Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a hidden hitch for my 01EX.
I'm looking to purchase a wiring harness to hook up to a trailer. Honda does not sell one seperately. Any suggestions where I can purchase one online at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I ordered my hidden hitch (which I haven't installed yet) from www.bageco.com. They have the wire harness and adapter there too. Did you get the rubber cover for the round hitch?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mario, does the hitch utilize the existing mounts, and do you have to modify the bumper cover to install.

Can you post installation instructions?

Regards
Al

·
Registered
43 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by albaby:
Mario, does the hitch utilize the existing mounts, and do you have to modify the bumper cover to install.

Can you post installation instructions?

Regards
Al
</font>
Al,

Look for a thread called Hidden Round tube hitch. I have a few instructions in that thread plus several folks have pictures here and in the gallery. The short answer is that the hitch bolts right into the frame on the 99-01 Ody into existing threaded holes. No bumper mod is necessary.

As an added note: Those who are delaying the purchase or installation of the hitch might want to find six short bolts with the proper thread size (metric of course) and install them to plug up the holes before road grime accumulates. Otherwise it will be more difficult to install the hitch bolts later. The thread size is probably specified in the Honda directions avail online from H and A.

Greg

------------------
gbaxley
'01 TW EX

·
Registered
73 Posts
etrailer has the T-One connector for the Ody's, they are easy to put on as long as you don't want to run the wires out to the underside of the van, then you have to go through the air vent or the taillight opening. I just fed mine through one of the holes where the jack is stored. I just run it out the rear door when I need it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Im also got one from etrailer and connect it similarly, hiding it when not in use and draping over the rubber seal when needed. Works great for the occasional tow. I also suggest getting the rubber receiver cover from H and A for $10, makes the install look cleaner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thread size is 12mm x 1.25. This thread profile is not very common, most stores carry 12x1.5. Trust me, covering those holes are the best thing you can do. The bolts are all but impossible to thread in after a few years with exposed holes. I couldn't find the tap and had to re-drill and tap for 1/2-13 bolts. Needless to say, my installation was a tad longer than a couple of hours.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Having not seen these bolt holes directly, but imagining them, what would keep someone from just using a can of paint thinner and a good stiff parts cleaning brush to clean the road grime off the holes? That would certainly seem simpler if it worked.. If paint thinner was not strong enough, perhaps something else might help as well.. Just a thought..

-- Rick

·
Registered
11 Posts
50k miles of New England crud is most difficult to remove. The holes are a tick under 1/2" so finding a small but stout brush is a problem. I was worried that the torque I was applying to the bolts would break the weld as it has happened to other members.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ahh.. Point taken.. Perhaps for those of us on the bottom left side of the country, the problem *might* not be as nasty..

Thanks for the info!

-- Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts