the 225/60-16 size.

Let it snow!:)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Why buy 4...

Stopped in to a 'cheap' tire place.... $700-800 for 4 tires.... and rims.

He showed me a printed thing about tire compounds and why I should get 4 instead of 2..... I got all dizzy thinking about having 8 tires, 8 rims, and being $800 poorer.... and left.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Blizzaks....

You can buy the 4 Blizzaks on rim...balanced....from the Tire Rack....tirerack.com...for about $450..

That is where I got mine...

Tony V

·
Registered
35 Posts
Blizzaks again..

Just read the other posts....I went with the cheap Tirerack rims...worked fine...and I did go with the smaller tires..and I have not seen a problem.

I have blizzaks on my Jetta...had them on my Surburban...and on my Aerostar before that..and my wife's Honda Accord before that...

Go with the recommendations from the TireRack guys..if there is a problem..they will make it good..

Tony V

·
Registered
608 Posts
tirerack

I took a look at tirerack.. tires are 94 each. 376 total. I'll call Monday to get full deal.....

Have you bought these tires online? Shipping must be fairly costly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am curious why a person would down size there tires as Tire Rack selection shows when you plug in the ody in there selector program. IE: they come back reccomending the 215/60-16 for the ody. Stock is 225/60-16. You instantly cause your speedo to read 3% high and lower you ride height a small amount. gee just what I want to do is to loose ground clearance and add miles to the odometer for the sake of a maginal improvement in traction due to the smaller patch area. Food for thought that's all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Blizzaks...

Fully understrand your reasoning on 3%...but my Ody speedo is off by 5% anyways...so who cares...in the winter I am not so concerned about speed anyways...more concerned about traction...

and the shipping is between 25 and 50 dollars Total.....FEdx 3 day...at least for me ....They give you the shipping right on the site for you to choose from...with amounts for each...

tony V

W

·
0 Posts
I haven't seem them for a while, but we bought a set of Yokohama Guardex 600 for our Previa, which was RWD, open differential, and no traction control. We went everywhere with those tires without ever worrying if we were going to get stuck. I'd easily be able to get going on 6% uphills when 4WD vehicles with regular tires were just spinning their wheels and digging in.

Wayne Lim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Snow tires...

I have driven a set of Guardex...and and prefer the Blizzaks...Now that was many years ago..when Guardex first came out...I dont know if they have improved..or if it was just that the Bizzaks I had on my Surburban were just better for the Surburban...

I know that the "guys in the know"....that use snow tires all the time say that the Blizzaks are the best...

but....one man's poison is another man's pleasure..

Tony V

W

·
0 Posts
Re: Snow tires...

tvacc said:
I have driven a set of Guardex...and and prefer the Blizzaks...Now that was many years ago..when Guardex first came out...I dont know if they have improved..or if it was just that the Bizzaks I had on my Surburban were just better for the Surburban...

I know that the "guys in the know"....that use snow tires all the time say that the Blizzaks are the best...

but....one man's poison is another man's pleasure..

Tony V
Never driven a set of blizzak so I can't make the comparison. Tire Rack did say the blizzak were better, but our tires were really only for driving in the metro Seattle area, which now rarely ever sees snow any more, and up to the local ski areas, which are kept in pretty good condition for all of the AWD/4WD vehicles who think they're able to defy physics on regular tires.

I don't think the Guardex were ever improved from their original formulation. I just didn't want to spend as much for the blizzak as they cost, and it was between the guardex and the dunlop graspic, which Tire Rack said weren't as good.

Wayne Lim

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a lot of experience in this arena, being from Buffalo :)

When Blizzaks first came out, they were designated "WS-15", whihc were excellent in snow and ice, but wore very hard on dry pavement. If there was no snow to go through, the tread basically scrubbed right off. I've seen them wear through in one season.

They then changed to the MZ-02 designation, with a different center sipe design. Better in the wear category, excellent on ice, but still wore relatively fast.

My pick is the Nokian. I've had a set on the wife's car for 3 winters, and they appear brand new. The car goes through snow like a tractor too!

·
0 Posts
hondacuraworld said:
I have a lot of experience in this arena, being from Buffalo :)

When Blizzaks first came out, they were designated "WS-15", whihc were excellent in snow and ice, but wore very hard on dry pavement. If there was no snow to go through, the tread basically scrubbed right off. I've seen them wear through in one season.

They then changed to the MZ-02 designation, with a different center sipe design. Better in the wear category, excellent on ice, but still wore relatively fast.

My pick is the Nokian. I've had a set on the wife's car for 3 winters, and they appear brand new. The car goes through snow like a tractor too!
I too had wear problems with Blizzacks (WS-15), so bad that I would only put them on when it would actually snow. I would wake up a little early and mount them in my garage before work, and then take them off when the roads cleared. Luckily we don't get much snow around here:D !

·
Registered
608 Posts
The other side of the story....

Thank you for filling in the gaps about tread wear.... very interesting stuff..... the tirerack site does say the tread surface is two different compounds, one on top, the other, the bottom surface.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts