Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey EX-L, 2015 Mercedes GLA250, 1979 Mercedes 6.9
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently bought a 2020 EX-L, and one of the first things that I did was to tint the front windows (20%) and the sunroof (5%). I'm a redhead, as are most of my kids, and I hate the feeling of the sun hitting me.

I know the factory privacy glass really doesn't offer any UV protection, so would it be worth going over it with a really light UV blocking tint? I'm wondering if it will make any difference with the amount of heat getting into the van? Will it help to minimize sun damage to the interior?

Thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
It definitely helps for all the items you listed. I went with 35% front and 18% on the rear (2nd row, 3rd row, rear). I probably could have gone darker with the fronts, but I have those static cling shades if I need a litlte more coverage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It definitely helps for all the items you listed. I went with 35% front and 18% on the rear (2nd row, 3rd row, rear). I probably could have gone darker with the fronts, but I have those static cling shades if I need a litlte more coverage.
Do you have photos of your tint?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is mine. Like I said, 20% up front, 5% on the sunroof, and factory on the rear. As you can see, the factory tinting looks slightly lighter than the 20% up front. I'm thinking I'm going to just pull the trigger and have them finish the tint in the back next week.

·
Registered
464 Posts
OP - the car looks good! A little darker in the rear would balance out the fronts nicely, although it can be hard to tell in pictures over the internet.

Do you have photos of your tint?
Here are pictures of my car that I posted in the 20" wheel thread (if you were asking me). It was overcast/raining when I took the pictures, so the tint looks much darker than it usually does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wound up getting all of the rear windows tinted with 20% over the factory privacy glass. It's pretty dark, but I really like it. It keeps the car relatively dark inside, even in the middle of the day, which is exactly how I prefer it. Here's some new pictures from the same angles as the originals I posted with only the front tinted, in case anyone in the future wants to see the difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you get it professionally tinted or did it yourself? if pro, how did you get them to do it? The shops in my area don't tell you that they won't do it, but after telling them to put on darker tint (than legally able by my State of TN), they would simply put on legal tint without telling me (in my other vehicles)... haven't tinted my new 2020 EX-L yet.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I wound up getting all of the rear windows tinted with 20% over the factory privacy glass. It's pretty dark, but I really like it. It keeps the car relatively dark inside, even in the middle of the day, which is exactly how I prefer it. Here's some new pictures from the same angles as the originals I posted with only the front tinted, in case anyone in the future wants to see the difference.
The car looks great!

Did you get it professionally tinted or did it yourself? if pro, how did you get them to do it? The shops in my area don't tell you that they won't do it, but after telling them to put on darker tint (than legally able by my State of TN), they would simply put on legal tint without telling me (in my other vehicles)... haven't tinted my new 2020 EX-L yet.
I had it done at a shop. Here in California, legally, we cannot have the front windows tinted (without a medical exemption). But, it is rarely the sole reason for being pulled over. The shop I go to has been in business for a long time and they do a great job. They tell you the legality of it, but in the end it is up to the consumer. I hope you are able to find a shop that does what you are asking of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd be pissed if they told me they were putting one thing on, but did another.

Check around at different shops. Some of the ones out here offer a warranty where if you get a tint ticket, they will remove it so you can get the ticket signed off, then reapply new tint for something like $50. The shop I got mine at didn't offer this, but the shop my ex girlfriend used did.

But realistically, I've never been bothered about the tint. I used to have a Silverado that had 5% tint on the front side windows, and 2.5% on the back. I was pulled over a few times in it, and the tint was never even brought up. I'm assuming a minivan will draw even less attention, as long as they're not looking for a reason to pull you over.

If you decide to do the tint yourself, the side windows are relatively easy. Just go slow, make sure you clean everything good, and stay relaxed. It's especially easy if you buy pre-cut tint online. I've done this on several vehicles in the past with good results (No wrinkles, bubbles or other issues). I just didn't feel like messing around with it myself this time around, and wanted a warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts