Honda Odyssey Forum banner

WTH is this?

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  RolHammer 
#1 · (Edited)
WTH is this? answer: external transmission filter

I bought 03 odyssey ex for my wife a month ago. We wanted to buy a van but didn't want any payments so we looked around and compared used mini-vans. She was pleased with it's design and that sums it up what to buy. Despite the odyssey's trany problem, I wanted to make her happy. The van drives fine without any codes except occational shudder around let's say '30'mph staddy driving speed.

so,

I decided to do some preventative maintainance myself.

i'm gonna install B&M 70268 transmission cooler along with magnifine filter.
I also found that there is an external filter on the transmission which has replacement interval of every 100K.
price on that son of a gun was around $45 with shipping.

So, I checked around online to see if there is an aftermarket filter for it.

here is what I found.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=Honda5Filters

almost at the bottom of the page, part# A30013

heck, $17 per pop + shipping, sounds promissing.

I'm gonna go for it.

what got me wondered is the part right under neath that one.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/m...A&Category_Code=Honda5Filters&Product_Count=5

WTH is this?

oh, one more question, since I am going to install magnafine filter, replacing this external filter could be an over kill?

thx in advance.

this is my first post but I have been reading this forum for more than a month and I only post if I can't find it searching.

P/S.
for those searching for part numbers and for those who are searching for part #

Honda OEM part number
25450-p7w-003

the after market I found was made by ' Transtar Industries '
and their part number
a30013

See less See more
#2 ·
To me it sounds more like you need to do the EGR cleaning. It feels kinda like a slight surge when traveling around 40ish with the engine running at very low RPM's. There's a few posts on here about it, pretty simple & common fix.

Adding a tranny cooler is always a good idea.

#3 ·
yup

thx for your post on this issue. I have read few post about that and also saw a video clip on youtube how to do it. it seemed pretty simple. I will do that as well. I am a lazy person so I am planing to do all together at once.

change struts and shocks.
installing trans cooler and magafine filter.
turning rotors and installin new pads.
motor mount repair or replace.
clock light bulb replacement
egr hole cleanup.
etc.

but that is not my question.

my question is,,,,

that second pic.

what the hell on earth is it?

i am guessing it's a replacement part for external transmission filter. In other words, It could be the guts of external trany filter. If that is the case, We just might have found $5 replacement filter vs. $45 OEM.

#4 ·
Originally posted by oatnut So, I checked around online to see if there is an aftermarket filter for it.

here is what I found.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=Honda5Filters

almost at the bottom of the page, part# A30013

heck, $17 per pop + shipping, sounds promissing.

I'm gonna go for it.

<snip>

P/S.
for those searching for part numbers and for those who are searching for part #

Honda OEM part number
25450-p7w-003

the after market I found was made by ' Transtar Industries '
and their part number
a30013 [/B]
I'd spotted that and have one on its way as we speak, actually.

I confirmed (or at least thought I'd confirmed) A30013 isn't just equivalent to 25450-P7W-003, it actually is 25450-P7W-003. I was planning on posting on that when it arrived (oatnut, ya thunder-stealer :mad: ).

:p

I thought the same thing as you. I was ordering a Tru-Cool ATF cooler and Magnefine anyway & spotted the A30013. Thought 'What the hey - why not? It's only $17.' and added it to my cart.

I'll post back with my results. It'd be cool if you did the same, oatnut.

And: oh yeah - I'd spotted that other filter you linked to and went :confused: too. My thought was that perhaps the 3rd Gen's had different type of filter...

#5 ·
right on

man, that's cool.

OEM price on this el cheapo filter was crazy.

I'm gonna get me one myself.

so with 03 odyssey tranny oil is going through

radiator --> trans cooler --> magnafine --> oem honda filter

before it goes back in to tranny.

because according to discription and it's layout on manual,
it is hooked up to return line.

#7 · (Edited)
Hey oatnut, check out the post by Jackson on p9 of this thread.

Item 7 in the schematic is the filter you were asking about. As suspected, what you're asking is indeed the ATF filter on the '05.

BTW, I got my shipment of stuff from Makco Distributing. Included is two of A30013. In mathproshs' thread linked to above, the various pics of the OEM Honda filter are identical to this one, right down to the color of the filter media inside. Dunno if that means anything but we'll find out.

One thing that doesn't appear to be included is the gasket that some posters have mentioned comes with the OEM kit. Dunno how important that is, as some posters have mentioned using the old gasket with no ill effects. In another thread there was mention of where to buy just the gasket itself. Can't find it just now, but it's there.

Anyhoos, I'm gonna tuck into this next week hopefully and see what's what.

Hopefully if these $17 filters pan out it might be something others might be interested in.

(The Tru-Cool ATF cooler and Magnefine came in the package too. They'll be going in during that same session too. ):cool:

Edit: Found it! PN for the o-ring is 91301-P7W-003. It inserts into the bolt-shaped end of your ATF filter. Suggestions from the thread above are that you can use the old one as long as you inspect it for cracks or tears & is clean. Lube it with a few drops of fresh ATF to make sure it slides into the smooth bore of the ATF filter's bolt-shaped end.

HTH!

#8 ·
sounds good.

hey, Rolhammer.
I got mine just the other day. I am planning to install all my crap this weekend or so. how's your project going?
i am going to use my old O'ring ofcourse. I re-use most of that o'ring stuffs on my cars and never had any problems.

oh, boy. under texas heat, I'll be working on my ody all day.

#9 ·
Just got my stuff in the mail day before yesterday. Ordered a couple of new o-rings from the local dealership. They're $3.26 (or something like that) each. Should arrive today or tomorrow. I'll have to wait until the weather clears before I can tuck into it though - we had several inches of rain over the last couple of days. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.