Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend Radio Shack ran an ad for a <a href="http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_007_013_003_000&product_id=63-1033">US$29.95 wireless thermometer</a>. Runs on AA batteries, comes w/ 1 waterproof sensor but supports 2.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this with a vehicle.

I'd like to monitor both the outside temperature as well as the temperature in the 3rd row.

The specs say the maximum separation is 60 feet but I wonder about interference from the vehicle's metal or electrical components.

<center>
</center>

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Radio Shack unit is made by Oregon Scientific. Neat little package. I have bolted the remote unit behind the front bumper and it works well.

------------------
2000 Acura Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
1993 Ford Explorer

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silk:
The Radio Shack unit is made by Oregon Scientific. Neat little package. I have bolted the remote unit behind the front bumper and it works well.

</font>
silk,

How often do you have to change batteries in the sensor? Where/how did you mount the receiver/display?

TIA,

Maugham

·
Registered
564 Posts
If they would make this stuff smaller for auto use, it would be fantastic. I've been using this technology for years at home, and love it. I change the trans batteries about every 18 months.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV) - currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) - The most fun you can have with a box full of electrons.

·
Registered
37 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
silk,

How often do you have to change batteries in the sensor? Where/how did you mount the receiver/display?

TIA,

Maugham
</font>
As for battery replacement frequency, it all depends on ambient outside temperatures and the type of battery you use. I change them about every six months to be on the safe side. I clip the receiver/display to the sun visor or place it in the cupholder of the Heartland console. I didn't want to mount it onto the dash because it doesn't have that OEM look about it.

------------------
2000 Acura Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
1993 Ford Explorer

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">As for battery replacement frequency, it all depends on ambient outside temperatures and the type of battery you use. I change them about every six months to be on the safe side.</font>
???????????

"...on the safe side"?

Why not just let the batteries die, then replace them?

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 4theboys:
How accurate is it? </font>
These things are typically within 1* F. I have six remote sensors, and when I put them all in the same place they all show within 1*. Plus I have several high-end, very accurate digital thermometers that verify the readings. Well worth the money IMHO.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV) - currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) - The most fun you can have with a box full of electrons.

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
???????????

"...on the safe side"?

Why not just let the batteries die, then replace them?
</font>
Adam makes a good point. I've yet to be harmed by a dead thermometer battery. And like I said above, I get WAY more life out of mine than 6 months. Many of mine go two years. When the display goes blank, that remote gets a new battery.

- Darell

1 - 9 of 9 Posts