Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I found a solid write-up documenting the evaporator core replacement job that I'd like to share with you folks. Typically, any major mechanical jobs involving the air conditioning or heater system is recommended to be left in the hands of professionals, but this guide may be handy for those particularly crafty DIYers on the forum :coolio:

1) Recover the refrigerant with a recovery/recycling/charging station.

2) Disconnect the suction line (A) and receiver line (B) from the evaporator. Remove the mounting nut.

Note: Plug or cap the lines immediately after disconnecting them to avoid moisture and dust contamination.

3) Remove the glove box. Remove the plastic cross brace, then remove the glove box frame.

4) Remove the wire harness connectors (A). Disconnect the evaporator temperature sensor connector (B). Remove the self-tapping screws, the mounting nuts, the mounting bolts, the bracket (C), and the evaporator (D).

**Shown here: Remove the wire harness connectors (A), disconnect the evaporator temperature sensor connector (B), remove the self-tapping screws, mounting nuts and bolts, and the bracket (C), and the evaporator assembly (D)**

5) Remove the filter lid (A), then pull out the dust and pollen filter (B).

6) Pull out the evaporator temperature sensor (C) from the evaporator fins.

7) Remove the screws, carefully separate the upper housing (D) from the lower housing (E), then remove the evaporator core (F).

8) If necessary, remove the expansion valve (G).

**Shown here: Evaporator core and its encompassing components (i.e. expansion valve)**

-Installation-

1) Reassemble the evaporator in the reverse order of disassembly and removal and note these items.
  • If installing a new evaporator, add refrigerant oil (DENSO ND-OIL 8).
  • Replace the O-rings with new ones at each fitting, and apply a thin coat of refrigerant oil before installing them. Be sure to use the correct O-rings for HFC-134a (R-134a) to avoid leakage.
  • Immediately after using oil, reinstall the cap on the container, and seal it to avoid moisture absorption.
  • Make sure that there is no air leakage.
  • Evacuator and recharge the system.

--Additional diagrams--

*diagram courtesy of hondapartsnow.com; all rights reserved

·
Registered
143 Posts
For those of you having problems removing the evaporator like I did, there is a nut on the engine side of the firewall next to the lines. I missed that step and was having problems removing the evaporator. Once the nut was removed the evaporator slid right out.

2) Disconnect the suction line (A) and receiver line (B) from the evaporator. Remove the mounting nut.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank for the post and helpful comment by [mrstop]

Thank you so much for this post. It really helped me today to this. And thank you [mrstop] user for your comment to unscrew a nut on the engine side of the firewall next to the lines in order to release the evaporator box. I struggled to pull it out until came back to computer, scrolled down and read your comment.

I found images for the first two steps in the write up. I attached them to this comment.

Again thanks a LOT.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts