Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
You mean quarters inside the CD slot? Why don't you remove the stereo out and try to take those quarters out with tweezer or you can take it to a repair shop and ask them to remove the quarters for you. Then, if the stereo doesn't work afterward, bring it to the dealer since it is still under warranty.

If you really want to replace the unit, I'd recommend an aftermarket one unless you also have the cassette player and/or CD changer.

-Harry

·
Registered
139 Posts
Now you have a great excuse to replace that crappy head unit. I took Harry's advice and installed an aftermarket unit (a Pioneer CD with 22 watts RMS X 4). A QUANTAM leap in sound quality! I had tried several brands of speakers with only marginal improvement prior to that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys, but the boss drives the car (my wife) and would prefer the stock system that is simple to use, sounds fine for her, and works with the steering wheel mounted remote.

None of the aftermarkets will work with that remote, will they?

Tony

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't believe anyone has gotten a different head unit to work with the steering wheel controls...but why didn't you respond to Harry's advice to get the quarters out w/ some tweezers & bring it back under warranty if it still doesn't work?

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 06-22-2001).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bringing it back under warranty is for factory defects... this was caused by my son.

Thanks for the info on the remote. I'm actually suprised that no one has a old unit they want to sell.

Tony

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dlh2:
I took Harry's advice and installed an aftermarket unit (a Pioneer CD with 22 watts RMS X 4). </font>
so does that mean you have the old factory unit sitting around collecting dust?

·
Registered
585 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tgambee:
bringing it back under warranty is for factory defects... this was caused by my son.</font>
I don't want to sound like a dishonest person; but I dropped my cell phone and as a result it stopped working. I took it into my local SprintPCS office, and they simply replaced it; no questions asked or anything...they didn't even look up my records to see if I was under a year on the phone.

I guess all I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt to bring it to your dealer and have them take a look. If they ask, you can tell them you think some quarters got lodged in it and they may or may not go ahead & replace it anyway.

You got nothing to lose that I can see under this scenario...or have you already tried this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Actually, with the help of Harry (hgani), we were able to get my SONY headunit to work with my steering wheel controls.</font>
that is the same model MD player I have and been thinking about installing... if you could give me the info on how you did it, that would be great... or maybe Harry has the details

·
Registered
139 Posts
Originally posted by tgambee:
so does that mean you have the old factory unit sitting around collecting dust?

Yes, but I'm going to hang onto it and stick it back in when I trade vehicles.

·
Registered
276 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tgambee:
bringing it back under warranty is for factory defects... this was caused by my son.

Tony
</font>
The warranty covers things that stop working during the covered period, dealer doesn't care who or what caused it as long as you don't tell them. They will simply pass along the cost of replacement back to Honda.

-Harry

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I convinced my wife to let me put a Sony MD (CDX7900) deck. I had one here from a car I just sold. I told her that we could use that for the price of a wiring harness, and add a cd changer for under $200.

(insert silver lining cliche here)

so now I'm most interested in getting the existing remote on the steering wheel to interface with the CDX7900... I'm looking at you - hgani.

Any and all input hailed as fabulous!

Tony

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nestor(Nemogira) posted a nice picture of his modified steering wheel control in the other thread, it will give you a good idea on what needs to be done.
You need to realize that the modification requires minimal soldering skill and will void the warranty on that steering wheel control, obviously.
I don't own a Sony headunit that uses wired remote so I don't know how it is connected to the steering wheel remote, you'll need to ask Nestor about that portion.

-Harry

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it's done...

I picked up a harness at Best Buy last night and installed my Sony MDX-C7900 MD Head unit. no problem execpt that the tray under the radio connecting to the new head was difficult. and the wiring harness ends up big and messy and falls behind the cup holder so when you are pushing the cup holder back in, it sticks (nothing a little black tape won't fix)

anyways, I'm very interested in Nemogira's steering wheel remote integration with this unit.

Nestor, I humbly request a semi-detailed list of steps.

Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
great, thanks, I'm sure I'll do the mod, I went to use that little remote about 20 times this weekend forgetting it wasn't available anymore. Thanks for the effort. I've been inspired by you and the others on the board here to consider a few more tweaks also.

Tony

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
I don't believe anyone has gotten a different head unit to work with the steering wheel controls...but why didn't you respond to Harry's advice to get the quarters out w/ some tweezers & bring it back under warranty if it still doesn't work?

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 06-22-2001).]
</font>
If your radio has a wireless remote control, this will interface any steering wheel from an Acura or Honda to work with any function of the remote. If you have 3 buttons on your steering wheel, you can pick which 3 buttons on your wireless remote each button controls.

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront/EN/Product/PACSWI&2D3

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate the input, and I did see your comments about this in another thread, but the remote on thise unit is hard-wired.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts