Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a WIX 57356 at O'Riley for an oil change on my '02 Odyssey. Also purchased two more at Rock Auto, since I was ordering some other stuff. I found it interesting that, even though they are the same number, they are somewhat different.

Any thoughts? Does it Matter? I guess I was curious, since I'm aware there is quite a problem with fake parts.

Drinkware Liquid Drink Font Cylinder
Beverage can Tin Aluminum can Tin can Drinkware
Sleeve Font Electric blue Auto part Circle
Yellow Font Gas Auto part Electric blue
Automotive tire Carbon Rim Audio equipment Font
Automotive tire Watch Alloy wheel Tread Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Price rules.

·
Registered
2012 EXL. 2013 Touring
435 Posts
Recently purchased a WIX 57356 at O'Riley for an oil change on my '02 Odyssey. Also purchased two more at Rock Auto, since I was ordering some other stuff. I found it interesting that, even though they are the same number, they are somewhat different.

Any thoughts? Does it Matter? I guess I was curious, since I'm aware there is quite a problem with fake parts.

View attachment 168008 View attachment 168009 View attachment 168010 View attachment 168011 View attachment 168012 View attachment 168013
You can answer your own question by taking them apart after you use them. You will find that the quantity and quality of the materials are cheaper. The wix company could have had a Chinese company give them a bid of $xxx per unit and it was cheaper than their other sources. Naturally they would like the profit. The requested specs may not have been maintained. So you get what you paid for. Sound to good to be true, probably is not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Although I have not purchased extensively from Rock Auto, the stuff I've ordered - headlamp bulbs and wiper blades, for example - have looked like the item and packaging I would buy locally. So, I was just surprised that was not the case with the Wix filters.

I have watched many YouTube videos on oil filters - enough to make my head spin.

So, is the consensus opinion here these filters should be returned or okay to use? If I use them, I will open up the used ones and do a comparison. We do have '02 and '04 vans, but that will still take some months to happen.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
215 Posts
What are the date codes on them? I suspect the smaller/plastic wrapped one is newer and part of Mann+Hummel's cost cutting measures they've implemented lately.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
215 Posts
I only use Honda genuine...
Bosch or Mahle in our other vehicles.

Plenty of youtube videos on oil filter comparisons.
if you use wixxp that would be acceptable, the filter above is not wixxp.
avoid fram.
Lol avoid Fram. Also, Wix XP's efficiency is horrid, especially for the price.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
If I were counterfeiting a part that says "Made in USA", I would not change that to "Made in China" on the ripoffs. Perhaps "Made in Taiwan", or "Made in Japan", but Not "China".

I expect "name" companies to have products manufactured to their specs, regardless of where they are made. With lower labor and environmental costs in China, I believe they can cut costs while maintaining quality. If they choose to do so. Of course, they could go all out for low price, quality be damned.

For me, it boils down to: Do you trust Wix?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Lol avoid Fram. Also, Wix XP's efficiency is horrid, especially for the price.
more wix data is welcomed if you have it...

good read on Honda filters which is the same for 90% of their engines...

·
Registered
3,803 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
215 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
215 Posts
curious what line of fram would be adequate enough for a honda filter, if the above article research is indeed valid.

Dodgy OEM source data for any of the suppliers, doesn't leave much for the reviewer.
The Honda OEM filters resemble the Extra Guard the most.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am quite aware the thoughts and advice on brands of oil and oil filters are varied. So, at some risk, I'll offer this thought: I lean toward the idea that regular oil changes may be just as or more important than the particular brand of oil or filter. The best quality oil or filter is not a substitute for regular, consistent maintenance.

I strive to change the oil in my Odysseys every 3,500 - 4,000 miles. If we have driven a lot of highway miles, it'll go a little longer. That's a carry-over from the days of our '72 VW Squareback.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts