Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing permanent Yakima racks on my new 2001 LX. The factory rack with yakima doublecross racks bolted on that is an expensive option with only marginal performance. Instead I used the railrider1 towers and 54 inch tracks that are bolted to the roof. Only downfall is drilling 14 holes in the roof of my brand new odyssey. but Yakima sent me a hole placement sheet for the '99 that seemed to work fine. You don't have to remove the header because they have these nifty expansion bolts the anchor from the top. After the tracks are installed you put the railrider towers in and those are removable, so you can remove the towers and your odyssey won't look like it has racks at all because the tracks are only about 1/2 inch tall.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you can post some photos and any tips, I'm pretty sure that there are people here interested.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
215 Posts
Would the rails use existing holes-such as those that hold the factory rails on the EX?

What was the biggest expense consideration-the cost of Honda factory rail system and Yakima towers, crossbars etc.vs the complete Yakima setup?

Thanks
Al

·
Registered
564 Posts
On an LX, going the route of the rails is probably your best bet. But if you have an EX, with the roof rails already installed, you'll save quite a bit of money and hassle by using Double-cross towers. I'm not sure what you mean by "marginal performance" with the Double-cross. They are a very stable, secure way to put cross-bars on factory roof rails, and they can be positioned anywhere, just like with RailRiders. They are actually more firmly connected than the RailRiders which have some built-in play. Plus, to remove the RailRider's little sliding connector deals is a bit of a hassle, so must people leave the little bumpies up there, leaving an obscured roof profile.

Again, your route is probably the best for the LX, but may not be the best for the EX.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If the EX rack is installed the same way as the roof rack for a CRV, there are no holes through the roof, the kit comes with a clip that catches into the groove in the roof (the one that is exposed after the rubber strip is removed) instructions for this install saids to remove the rubber strips, measure cut the strip in sections, drop in the clips, screw in rails and replace the rubber sections.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts