Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this mean that we will soon be able to use Android Auto wirelessly?

From the link...
"Google has quietly confirmed (via 9to5Google) that “any” smartphone using Android 11 will support wireless Android Auto. The only major obstacle is the need for 5GHz Wi-Fi support."

I tried to search and it seems like someone mentioned that this model Odyssey does in fact have a 5Ghz radio for the US models.

Am I just too optimistic?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,196 Posts
I've only seen 2.4Ghz under the settings. I wouldn't get my hopes up, but you never know! 😁

·
Registered
2020 EX-L White Pearl; 2009 EX-L NAV+RES Blue Metal
16 Posts

The head unit need to be also updated to accept wireless connection which currently it doesn't do that.
I have Samsung and iPhone. Both are wirelessly connected fine on Pioneer head unit we upgraded on our 2012 Nissan Altima. But same thing doesn't connect wirelessly on our new EXL 2020. What's a setback!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Doesnt work yet for me.
I have a Pixel phone and can connect wirelessly in other cars.

I assume technically it could be solved via software update by Honda, but that may never come.

If youre willing to tinker you can follow these instructions to get it semi wireless.

·
Registered
298 Posts
One beef I have with Android - among many - is that only few phones benefit from the latest OS. I have a couple-of-years old phone that's running 6.1.
Our CARS - the Odyssey - are using Android 5.x. In a new car, for f's sake.
So this "feature" or "benefit" will only benefit cars probably (ultimately) running Google's Android Automotive OS (like the Polestar 2, to start).
Yet... iOS 13 (and 14) will run on any Apple iPhone dating back to the iPhone 6s. From 2015.
(and CarPlay on older iOS supports even older phones)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I do see that my 2019 Odyssey EX connects to my 5Ghz band however, I have a Pixel 4a with the new Android Auto update and cannot connect wirelessly. It looks like it wants me to connect my car to my phone as a bluetooth device. Not the usual way where we connect our phones to the car. Not being able to do that, at least with the current head unit software, I don't think it will work.

Not surprised, but maybe possible in the future?

.. oh yeah. When I tried to connect wirelessly, it asked to hold down the "talk" button on the steering wheel to connect. When I did, it said it's not IOS so I can't connect wirelessly :( That said, I am happy that I can hold down that button to trigger the google assistant now. If it could be done before, I did not know about it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
So, I do see that my 2019 Odyssey EX connects to my 5Ghz band however, I have a Pixel 4a with the new Android Auto update and cannot connect wirelessly. It looks like it wants me to connect my car to my phone as a bluetooth device. Not the usual way where we connect our phones to the car. Not being able to do that, at least with the current head unit software, I don't think it will work.

Not surprised, but maybe possible in the future?

.. oh yeah. When I tried to connect wirelessly, it asked to hold down the "talk" button on the steering wheel to connect. When I did, it said it's not IOS so I can't connect wirelessly :( That said, I am happy that I can hold down that button to trigger the google assistant now. If it could be done before, I did not know about it.
I don't ever see wireless Android Auto with the current-gen infotainment Honda system (which, again, runs on Android 5.x).
NOR wireless CarPlay - Honda does not support this.
Long-press on talk is WIRED CarPlay, if connected. And it doesn't broadcast Google Maps to the center gauge screen, which pisses me off. I believe it will work with Apple Maps, but then my watch goes nuts for turns and other alerts.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't ever see wireless Android Auto with the current-gen infotainment Honda system (which, again, runs on Android 5.x).
Long-press on talk is WIRED CarPlay, if connected. And it doesn't broadcast Google Maps to the center gauge screen, which pisses me off. I believe it will work with Apple Maps, but then my watch goes nuts for turns and other alerts.
Have you tried Waze? Resolution is a bit wonky but better than Apple Maps and displays on the infotainment screen.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Have you tried Waze? Resolution is a bit wonky but better than Apple Maps and displays on the infotainment screen.
My wife uses Waze religiously. Although I'm a detail seeker (see: Waze), Google Maps works better (best) for me.
Here (former Nokia) nearly had a killer CarPlay app, but the owners (BMW+Mercedes+Audi) vetoed it.

Point above was that all non-Apple Maps navigation will not show turns on the gauge screen - regardless of car/manufacturer.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Lollipop has nothing to do with whether the system can support Android Auto over Wi-Fi. Based on your logic, no car would be able to support CarPlay because there isn't a single head unit out there that is underpinned by iOS. Google even has had a head unit emulator for Windows, macOS, and Linux for years, to help developers debug their applications.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Even though the physical link in most Android Auto connection is a USB cable, connection between phone and head unit is IP-based, so it's not a big leap to use Wi-Fi. The reason to run it over the 5GHz band is lower chance of interference, because the 2.4GHz band is more congested, even though both bands are for unlicensed use. The onboard Wi-Fi module, supplied by Murata (村田), does have a 5GHz radio and is able to connect to 5GHz access points, but when acting as a hot-spot it is 2.4GHz only. This is just a software limitation. Honda already has all the hardware necessary to support Android Auto over Wi-Fi, but it's an automaker after all and I expected that any feature that was not on my van when purchased would never be added later via software updates, that way I would not be disappointed later.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Lollipop has nothing to do with whether the system can support Android Auto over Wi-Fi. Based on your logic, no car would be able to support CarPlay because there isn't a single head unit out there that is underpinned by iOS. Google even has had a head unit emulator for Windows, macOS, and Linux for years, to help developers debug their applications.
That's not my logic - at all. Let's not get into a pissing debate, over this, please.

Re: BMW -- iDrive (and Mini) support wireless CarPlay, but BMW developed their system in-house (Over-the-air updates now let BMWs add new features - even as secondhand cars). But that fact aside, BMW has a very strong developer relationship with Apple. That's one reason they dragged their legs over Android Auto support - and also their customer demographic makeup didn't warrant the investment.
Honda, on the other hand, has for years used third parties (i.e. Acura <> Alpine), which has hindered their ability to support things like, for instance, wireless CarPlay. It also resulted in the awful two-screen system that Acura dumped for... an equally frustrating touchpad system in the RDX, new TLX, and forthcoming MDX.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Accord07 - Thank you for the write up! I was under this impression and your information helps back that up. You're correct that it's up to Honda at this point and well... I don't believe it's a priority for them. While I'm not hesitant to tinker with devices normally, this being my car makes it where I'll just resign to connecting a cable.

Even though the physical link in most Android Auto connection is a USB cable, connection between phone and head unit is IP-based, so it's not a big leap to use Wi-Fi. The reason to run it over the 5GHz band is lower chance of interference, because the 2.4GHz band is more congested, even though both bands are for unlicensed use. The onboard Wi-Fi module, supplied by Murata (村田), does have a 5GHz radio and is able to connect to 5GHz access points, but when acting as a hot-spot it is 2.4GHz only. This is just a software limitation. Honda already has all the hardware necessary to support Android Auto over Wi-Fi, but it's an automaker after all and I expected that any feature that was not on my van when purchased would never be added later via software updates, that way I would not be disappointed later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honda already has all the hardware necessary to support Android Auto over Wi-Fi, but it's an automaker after all and I expected Speed Test that any feature that was not on my van when purchased would never be added later via software updates, that way I would not be disappointed later.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Honda already has all the hardware necessary to support Android Auto over Wi-Fi, but it's an automaker after all and I expected Speed Test that any feature that was not on my van when purchased would never be added later via software updates, that way I would not be disappointed later.
This is 2020(CEO, executive bonus first) not 1990(customer first), auto makers already took money from your pocket, why would they give you more for free?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does this mean that we will soon be able to use Android Auto wirelessly?

From the link...
"Google has quietly confirmed (via 9to5Google) that “any” smartphone using Android 11 will support wireless Android Auto. The only major obstacle is the need for 5GHz Wi-Fi support."

I tried to search and it seems like someone mentioned that this model Odyssey does in fact have a 5Ghz radio for the US models.

Am I just too optimistic?
Hi There,

I have 2021 odyssey, but unable to connect android auto wirelessly. Do you guys have the same issue as well? Anyone can help?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi There,

I have 2021 odyssey, but unable to connect android auto wirelessly. Do you guys have the same issue as well? Anyone can help?
Its not available on the Ody as yet.
There may be an update in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath.
The device discusses in this thread solves this issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts