Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still a newbie to this forum, as my "junior member" status indicates
, so I'd like to know how the factory order process works. It seems like 90% of you choose this way, since I'm always reading things like, "02 GG EXL due in two weeks" or, "We were told that our is shipping." or, "We just got a build date." etc.

I emailed a local dealer about placing an order, but she didn't acknowledge it--she just said that maybe she could do a dealer trade for what I wanted. Are there advantages to doing a factory order? If you could outline the process for me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would like to say up front that I do not consider myself an expert but I will tell you what I think to be the process. Honda does not work like most "American" automobile companies. A Honda dealership is given an allotment based on historical sales. The more they sell the larger their allotment. Sometime during the month, say Oct. 17th for example, they will get a fax/email from Honda stating what their allotment will be for the next month. It allocates X many Civics, X many Accords, X many Odysseys, etc. Within a few days the dealer can send the report back to Honda requesting changes to the allotment. For example, the allotment might have 3 EX Odysseys. One each in GG, RRP, and MB. He can request that they change the GG to an EX-L and add Navi and change the MB to EX-L with RES. He can not request any more than what’s on the report. Sometime before the end of October the dealer will receive a report from Honda saying that his changes were accepted and what the production dates will be for the units he has requested. According to my dealer he said that historically it is rare that he doesn’t get what he requests. However if a vehicle is in short supply, it is more common for your request to be denied. Once the unit is built the dealer gets notification that it has shipped and receives the VIN for the vehicle. I don’t know if they get any type of estimated delivery date or not. My dealer said it usually takes 10 days to arrive at the dealer. I live in central Missouri so I’m sure delivery times vary around the country. My RRP EX took exactly 10 days to get to the dealer. It shipped by rail to Kansas City in only 5 days, then sat in KC until it was trucked over from their. The dealer said that the trucking company holds them on their lot until they get a full load for their dealership or splits the load between two dealerships located close to one another.

In our area it is very rare for a dealer to have an Odyssey unsold on the lot. Normally you would go in and he might say that he has a GG EX with a build date on Nov 10th that’s not sold. I you want it you put down a deposit. If you want something else he might be able to swap with another dealer (fat change in central Missouri) or he can request the model you want in his next allotment if tyhe are not already spoken for. That’s what we did. We started looking in June 2001 and there was a GG EX available around the end of August. We decided to wait until the 2002's came out so we put down a $500 deposit and the dealer changed one of his allotments to the color/model that we wanted. Honda accepted the change and we took delivery on September 21st. Glad we waited.

Hope this helps. If anyone has a different understanding as to how it works, I would like to here it. It’s hard to find a dealer that wants to talk about it.

-John

[This message has been edited by SloopJohnB (edited 10-15-2001).]

·
Registered
234 Posts
Great description. It is exactly how I understand the process, and the timing is exactly what we experienced. We put a deposit down on June 18th 2001, and picked up our van on September 19th 2001.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts