Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've installed a hitch and have the wiring in hand, but have a question about routing. There appear to be two options:

1) just have the wiring exit from the left rear trim where it connects and then just have it exit through the rear gate, leaving all the wiring exposed.

2) removing the bumper and directing the wiring through a hole on the left body panel and then running it under/through the bumper - a cleaner approach.

#2 is preferable of course, but it's a pain in the ass, so I was wondering if anyone had identified any other option that would be easy, yet retain a factory like appearance.

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Under the carpet in the well are drain plugs which are easily removed. You could route the wiring under ther carpet and out threw one of the plugs , then to the trailer hitch. I would modify the plug and seal wiith silicone sealer to prevent water entry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent insight, thanks. I may even pair this job up with a sound deadening one sine I'll be in there anyhow. All of this once it gets warmer of course.

Regards,

Jon

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I did similar to what Cantech mentions. I did not have to remove the bumper, it was a simple enough install.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I installed a hitch wiring kit in my 03 Ody using an OEM wiring harness. I was able to route it thru the hole in the left fender well and under the car to the hitch. I did not have to remove the rear bumper as the instructions outline. It was a little difficult but doable with a little patience.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Go buy a bottle of crown royal. If you drink, drink it. If not, take the bag from it and give it to a friend.

Now, keep the wiring nice and folded up in this bag in the cargo area when not in use. Pull it out and simply close the hatch over it when you want to use it.

The connectors stay nice and clean and do not need the dialectical grease, etc.

Done this for several years and really like it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do drink, and did consider it after my first (failed) attempt. That rear trim is a mo fo.

Anyhow, those here may be amused to learn that the primary purpose for the electrical connection is not for actually hauling things, but to provide power and signals to a chrome skull which has LED lights in the eyes and nose which engage as one drives.

It was a gift from my wife.

JB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts