Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My van eats tires. Had the original replaced under warranty because they prematurely failed. The Goodyear Triple-treads I had installed have failed at 50% of mileage. Alignment is perfect, I rotate the tires and keep the air pressure correct. Never had this problem on my other cars?

So off to get new tires under warranty again. I never likede the triple-treads because they were to noisy and made the steering rough. I have looked at the Michelin Hydro-edges, Goodyear Fuel Max and the Goodyear Comfort Tread. Discount tire is where I buy since they will honor the factory warranties on the tires.

I want quiet all-season radials which perform well in the rain and mild snow. What are the best one to buy?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Had the Michelins on our CR-V, which probably have 70K on them (5-tire rotation) and about a year to go before hitting the wear bars. I can't comment on their snow capability (other than one uneventful trip to Tahoe), but did great otherwise - especially when blasting through torrential downpours at highway speeds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Get the Michelin's!!!!!

I never buy anything else on any vehicle in the last 10 years and never have an issue. Any good tire man will tell you the same thing. They are a little more up front, but you will get your mileage out of them.

One of my only gripes is the road noise in the Ody, and while the Michelin's will quiet it down a good bit, you will probably never be 100% happy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My van eats tires. ... What are the best one to buy?

My previous van - a Sienna, used to do the same. I had Comfort-treads on them and then the Triple-treads. I got the second and third sets of Triple-treads for about $100 for 4 tires because premature wear was covered under the Goodyear Assurance warranty. I kept getting the Goodyear Assurance tires solely because of the warranty.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I've had 3 brands of tires on my van since we purchased it. The only ones I've liked are Michelin. The others thumped and were noisy.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My sister's 1999 is on it's second set of Michelin Hydroedges with good wear (probably had about 50-60K on the first set). Before that, they had Goodyears which were very problematic (3 out of four of their version of the hydroedge rain tire had to be replaced before they reached 30K miles, and after that they gave up on Goodyear).

These vans are heavy and are hard on tires. Front end alignment and proper rotation is also critical in maximizing tire life.

I'm going to put a set of Michelins on our 2001 next year some time, from Costco (haven't figured out exactly which tire model yet, I have three to choose from). We have some Federal Formoza FD-1s on there now and I really am not happy with their quality (I can't even rotate them as one out of the four is so much smaller than the other three that it can't be placed on the front of the vehicle w/o causing a major pull to one side, and yes, they are all the same size in labelling).

·
Registered
305 Posts
I got 69,000 out of my factory tires. My Comfort-Treds are pretty quiet and smooth riding. They're not great in snow but not too bad. I'll get 70,000+ miles out of them.

Are you sure your shocks/struts or ball joints don't need replacing. Something must not be right to go through tires like that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am leaning towards the Michelin Hydroedges. I will get a good discount from Discount Ties for the premature wear and I can pick any tire they stock. I have had the suspension all checked and the alignment is right on. Maybe it is how my wife and daughter drive the van!?!?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Get the Michelin Harmony. Awesome!!! I had HydroEdge but they sucked. The HydroEdges wore out within 45K mi and got progressively noisier. I am on Harmonies now and love 'em. Going on 64K mi right now and there's still a good amount left.

2000 EX-Nav

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ditto on the Michelin Harmony. I put on the Harmony tires at 63000 and now have 147000. Still have some tread but will replace them soon. They are great. Will not even consider any other tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts