Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Glad I hesitated to spend $200 on something that is probably never going to work consistently. I suspect each update of iOS will introduce a new obstacle that will need a firmware patch to the dongle to resolve. These companies are under no obligation to make future versions of iOS (or even current ones) work with this thing. I suspect the recommended solution is to never upgrade your version of iOS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I finally found a wireless CarPlay adapter that seems to be working as advertised consistently!!!!!

Granted I have only tried the wireless CarPlay feature and have not tested the mirrorlink feature at all.

My only complaints are that no instructions are included, and that I have to disconnect from my home WiFi before this will work.

Still, it works great and wireless CarPlay in my 2020 Odyssey is awesome!
Text Technology Font Colorfulness Electric blue

·
Registered
147 Posts
Looks like the JoyAuto carplay dongle is $185 shipped from China. It would be nice to see how well it works over a couple months before jumping on the bandwagon. Can you keep us posted on what you experience with it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have both the CarPlay2Air and Carlinkit 2.0 dongles. At best, it's been hit-or-miss getting these to even initially connect properly with my 2020 Odyssey Elite. IF they do connect, they will not auto reconnect as advertised at all. I've reach out to support for both dongles several times. Here's the latest I've gotten (Carlinkit 2.0 listed below first followed by CarPlay2Air second). I will note that I'm using an iPhone 12 Pro Max and on iOS 14.4 beta release 1... I'm wondering if others who are having troubles with these dongles are also on the beta release of iOS? If so, then maybe it's an iOS issue with the dongles. If not, then maybe it's truly an issue with the dongles.
I find myself in exactly the same situation you were in. Wish I would have seen this post before I ordered this dongle. I have another one that works fine in my 2018 Honda Fit, but CarPlay fails to start up with CarPlay2Air in my 2020 Honda Odyssey Elite. I happen to have an iPhone 12 Pro Max also, and I can confirm that it works fine with this device when the dongle is connected to a compatible vehicle (e.g. my Fit).

I similarly have to decide now whether to go through the trouble and expense of shipping this device back to them on my own dime. Or to keep it and hope for a firmware update that adds compatibility.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@jrhilburn What was your experience buying from Joyeauto? I'd love to get wireless carplay working in my 2019 Honda Odyssey. I currently have one Carplay2air adapter working in my wife's CR-V. I'm hesitant knowing a return has to be shipped back to China.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This video doesn't provide any Ody compatibility reassurances but does provide some insight on whats available. It seems they all use some older "IPhone" chips that can cause compatibility and preformance issues.
Carplay Dongle Review

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does anyone has experience with XPACK Wireless Carplay Adapter on Amazon? It specifically called out 2018 Odyssey, but the price ($300!) and lack of review makes me hesitant.
$300 is a bit excessive. Looks like it won't be released till the end of this month. I would buy it if it was shipped by Amazon as you would get a money back guarantee. But it's sold and shipped by the manufacturer, S mart Gizmos. I tend to run into a lot of push back from Amazon when I request a refund on items not shipped or sold by them. They'll just refer you back to the seller.

I'll pass until I see a video review of it working in a '18+ Odyssey.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Found a video review of the dongle in a Mercedes. Judging by the fact that the car is right hand drive, the guy is in the UK. Hopefully someone in North America will post a review in an Odyssey.

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey EX-L
131 Posts
I had a chance to checkout CPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay on CARPLAY2air.com solution and as much as I wanted to like it I can not recommend it.
This is just my 2 cents, but here they are:
  1. return window is only 14 days and you have to pay restocking fee
  2. I managed to get it working in 2020 Ody, but only once, after that it didn't reconnect
  3. this solution requires your phone not to be connected to any wifi network and not have any active Bluetooth connection. Kind of clunky, because I jump into the car when home, phone is still connected to the home wifi, so do I have to drive off and then try to reconnect? Honestly, in this case using cable makes things much easier
  4. I am not sure about this, just my thought, but I am not a fan of having my phone connected over wifi to some companies device (without proper privacy policy on so on)
+ every iOS update makes it difficult to keep dongle working.
For me I either want an OEM solution or just stick with the cable

·
Registered
1 Posts
@jrhilburn What was your experience buying from Joyeauto? I'd love to get wireless carplay working in my 2019 Honda Odyssey. I currently have one Carplay2air adapter working in my wife's CR-V. I'm hesitant knowing a return has to be shipped back to China.
Joyeauto MMC+ Dongle - Wireless CarPlay USB Dongle PLUS Wireless Mirror Link for the vehicles with Factory CarPlay(WJUC-1) – Joyeauto Technology
Iphone 8 Plus (14.4)
2018 Honda Odyssey Touring (Latest Updates)

I bought the Joyeauto dongle for my 2018 Odyssey, and it is working great.
There are a few times it fails to sync and I need to hit a button for it to retry. 2 minutes later and its booting into the first menu. Then hitting the carplay button and another minute later Im up.
Most times I get into the car and carplay starts up just fine within a minute.

Have not tried any music being played to see what sort of lag that has.
The charging from the carplay dongle seemed to be a little slow, so im using a cigarette dongle to charge my phone now in the car.

I tried using the airplay section and played a youtube video. That seemed to work quite well and is an awesome option that I havent seen other dongles offer.

Ordering from Joyeauto was relatively painless.
Though they did not update that it was shipped, still show it as processing 10 days later.
I did get a shipping notice from DHL about 4 days after I placed the order, and it was delivered in their specified shipping window.

I havent had to deal with there customer service yet.

There has not been a update yet to the dongle, but their websites says Over the Air updates. The dongle shows you can plug a usb to perform the updates. Will see what happens when there is an update available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Joyeauto MMC+ Dongle - Wireless CarPlay USB Dongle PLUS Wireless Mirror Link for the vehicles with Factory CarPlay(WJUC-1) – Joyeauto Technology
Iphone 8 Plus (14.4)
2018 Honda Odyssey Touring (Latest Updates)

I bought the Joyeauto dongle for my 2018 Odyssey, and it is working great.
There are a few times it fails to sync and I need to hit a button for it to retry. 2 minutes later and its booting into the first menu. Then hitting the carplay button and another minute later Im up.
Most times I get into the car and carplay starts up just fine within a minute.

Have not tried any music being played to see what sort of lag that has.
The charging from the carplay dongle seemed to be a little slow, so im using a cigarette dongle to charge my phone now in the car.

I tried using the airplay section and played a youtube video. That seemed to work quite well and is an awesome option that I havent seen other dongles offer.

Ordering from Joyeauto was relatively painless.
Though they did not update that it was shipped, still show it as processing 10 days later.
I did get a shipping notice from DHL about 4 days after I placed the order, and it was delivered in their specified shipping window.

I havent had to deal with there customer service yet.

There has not been a update yet to the dongle, but their websites says Over the Air updates. The dongle shows you can plug a usb to perform the updates. Will see what happens when there is an update available.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds tempting to try it on my 2019 Odyssey. Were you able to find any promotions and what was the shipping cost?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reading positive news about the Joyeauto CarPlay MMB (WJUC-1) on the Odyssey, I decided to give it a shot. Lost confidence in the CarPlay2air/Carlinkit 2.0 firmware updates working in the Odyssey. I emailed Joyeauto sales and they offered free shipping. Should ship on Monday.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CRV
1 Posts
I have tried the Carplay2Air adapter on my 2019 Honda Odyssey and experienced the same unable to connect. They sent me a firmware update file but apparently it’s the same version that is already on the adapter. The support person said there’s another firmware coming out in 2 weeks. In the meantime, it’s working on my wife’s 2018 Honda CR-V with no problems.
I noticed your comment about the 2018 CRV not having problems. I also have a 2018 CRV and cannot get the head unit to recognize the dongle at all. There is also no response from the dongle itself (light just stays steady red). The dongle is plugged into the correct the USB port where the otherwise iPhone would be plugged into for hardwired CarPlay.

Did you have to do anything special to get the head unit to respond to the dongle on the CRV?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I noticed your comment about the 2018 CRV not having problems. I also have a 2018 CRV and cannot get the head unit to recognize the dongle at all. There is also no response from the dongle itself (light just stays steady red). The dongle is plugged into the correct the USB port where the otherwise iPhone would be plugged into for hardwired CarPlay.

Did you have to do anything special to get the head unit to respond to the dongle on the CRV?
That’s what happened in my Odyssey. I tried it my CRV and it booted right away to the connect screen prompting the Bluetooth connection. I would try to connect to the dongle’s WiFi and check the firmware level to see if you’re at the latest version. I didn’t do anything special to make it work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I received my Joyeauto MMB today and it worked on my 2019 Odyssey. Don’t expect any useful documentation. Once you plug it in you can pretty much figure it out. I paid by PayPal and they shipped by DHL.
Thanks for confirming. Have you tried calls, streaming music, navigation? Is there any lag?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I received my Joyeauto MMB today and it worked on my 2019 Odyssey. Don’t expect any useful documentation. Once you plug it in you can pretty much figure it out. I paid by PayPal and they shipped by DHL.
Glad to see more options out there. It's sorely needed. Has anyone tried this one? Wireless AA. $85 seems like a fair price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for confirming. Have you tried calls, streaming music, navigation? Is there any lag?
I had a couple of drives this week. There's no significant lag on the music, nav or calls. I've streamed Apple Music, Pandora and Alexa Podcasts with the Garmin Speak. The steering wheel track change arrows don't work. I really don't have a need for the phonecast. The bigger issue is the boot up sequence. Out of the box first boot should go into a shell that contains options for CarPlay, PhoneCast and Bluetooth streaming. I had to reseat the USB cord to boot into the shell. Select CarPlay and then see a prompt to set up a new phone connection. Set up the phone and the device will state rebooting into CarPlay. Then the head unit errors asking if you want to disable this device or retry enabling this device on next boot. I had to reseat the USB cord and then it booted into CarPlay normally and works fine. Power cycle the car/head unit and the same error message happens again. Reseat the USB cord and it boots into CarPlay normally. Also worth noting, the device only maintains a connection list for 1 phone. If you want to switch phones, you have to set up a new phone in the shell. While the USB cable reseat and phone selection are an annoyance, I've gotten much further with CarPlay in the Odyssey compared to the CarPlay2Air or CarlinkIt 2.0. There's very minimal documentation. I'll contact support for possible firmware updates and advice to address these issues. I also have to wonder how much the Odyssey head unit is contributing to the boot issues. I'm using an iPhone 12Pro with iOS 14.4.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts