Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knowing what you know and your experience with the Ody. Would you make the same purchase or perhaps would have made a different choice?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Even with the small niggly problems, I would definitely buy the same van again. No regrets here!

:nod:

·
Registered
632 Posts
The Ody fits my needs I will buy another 09-10 coz I'm not having any problems with my 3rd Gen.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
No regrets with ours either. Plus I want you to get an elite too so I can compare my traffic updates see if they are only only useless in my car, or it's our area :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Absolutely! I love this car, and I believe that later on in the model year (bought mine in May) Honda worked out some of the bugs.

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
Let me beat WW on this one and be the first one to say I wouldn't. I don't see another Honda in my near future.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No regrets with ours either. Plus I want you to get an elite too so I can compare my traffic updates see if they are only only useless in my car, or it's our area :)
Uh huh....now I see why you've been pushing the Elite.

Let me beat WW on this one and be the first one to say I wouldn't. I don't see another Honda in my near future.
Wow...Honda should give you a free van with 10,000 posts.

·
Registered
318 Posts
No more Honda for me. I've owned Hondas since 1981. Quality went down
on the 3rd gen. Ody. Honda skimped out on quality parts, perhaps buying it from China or Taiwan.

Time to upgrade to Acura and Mercedes. Oh wait a minute, I already did :DD

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
on the 3rd gen. Ody. Honda skimped out on quality parts, perhaps buying it from China or Taiwan.

I am a true Honda fan from day one of driving. Since Honda and Acura are now made in the states and with only few parts from Japan, I feel that quality has to suffer somewhere. I purchased a 2010 TL last year and noticed the front head light did not align with panel. Also leather was not nicely tailored compared to Lexus etc. Speaking of Lexus, I purchased a 2010 Rx350 with a front bumper mis aligned. This was assembled in Canada.

Can't beat the fit and finish of the Germans though. They also have their own issues, but so far so good on my end. Sorry for the rambles....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I would purchase the 11 Ody, if I had to do it over again. We tried a domestic minivan (04 Chrysler Town and Country), which we traded with 180k miles (not necessarily problem free, but not the worst). The fit and quality, especially the interior,of the 11 Ody are tough to equal. I came out of a European SUV, which I thought was a gold standard in terms of quality, and I don't feel like I lost anything in terms of that quality. In fact, I feel a bit more secure in terms of the longevity of the Ody (this is our fourth Honda vehicle). I feel like we made a wise purchase.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think I would have chosen a different van based on my experience of my 2011 EX-L. I have never owned a Honda before this and I think this will be my last. I have the low battery issue that still goes off all the time, I don't like how the transmission downshifts when you slow down or go down a hill (Grade Logic), and the VCM seems to be more noticeable (vibration/momentary hesitation as it shuts off) than I would like, not to mention it goes on and off hundreds of times every trip. I guess I should have taken a longer test drive on city streets to figure all this out before I purchased it. The interior on the van is very nice though and my wife likes it, so its not all bad. Hopefully it will be a reliable van for us since we hope to hold on to it for awhile.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Knowing what you know and your experience with the Ody. Would you make the same purchase or perhaps would have made a different choice?
Only if its a used 3rd gen or Honda redesigns the 2011. I have pretty much settled on the Nissan Quest as my next van. It was tied with the Sienna, but after driving and extensively studying both, that is where I'm headed next. I wouldn't even consider the 4th gen Ody.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I too am a Honda fan but up to a certain point.
I bought the S2000 when they first came out and I was very pleased with that thing. Although I paid premium for it, I can say that they put out such a great roadster that screams and asks for "moaaaar". However since you have the NSX in your list, I couldn't compare it with that.

Nevertheless, I will not reconsider Hondas (note: didn't say 'never')
anymore and perhaps settle with the E55 as my family touring car. However for camping and other sports activity I have the wife's MDX to use.

I am a true Honda fan from day one of driving. Since Honda and Acura are now made in the states and with only few parts from Japan, I feel that quality has to suffer somewhere. I purchased a 2010 TL last year and noticed the front head light did not align with panel. Also leather was not nicely tailored compared to Lexus etc. Speaking of Lexus, I purchased a 2010 Rx350 with a front bumper mis aligned. This was assembled in Canada.

Can't beat the fit and finish of the Germans though. They also have their own issues, but so far so good on my end. Sorry for the rambles....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bobbys2k...
I remembered when the s2k came out. I was drooling all over it. Still thinking about picking up a used one for some summer fun. Now that family is growing, fun....what fun.

I'll be testing out the 2011 R350 blue tec today. Honda may miss out on a sale here.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Only if its a used 3rd gen or Honda redesigns the 2011. I have pretty much settled on the Nissan Quest as my next van. It was tied with the Sienna, but after driving and extensively studying both, that is where I'm headed next. I wouldn't even consider the 4th gen Ody.
Why not? Just out of curiosity

·
Registered
118 Posts
Since Honda and Acura are now made in the states and with only few parts from Japan, I feel that quality has to suffer somewhere.
Your opinion is not based on fact. The quality of the American plants meets and often exceeds the quality of the Japanese plants from the reports that I have read.

It is amazing to me to see how many Americans think that their fellow Americans are committed to building junk. A consolation for those folks who think this way is knowing that if their job is ever outsourced oversees that at least they will know the company did the right thing.

The US continues to set the pace for the world on innovation and productivity. We remain the envy of much of the rest of the world and for good reason.

The comments related to quality going downhill are not based on fact either. The improvement in quality from all vehicle manufacturers over the last decade is dramatic. Review the numbers from JD Power and you will see continuous year over year improvements. What has changed is peoples expectations. They want their vehicle to be perfect and if it isn't they jump on the online forums to complain about it. If you read any car forum you would think the everything made today was a bunch of crap.

The comment the I remember most from an industry expert is "The worst car available today is built better than the best car was 10 years ago". Some cars may be better than others but the differences are much smaller than they have been in the past. It is quite common for vehicles to go past 200k with nothing more than regular maintenance. 20 years ago this would have been almost unheard of.

To answer the original question I would, without a doubt, buy the Odyssey again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll be testing out the 2011 R350 blue tec today. Honda may miss out on a sale here.

I would watch out on the Diesel Car. My previous Audi was a Diesel (TDI) and even though I had no problem finding Diesel stations, not all of them had the correct nozzle size that wold fit into the gas filler. Half of them I found had the larger nozzles that were too big. Having to worry about finding a gas station that carried diesel on trips on top of praying that they would have the correct size nozzle was a pain. Also, atleast here in NY, diesel prices fluctuated so much that at times they were maybe 10-20 cents higher than regular gas :rollingeyes:

Oh and I am actually getting to love my Ody. The more I drive it, the more convienient I find it as a family hauler. I was going to wait for the Quest, but after seeing how it was going to look.. forget that. So, yes, i would absolutely make the same choice and buy my Ody again.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Make sure you go see the Quest in person and stand behind the van and look at it... It is the largest mini van I have ever seen, almost the size of a yellow school bus. And guess what, you do not gain any interior space and not to mention the sliding doors do not open that wide. My wife drove both the Quest and the Ody and the Ody won.

It looks great from the front, and ok from the side but the rear end is ginormous. I am a huge fan of Nissans, have owned a 350Z, Pathfinder and I still have a 1990 300ZX, but they really messed up the rear of the Quest.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Ugh, I will never buy another Mercedes. Terrible overall experience with my ML350, both dealer wise and quality wise. I am a big fan of Audi but they have their problems to, but Mercedes is the most expensive car to service and maintain. The Germans make and design a great car to drive though.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My mother has a loaded ML350bluetech 2009 or 2010 model, not sure. It has a lot of torque, but I can't say I like the ride. Too stiff in my opinion, plus the runflat tires are a nightmare. She had 3 flats with it, and every time, she had to leave it at the dealer for a few days until they 'ordered' a tire that fits that rim. We also looked around at tire shops in the area, none had any in stock.

Regarding the R-class, my wife and I test drove one. I really didn't like it. I thought the price was completely un-resonable, the ride wasn't very quiet (espeically when considering the price) the rear doors swing further than a barn door and the trunk space is none existant with 3rd row up, and 3rd row isn't 'that' great either. Again, those huge swinging doors were pretty bad for loading up an infant in a parking lot.

Also, my mom's ML and the R class had this issue, the gas pedal travel was very weird to me. I felt like I had to move the pedal a lot for minor speed adjustments. I originaly noticed this in my Mom's ML, but it was the first diesel I drove, so I thought it was related to that, plus i thought maybe the turbo has some lag. But the R-class we test drove was a gas engine, and it still had the weird pedal feel.
In my opinion, you're better off with a Q7 than an R class.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts