Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my ss '01 EX 6/13. since my pal's Ody hitch mount rack bottoms out a lot (too low!!), I am thinking of using my fork mount bike trays on top, along with a folding neat step gizmo (http://www.a1-autoracks.com/sproof2.html) that hitches onto the tire to help you reach the racks.
Anybody using a particular bar width of 66 or 78"? Yakima web site doesn't list width for Ody.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here's a recommendation for the Odyssey which I got off the Edmunds Forum. I'm using the Thule 751 and it works fine, but as mentioned below I would try put bikes on the back for convenience. I use the top only for a luggage carrier.

Scott

-------------------------------------------
Edit requested by Edmunds.com
Admin
-------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by Admin (edited 07-03-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
yankeeblues - the Yakima site doesn't list the 01 Ody but it does the 00. They suggest 48" bars for the 00. I plan to eventually get the doublecross towers to attach the 48" bars I already have to my 00.

As for bigger bars, Yakima (and Thule I presume) always suggests bars that will not extend beyond the body - liability I presume. You know, you could take an eye out with that thing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info - 48" seems too darn narrow for a van this wide - I have tw ultralight cedar strip canoes to carry when I don't take the bikes. But I will do some more checking. I don't like the (lowwwwww) hight of the Ody hitch - my buddy's bottoms out with NOTHING attached sometimes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yankeeblues:
I have tw ultralight cedar strip canoes to carry when I don't take the bikes. But I will do some more checking.[/B]</font>
Yakeeblues, have you carried your canoes yet? Where do you attach your bow lines to the Ody while hauling the canoes?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
amorlan: Sorry for the delay-just noticed your post. I have not carried the canoes yet but I will tell you this: I use Thule or Yakima "quick Straps" that have tension locking buckles on them - they never loosen up -for the top straps.This means that I usually only use a loose line to the fr bumper as an emergency strap - no tension!
I also think I remember Yakima offering a newfangled strap that might be padded to eliminate scratching the ODY nose. When I take a short trip with the quick straps- I don't even bother with the front strap - maybe just a bungie from the canoe thwart to the front crossbar (Yakima Lockjaws I think) not those wimpy Honda pieces. Hope this helps and happy paddlin'
Yankeeblues

·
Registered
5 Posts
48" works just Fine, I had them on my Nissan Quest and they work fine on the Ody !

Jim

------------------
Jim (2001 Ody') Kenwood KFC-XR60P front speakers, Boston FX4 4", pioneer powered sub ! (orig radio with CD)

Go Oregon State Beavers Football !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts