Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a potential Ody owner, what things have you folks done for winter travel. Have any of you tried M+S tires? Is there a spider mechanism so that you do not have to put cables on? Any other info would be helpful.

·
Registered
331 Posts
fleanme - we mounted Michelin Arctic Alpins on LX wheels on our 00 TW EX. They worked like a charm. We live at the bottom of a small hill and we didn't have any issues last winter. Although the snow gets plowed up pretty quickly around Boston, it always seems that the worst of it occurs during commuting time. Further, it seems I always have to go out for a snowblower part in the middle of every storm.

The Arctic Alpins always worked well on dry surfaces. They handled pretty well and were fairly quiet.

Here in MA, chains of any type are illegal so I can't give any advice.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Fleanme:
I'm not sure what you mean when you say winter travel. Are these long trips? Anyway, for our minivan, I installed Hakkapelitta 1 on all fours and it seems to work very well where I live. We do get some nasty ones but we are happy with it. It's the same tires I use for my Civic. It has an aggressive tread design and can be studded. Unfortunately, studding & chains are illegal here in Ontario too.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Wow, you guys make me feel good about living on the North Coast of California! We have snow here about once every 5-7 years and it goes away by morning. I sold my last set of take-off wheels to a fella from Pennsylvania.

Good luck with your winter prep work. If you need any relief from the winter blues, come on out and we'll try to drown (yeah, we get lotsa rain) ya.

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I would be traveling from SoCal climate to the Sierras, so I would need a non studded tread that would shed snow well.
Also, I am looking to see if anyone uses a traction device that essentially clips on to the front hubs, and goes around the the contact area of the tires. I think that dodge has something, and Saturn had something like that. I was just wondering what other people have been using for the winter time. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts