Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1805174690&r=0&t=0

Looks like a good deal on a 2002 EX-L RES-DVD to me but there are 6 days left before close of auction so the price may climb. It is now at $23,101 that is over $5K less than I paid for my 2002 EX. If I hadn't made my purchase already, I definitely would have made a bid on this one.

Anyway, I thought some of you shoppers would appreciate knowing.

[This message has been edited by 2002EXODY (edited 02-13-2002).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
First, the reserve hasn't been met, so I suspect that the deal is not as good as you think. Second, there's no way it would sell for the current price based on the 18 current bids and 6+ days left on the auction. Still, it's fun to dream!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002EXODY:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1805174690&r=0&t=0

Looks like a good deal on a 2002 EX-L RES-DVD to me but there are 6 days left before close of auction so the price may climb. It is now at $23,101 that is over $5K less than I paid for my 2002 EX-L. If I hadn't made my purchase already, I definitely would have made a bid on this one.

Anyway, I thought some of you shoppers would appreciate knowing.

</font>
Things on E-bay sometimes end up selling for MORE than they do at local businesses.

I think people get caught up in the heat of the moment. For a hot item, people seem to wait until the very end to bid, they don't want to play their last card until they have to.

------------------
Regards,

Maugham
_ ________________________ _

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces
Rockport MW351 Brown Boots (for winter) and '00 Brown Laces

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Av8torjim:
First, the reserve hasn't been met, so I suspect that the deal is not as good as you think. Second, there's no way it would sell for the current price based on the 18 current bids and 6+ days left on the auction. Still, it's fun to dream!</font>
I thought the reserved price was met when the Buy Now link disappeared. Correct me if I am wrong but all of the ebay stuff has that "reserved price not met" link even if it is met.

·
Registered
530 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002EXODY:
I thought the reserved price was met when the Buy Now link disappeared....</font>
Sorry, that is wrong, I just viewed it and the current bid is $24,400 and just to the right of that is in red, "reserve not met" I agree with Maugham, it probably won't end up being anything worthwhile.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The "buy it now" option is only good while the item has zero bids. Once an item is bid upon, it goes away and you can no longer buy it for that price.

Did anyone notice what they "buy it now" price was?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Original quote (sorry, I don't know how to do it the correct way):

I thought the reserved price was met when the Buy Now link disappeared. Correct me if I am wrong but all of the ebay stuff has that "reserved price not met" link even if it is met.

I didn't see a Buy it Now option on that item. In fact, I'm sure there wasn't one.

CMMyers is partially correct. He is correct that the Buy it Now option disappears with the first bid IF it is a non-reserve auction. With a reserve auction, the Buy it Now option disappears when the reserve price is met. For example, if he set an opening bid of $1, a reserve of $24,000 (which you don't know) and a Buy it Now price of $25,000, the Buy it Now option disappears once the bidding is more than $24,000 (the reserve). That gives bidders an incentive to "Buy it Now" to avoid having to get into a bidding war. You can sell without either Buy it Now or a reserve. In fact, E-Bay's research apparently shows that items listed without reserve prices (or at least with low reserve prices) typically sell for more in the end because more people get interested early on and keep following the auction. Of course, like me, many get bidding fever. I've sold quite a bit of stereo equipment on E-Bay and I tend to agree with their research results. In any event, the price is now up to $25,300 (as of 10:00 a.m. EST) and the reserve price still hasn't been met. It will be interesting to see how high it goes.

Here's an E-Bay link that explains Buy it Now:

http://pages.ebay.com/ebaymotors/services/buyandsell/buyitnow.html

·
Registered
99 Posts
I sell stuff on Ebay all the time. "Buy it Now" disappears once the reserve is met, however the seller does not have to include this option. If there is no "Buy it Now" on this item, and the reserve hasn't been met, then "Buy it Now" never existed on the item.

------------------
01 Nissan Frontier SE CC
02 MB EX (Soon)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeez, lots of intricacies on ebay. Anyway, should be interesting. Sounds to me this guy is having financial problems ("personal reasons") due to the economy. Lord knows I feel it too. I hope I won't have to do the same thing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Checked the link a few minutes ago and bids are up to $26,501 with almost 6 more days to go and reserve not yet met. Nothing to get excited about. A lot of times auctions drastically change during the last minute even. I have won some and lost some; nothing in the $25,000 range, though. I don't think the seller is necessarily in a bind. He had one other auction for a 1999 Porsche 911 which went for $56,000 on January 27.
eBay is fun though as long as you keep a cool head and don't expect to get stuff for next to nothing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts