Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CarPlay to Air

Has anybody tried this? It would be nice to just drop my phone onto the wireless charging pad and have CarPlay without any additional hassle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh. This looks interesting. This solution would help remove the cable that always looks out of place.

I wonder how it works when 2 people have connected to it and both are in the car. The FAQ says last person who used it gets the connection. Which means, in my use case, if there isn’t a way to force switch from the device that wants to connect, I have to tell my wife to turn off her Bluetooth/wifi at the start of every weekend when I start chauffeuring her and the kiddo.

Does not help that my wife keeps a case on her iPhone as well as one of those pop it things that makes it easier holding an 8+ with one hand. Will probably need to get a 12V adapter to run the charging cable. Getting her to remove the case daily (weekdays) is probably a no go.

Instead of removing a cable, I’ve just relocated it.

Just my thought process on deciding if this wireless airplay actually benefits me and my use cases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
52 Posts
This should work. A little pricey at $159, but worth every penny. There’s a list of compatible vehicles in the webpage, and Honda vehicles from 2017 (?) on are supported.

Here’s a video demonstrating and explaining it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This should work. A little pricey at $159, but worth every penny. There’s a list of compatible vehicles in the webpage, and Honda vehicles from 2017 (?) on are supported.

Here’s a video demonstrating and explaining it.
That movie shows the carplay2air, not the cheaper amazon devices. Those amazon devices say that the user needs to install software on the head unit to use the product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update from today:

Hello David,

Thanks for your interest in our product!

We are happy to let you know that we are now in the process of completing the test of our adapter with Honda Odyssey multimedia systems.

The test of our engineering team is still ongoing for your car.

No worries! I will let you know right away once we are done with the test.

Thank you,

--

Roxanne
CARPLAY2air.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apparently they've updated the firmware for these now: CarPlay adapter to convert to wireless CarPlay?

However, after doing the firmware update, when I plug the device in, it just says "Carplay Unavailable". Anyone else able to get it working on a 2018+ Ody?
I was not able to get the Carlinkit 2.0 with the latest (November) firmware to work today when I tried it on my 2021 Touring. I did get it working on my 2017 Ford Fusion after upgrading the SYNC system though, so not a total loss. I’m hoping the Ody gets an update in the future. I upgraded to the wireless charging option just in case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apparently they've updated the firmware for these now: CarPlay adapter to convert to wireless CarPlay?

However, after doing the firmware update, when I plug the device in, it just says "Carplay Unavailable". Anyone else able to get it working on a 2018+ Ody?
Same here. And now they want me to ship it back and I have to pay for return shipping.. kind of a pain.. maybe i'll just keep it..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try this. Just received this from support on 12/16/2020

1.Please download the firmware update file from here:

U2W_Update (1).img

1. Please save update firmware file on USB flash drive (Flash drive format must be FAT32)
  2. Plug the flash drive into the CPLAY2air adapter.
  3. Plug CPLAY2air into the USB power charger/wall charger for your iPhone. Please don’t use the USB port of the car or computer!!
  4. Please wait 2-3 minutes, until the flashing light becomes solid
  5. Please unplug the adapter from the USB charger and remove the USB flash drive from the adapter.
  6. Please now plug the product into the USB port of the car.
  7. Please wait until the new window will appear on the vehicle's screen.
  8. Connect your phone to the Bluetooth network which is shown on the screen.
  9. Wait for the new interface to appear on the screen.
Very Important note: Do not attempt to connect the adapter to your computer's or laptop's USB port. These ports are made to transfer data and will just interrupt the update process and brick the device.

If you have a Type C port, kindly use a converter.

Let me know once this is done. :)
Thank you!
--Roxanne
CARPLAY2air.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have tried the Carplay2Air adapter on my 2019 Honda Odyssey and experienced the same unable to connect. They sent me a firmware update file but apparently it’s the same version that is already on the adapter. The support person said there’s another firmware coming out in 2 weeks. In the meantime, it’s working on my wife’s 2018 Honda CR-V with no problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have both the CarPlay2Air and Carlinkit 2.0 dongles. At best, it's been hit-or-miss getting these to even initially connect properly with my 2020 Odyssey Elite. IF they do connect, they will not auto reconnect as advertised at all. I've reach out to support for both dongles several times. Here's the latest I've gotten (Carlinkit 2.0 listed below first followed by CarPlay2Air second). I will note that I'm using an iPhone 12 Pro Max and on iOS 14.4 beta release 1... I'm wondering if others who are having troubles with these dongles are also on the beta release of iOS? If so, then maybe it's an iOS issue with the dongles. If not, then maybe it's truly an issue with the dongles.

Carlinkit 2.0 -

"
You'd better follow the instruction to connect.

Tutorial link: Only 4 Steps to Convert Wired CarPlay to Wireless - How to Use and Connect(Attaching Video)

Maybe there is some incompatibility inssues when the firmware work with iOS 14.4 beta system. If it's possible, please try another iphone(not new ios system) to connect to comfirm it is the reason of ios system.

According the pic, you can roll back to old firmware(2020.08.04.1602), then upgrade the firmware to the new version(2020.11.10.2137). If you can't upgrade online, you can upgrade the firmware by USB flash drive. For most vehicles, the newest firmware is more stable and support more models. But please follow the instruction strictly.

This is the tutorial about how to upgrade by USB flash drive.
U2W/U2W Plus Firmware Upgrade by USB flash drive

The firmware file is attached. Good luck!

Hope that can help you. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Carlinkit CarPlay Team*

CarPlay2Air -

"Can you tell me the make, model and year of your car, please?

Are you able to log the issue to the engineering team can work on it? You need to upload the log to the same IP address when you update the firmware.

We are waiting for the release of the next update from our engineering team to fix all reported issues which will take place soon. Will it work for you to wait for it?

If it does not work on the next update, we can process an exchange.

--

Tiffany
CARPLAY2air.com"

Does anyone know how to "log the issue to the engineering team can work on it"? On the IP site for the firmware, I can't find anything to log issues...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts