Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if any manufacturer makes a 6.5" sub woofer that would mount in the rear enclosures ? Just my wife and I use the van , how would it sound ?

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002 LX:
Curious if any manufacturer makes a 6.5" sub woofer that would mount in the rear enclosures ? Just my wife and I use the van , how would it sound ?</font>
I had 6.5 Kicker subs in the rear deck of my Civic and the baskets were bigger than non-sub speakers.I guess it all depends on the depth. I haven't really seen to many manufacturers offering 6.5 subs recently.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Most 6.5s are suitable for mid-bass/subwoofer applications in the rear deck/rear enclosures of a vehicle. This load more approximates an infinite baffle.

In the Ody, the main issue will be mounting depth. I haven't seen the back of the '02, but I venture to guess the mounting depth is right around 2.25". That really limits your choices, since most manufacturers of quality mid-bass drivers have depths of 2.5" or deeper. MB Quart, Morel, on the higher end, and Boston, Kicker, JL Audio on the midrange of pricing are ones that come to mind, all at or over 2.5" depth.

I know JL Audio makes a component 6.5" sub intended for sealed/ported enclosure applications, but this won't work for you, due again to size, and the speaker loading.

Mass market speakers in 6.5" typically tend to be coax mount, etc.. so aren't really what you are looking for, but you could use them and disable the HF driver, no problem.

The other issue with this setup is sound. Most 6.5s will have more of a mid-bass emphasis, peaking in response around 80Hz. For true sub like performance and sound, you'll probably want an outboard amp with electronic crossover, set somewhere in the 60Hz-80Hz region, allowing the rears to blend with your front soundstage better. And better yet, would be a subsonic filter in addition so as to limit speaker excursion below 30 Hz. Small drivers in IB need to be treated with care, else you can blow them very quickly.

Hope this helps.

p.s.- looked at Kicker's offerings, per Rob's suggestion too... they have a mid bass in the resolution line that is 2.5" deep and the free air 6.5 sub is 3" deep.

------------------
-SJ
(former username: shinjohn)
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

[This message has been edited by shindog (edited 11-20-2001).]

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shindog:

p.s.- looked at Kicker's offerings, per Rob's suggestion too... they have a mid bass in the resolution line that is 2.5" deep and the free air 6.5 sub is 3" deep.
</font>
Wow, didn't know they still make the freeairs
I had in my Civic.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
129 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hachiroku:
I had 6.5 Kicker subs in the rear deck of my Civic and the baskets were bigger than non-sub speakers.I guess it all depends on the depth. I haven't really seen to many manufacturers offering 6.5 subs recently.
</font>
Hachiroku,

How were those Kicker 6.5" free-airs??
I have a 2001 Civic and am thinking about upgrading the sound. No amp yet, but
*maybe* in the future. I suppose I could use a passive filter inline with the 6.5" free-airs for a while.

Thanks!

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium

1 - 5 of 5 Posts