Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coworker has a 2011 Touring model (purchased for ~$38k) and was in a minor wreck after just 2 weeks of owning it. They ran into someone that ran a redlight, and the front end was damaged (see attached photo). Basically it needed a new bumper (maybe fender/grill too?), head/fog lamp, parking sensor, AC condensor, and driver's airbag. The dealership repaired it and I saw it afterwards and the repair work appears flawless and I popped the hood and could not tell it was even in a wreck. I took it for a drive and it seems just fine.

Anyways, my coworker is being an*l about it and really wants a new van. But of course the dealer is lowballing him on trade-in ($29k). He is also going to try to go after a diminished value claim with the other driver's insurance company. If he can't get any money from them, he'll probably keep the van. BUT, if he can get a few thousand bucks from them, he said he would be willing to sell me his van for $33k so he can go and buy another one. It only has about 1100 miles on it.

Do you think I should buy it if he's willing to sell?

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeesh.

For $5 Grand more I'd just buy a new van rather than have a wrecked one. You could probably find a used non-wrecked van for around $33K, maybe even less very shortly.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I would be wary of it since that area has tended to hold some rather vulnerable parts in Odys. ie Steering rack, AC condenser etc. But it depends, if you were normally buying an Ody, would you buy a Touring? I wouldn't buy it unless its an "upgrade". If you would normally buy the Touring at cost, I would just go new, but everyone's financial situations/priorities are different. I am also cautious about a replaced airbag, but I maybe too paranoid and its probably fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
With that little mileage you could probably get the extended warranty too. At least it's worth checking into. Then you could feel more comfortable with the purchase.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I do want a Touring. There's not really any used 2011's out yet to compare. However, used 2010 Tourings (old bodystyle) with 15-20k miles are on dealer lots here for $34 to $36k. And they won't budge much off those prices (I asked), so it makes sense to buy new.

Normally I wouldn't want a wrecked car but this particular van has me interested since I know the owner and know exactly what did happen to it - that it really wasn't a major collision.

The hit didn't penetrate that deep. I'll have to check out his repair bill again but if I recall, I'm fairly certain that there wasn't any steering/axle/suspension components that was damaged or replaced. Just the AC condenser in front as I mentioned, and actually the entire steering wheel was replaced. He will give me all the paperwork if I buy it.

Yes, I believe there is a warranty for the repair work itself, and the balance of factory warranty is still there. and I did inquire with Bob at Hyannis Honda Care and he said I can still get the extended warranty with no problem. The van still has a clear title.

I guess I'll see what happpens. Again the deal won't happen unless he is able to get paid a few thousand with a diminished value claim. His wife (primary driver) wants to just keep it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
. He is also going to try to go after a diminished value claim with the other driver's insurance company.

Do you think I should buy it if he's willing to sell?
First, I don't think you can get diminished value claim...I've never heard that before...the insurance company is only responsible for repairing the damage.

As for you, I would not chance it and purchase his potential problem vehicle.

Like others have posted, either wait until a few months until more 2011 Tourings (pre-owned) are on the market or just pay the extra to get a brand new one.

Why chance your working environment over a van? What if it has issue in the future that he/nor the repair shop were aware of? Things would be a little bit uncomfortable in the office...no?

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
First, I don't think you can get diminished value claim...I've never heard that before...the insurance company is only responsible for repairing the damage.
Actually, such a thing does exist. Its hard to get but since the van is so new, perhaps the victim has a case and they might get some money but thousands of dollars might be a stretch. I agree with the victim's wife. No point in taking almost a 10K hit. They should just keep the car.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'd look real close at the right fender, it looks like it has been pulled down and out by the crash. It's so slight but if you look at the space between the fender and the hood, and look from the front to the rear you can see the space is slightly wider in front. It may lead to and alignment issue. I'd buy new.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd look real close at the right fender, it looks like it has been pulled down and out by the crash. It's so slight but if you look at the space between the fender and the hood, and look from the front to the rear you can see the space is slightly wider in front. It may lead to and alignment issue. I'd buy new.
I would have to agree w/that statement in general. They can NEVER get it perfect after an accident. Even when they replace everything new...to align it like the factory...is simply impossible. I've experienced it with several personal vehicles...in which the dealerships' factory trained body shop can never get it to be factory perfect.

Be aware.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Additionally, you might also take into consideration that this could possibly be on the CARFAX report for this VIN...depending upon if the body shop reported the accident/repairs...or if it was reported by police.

That in itself would have future buyers trying to avoid this van..especially if it's on the CarFax report.

1/2 or more accidents aren't reported on CarFax...so it seems..in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Minor Bump.....And actually...it was an improvement

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
everyone has brought up good points, I have thought about those same things too.

a side story - several years back, my parents had an Acura TL that got hit on the left side and the impact forced them into guard rail on right side. Over $15k in damages/repair work. They kept it another year or two then traded it in. The accident never showed up on Carfax!

yeah, he might not even get much money out of a diminished value claim, we'll see. But anyways, thought of it some more and decided just to go for a new van instead and not have to worry about potential problems mechanically or with selling that van down the road.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
The accident never showed up on Carfax!

That is because CF sucks A$$ and is highly inaccurate. Anyone who buys a car because it has a clean CF is a fool!! I have personally run 3 cars that I know were in severe accidents, police reports, and repaired by insurance....ALL CAME BACK CLEAR!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree. Carfax is totally inaccurate. Most recently I looked at a Porsche 993. The current owner told me that he filed an insurance claim due to front end suspension damage due to a manhole left uncovered by city workers. The city public works paid almost $12000 for the repair damage and it does not appear in carfax report. This is of course well documented with police report, city public works report etc.

That is because CF sucks A$$ and is highly inaccurate. Anyone who buys a car because it has a clean CF is a fool!! I have personally run 3 cars that I know were in severe accidents, police reports, and repaired by insurance....ALL CAME BACK CLEAR!!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I believe this is the reason dealer use Carfax so often....It is to their benefit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seeing as the air bag deployed I would highly recommend not purchasing the vehicle. If you ever tried to sell or trade the van in and the VIN was run I believe the deployment of the air bag would show up in the computer systems, although if I remember correctly they will only show up in Honda and insurance computers although someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Also, the right side of the vehicle almost looks like it doesn't align properly. Just a new-b's 2 cents.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^you're looking at the wrecked photo so yes the right fender alignment is off some, I'm pretty sure it was replaced as well. After being repaired, the van looks as good as new as far as I can tell. But anyways, I did pass on it and bought my own new van this week. So case closed for this message thread...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts