Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how would i know if it was my timing belt that is broke on my 01 oddyssey? van was parked and now wont start. if it is broke, what are chances it has bent valves or caused more damage? thanks in advance-shawn

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Shawn, In the very rare case where a timing belt breaks, it happens when the engine is running, not stopped. Please post more detailed symptoms of your no-start.

- Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply and glad i found this site!! well i am a traditional sbc & sbf kinda guy as far as engine knowledge to say the least, i know nothng of OHC engines etc but it just has that kind of sound like it is only spinning half the engine. i am basing that off of a sound my freinds chevette made when his TB belt broke when we where kids LOL. anyways i am not sure if it is firing etc The TB was just first thing that popped to my head as i was cranking it over . :stupid:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Pull the timing belt cover cover and you'll know right away if it broke. If it did, it's very likely that something is bent, and you can go 1 of two ways from there. 1 is to get both heads rebuilt with new valves, or get a used engine and throw a new belt/waterpump on it.

Most opt for the used engine.

How many miles are on the belt?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
When a timing belt is broken the engine will sound very different when turned over because there's little to no compression. Kinda like the sound it would make with no plugs installed. BTW, a timing belt can break when being started, it happened on an Accord I owned. Basically stripped a bunch of teeth off it. I doubt it's your problem though. I would bet electrical like the ignition switch or security system. Do you hear the fuel pump pressurize?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can open the oil fill cap and see if the valves are moving while turning over the engine. If they are not then it is broken. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts