Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow,

I have an 04 Odyssey with 104k on it, and I am getting ready to do the timing belt, etc...

I called the local dealer, just to check, and I was quoted $1300 to do the "A, B and E" services (I think thats what he said), so oil change, tire rotation, and maybe a drain/fill on the trans (I think), along with changing the timing belt and spark plugs, inspecting (and adjusting if needed) the valves. The also "inspect" the water pump...

$300 for a new water pump and drive belts.

$125 to replace the tensioner (if needed, parts only, no labor) Service advisor said it was rare to need replacing at 105k...

$700 (parts and labor) to replace the front and side motor mount, IF needed (I specifically asked)... parts guy said failure was common, but Service guy said not really.

They "may" be able to offer some discounts/coupons when I actually come in...

Wow, $2300+ if I need everything...

Sounds a little high to me, even for a dealer...

I think I am going to handle this myself. Its been a few years, but I have replaced many timing belts, etc.

Any suggestions of parts? OEM is nice, but pricey. I don't want to go the cheapest route, but mid-level... Especially on the Timing Belt and Pump...

Whats a good brand for belts? Goodyear, Beck/Arnley, Gates?

How about the Aisin water Pump?

For the motor mounts, I am just going to get some from Rock Auto... maybe a gamble, but worse case (I hope), is that I'll need to replace them again soon... dealer parts guy quoted me $176 for the front mount and $89 for the side, but said he could do better in person...

I have searched, and found alot of good info...

But not much about a "balance shaft belt"...

Thanks

·
Registered
355 Posts
You'll probably run half to 2/3s of that at an independent shop. If I remember correctly I spent about $800 parts and labor for the timing belt, water pump, and pulley changes, had the motor mounts replaced when the tranny went. For parts I'm a big fan of ordering from Bernardi Honda online. Factory parts but a much better prices, you dealer may even be able to match in person.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
2,032 Posts
$700 (parts and labor) to replace the front and side motor mount
Here's an example - the passenger-side mount has to be removed as part of the T-belt job. So the labor charge to put in a new one vs. putting the old one back in should be $0. An easy way to run up the bill is for them to charge you for every individual task, ignoring the fact that they're all part of one big job.

I paid $67 for my passenger-side mount in 2009.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Like mentioned by Greg, Bernardi Honda has great prices and has always been painless for me. Majestic Honda is another one with similar prices. I always compare the 2 places and seeing they give the p/n online I sometimes try Google to see if anyone has them cheaper. An example is the tensioner is $80 but you list $125. IMO, OEM is the only way to go for anything that deep into the engine. Don't skimp on the plugs either but you can buy those anywhere that sells NGKs.
Find Honda Parts and Honda Accessories by Car Model - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories
Honda Automotive Parts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since you are in N CA, you might want to check out H and A. They are in Citrus Heights. If you are close, you could even save on shipping. I swung by there a few weeks ago to pick up some of the TB parts and other things - just a side trip on the way to the Sacto airport.
Buy Honda Odyssey Accessories - Discount Genuine Honda Accessories
Their TB kit includes the water pump.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you need a water pump, go OEM or you'll be doing it again. In fact, IMO, if you are doing all the labour yourself, you can probably afford all OEM parts. Aftermarket warranty sucks because you still have to spend another weekend replacing parts you put on a month ago.
The hardest part is breaking the harmonic balancer bolt loose. Make sure you get a tool to hold the crank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since you are in N CA, you might want to check out H and A. They are in Citrus Heights. If you are close, you could even save on shipping. Their TB kit includes the water pump.
Thanks, that was an option, and I am leaning that way. H&A is about 20 minutes out-of-the-way between my work and home... I already planned on picking up a case of ATF...

There Timing Belt kit is $172, and includes the belt, water pump and AC/PS/Alt belts. And a few bottles of coolant and the spin-on transmission filter... I also want to get a dipstick o-ring...

Yeah, OEM is usually good quality, but still really high priced... I can find high-quality, name-brand parts (T. Belt, WP and drive belts) for close to $100. I won't touch the cheaper alternatives, but could still be around $65 with a "new" pump...

Anyway, for the plugs, I am going to get NGK Iridium. From what I read, Iridium is better than platinum, and since its not an OEM part, it saves some more... H&A want $14+ for each plug, I have found others for under $10 (same plug), but the iridium (and other platinums) down in the under $7 range...

Motor mounts, just going to get at a regular parts store... H&A doesn't have these, and the "regular" honda Parts department wants around $176 for the front mount... I can get that mount from Beck/Arnley for around $60+ ( If it fails prematurely, then maybe I'll step up next time, but the van will still be driveable...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I concede that I'm one of those devout "OEM-only" type of guys and in the past I would source all of my Odyssey parts from the dealership simply as a matter of convenience. I would be pressed for time and needed parts promptly so the dealership fulfilled this need. However, it's really not worth frequenting the dealership's part department unless you need a relatively inexpensive part such as an oil filter. For cheap parts like these, the savings you derive from purchasing them from a discounted parts site is not offset by the proportionally high shipping costs.

With that said, try pricing these parts from all of the prominent Honda parts sites out there. In my experience, Hondapartsnow.com usually offers the best balance between OEM parts selection and pricing.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I concede that I'm one of those devout "OEM-only" type of guys and in the past I would source all of my Odyssey parts from the dealership simply as a matter of convenience. I would be pressed for time and needed parts promptly so the dealership fulfilled this need. However, it's really not worth frequenting the dealership's part department unless you need a relatively inexpensive part such as an oil filter. For cheap parts like these, the savings you derive from purchasing them from a discounted parts site is not offset by the proportionally high shipping costs.

With that said, try pricing these parts from all of the prominent Honda parts sites out there. In my experience, Hondapartsnow.com usually offers the best balance between OEM parts selection and pricing.

Good luck! :)
I ended up getting the Genuine Honda Timing Belt/drive belts/water pump kit from H&A Accessories... They had a good price, and no shipping (but I do pay sales tax and have to drive over)... Its just a shame, that as for now, they (H&A) haven't got into the regular parts internet business... Just "accessories"...

Although, I might inquire about a few other parts, and see if they match or get close to those "internet" prices, if I am standing at their counter...

My "local" dealer parts guy said he can give me better pricing when I come in... The problem is, I like to compare prices, think about what I need, before I commit...

Thanks everyone...

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
My "local" dealer parts guy said he can give me better pricing when I come in... The problem is, I like to compare prices, think about what I need, before I commit...
This is what annoys me about the local dealerships. They try for a higher price and usually get it but will adjust some if you ask. Give me a better price right off and maybe I'll buy from them. Screw me over and I won't go back unless there's no other option.

I like the parts places I listed because delivery is quick, Bernardi is one small state over from me.

Read all the tips before you start the TB replacement. The starter bump trick worked great for me, my impact wrench wouldn't budge it. The noise it makes is a bit disconcerting. The other tip worth mentioning is marking the old belt and each pulley, then transferring the marks to the new for simplistic lining up. I used liquid whiteout.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts