Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to Share my latest additions to our 2013 Odyssey.

-Yakima ShowCase 20 Cargo Box
-Yakima Whispbar Crossbars Model S56
-OEM Honda Rails Color Matched Alabaster Silver Metalic

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ran across your odyssey when looking at amazon reviews for yakima boxes, and had remembered seeing it on the forums here. You have really done an amazing transformation. I love all the details like the painted rails, spoiler and lip. Please keep sharing your updates, you have given this silver ody owner a lot to aspire to!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Where did you get the color matched rails? I've been going back and forth about getting some. I REALLY like the look of those and our Odyssey is silver as well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Where did you get the color matched rails? I've been going back and forth about getting some. I REALLY like the look of those and our Odyssey is silver as well.
Those are OEM rails he painted. He painted to rear spoiler, roof rack, mud flaps, and custom made front spoiler.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments everyone. I guess automotive paint and bodywork experience has advantages. Definitely comes in handy! I envisioned all the modifications when we bought the Odyssey EX-L back in December 2012. I tried to go for an "OEM" sporty look but not too over the top. I'm pretty much done modifying it! At least my wife says I am..... I sometimes forget that it's hers...lol. I tried to get her into an SUV but we met in the middle and the wife let me put some personal touches to it.

As for the roof rack and box... I have definitely packed it to the max a few times already with no major issues. I packed about 120 lbs worth of gear into it (the box alone weighs 60lbs) so 180 lbs total and have done several road trips totaling 3000 miles. It's a pretty solid set up. I have checked all the mounting point bolts including the crossbars during and after each road trip and they have not losened up any.

if you look very closely at the OEM side rails, I have removed the center mounts (I don't recommend anyone do this unless you have the means to reinforce your mounts and rails) I discovered that the mounts are plastic with impregnated steel only at the mounting bolts and the rails are aluminum and are only attached to the end mounts with machine screws.... lol, I had to heavily reinforce the rails internally and externally as the center mount provides the structural rigidity of the rail. In addition I tied the mounts to the side rails and roof with plate steel while keeping the OEM look. No one would notice the re-inforcements unless I pointed them out. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

note, if you put a roof rack on your odyssey, put some clear film or clear bra material under each mount, your paint will wear away within a few years guaranteed!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would really like some pictures of how you reinforced the mounts. I have a set of oem rails i am about to install with an extended yakima megawarrior cargo carrier i plan to mount on it. Any more reinforcement i can do would be extra peace of mind.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heybrooksto, sorry for the late reply. Here are the details.... I don't havevery many pictures of the process, but i'll post up what I have of the finishedproduct. Just PM me if you have furtherquestions

These are the tools and parts that I used to perform the reinforcement,you may need to improvise if you don’t have all the tools. There are many ways to skin a cat, this wasmy way…

-Plasma cutter to cut metal (you can use a grinder with cutoff wheels, doesn’tsound like fun though)
-Drill Press and Bits (the steel is pretty hard so this is a must, do notattempt with hand drill, ask me how I know)
-Rivet gun and 1 inch length blind rivets (I forget the size) ¼ inch?
-Rivet nut inserts and bolts optional ( I forget the size ) ¼ inch? Or 8 mm?
-two 6ft 1"x1" steel box tubing
-16g stainless steel sheet
-pipe bender (You can use your hands and feet to do this)

-Tap/Die Set (to thread inner side of foot hole

Having all of the above tools and parts already on hand made this aneasy and cheap 2 hour project. I estimate the consumable parts would costabout $75-$100

Steps

1. Remove sheet metal screws that attach the roof rails to each end footand then separate the feet from rails.

2. Cut steel box tubing to the length of each rail, minus the lengthrequired to still be able to insert the feet. This is important that the length of the tubing inside the rails fitsperfect between the feet. So measuretwice and cut once! Bending the tubingwill change your length so, it’s better to cut less than more. The feet will essentially sandwich the tubinginside the rail.

3. Bend the steel tubing to the contours of the rails. Be sure to followthe bottom curvature of the side rails, this is important. This will ensure you drill your holesaccurately.

4. Insert box steel tubing into the rails. This is going to be a tight squeeze,so use some grease to make it easier.

5. Do a test fit off the feet to make sure it is sandwiched and the feetare able to be fully seated. Your tubingshoud be flush against the inner side of the rail.

6. Cutsheet metal to the shape of the rail including the feet. This will be placed on the outside of theinner side of the rail. Essentially, thesheet metal on the outside and tubing on the inside will sandwich the side railcreating a super strong rail. The sheetmetal on the outside will tie the feet to the rail providing
7. Onceinner box tubing and outer sheet metal are positioned, you will then drill theinner side to install, rivets and rivet nuts. This is why a drill press is a must!
8. Thehole that is used to screw the foot cover to each foot is then tapped/threadedto fit a bolt through.
9. Install roof rack.
Totest the strength of this mod, I placed a sheet of plywood on top and stood onthe top of my roof and jumped up and down, with very minor flexing of therails. I weigh 180 pounds! I have gone on several long road trips 1000 +miles without any fear that my overloaded roof rack would fail. The max I have loaded my cargo box is 200lbs. So with my cargo box weighing 65lbs. That exceeds the roof rack ratingof 150 lbs. by a lot!
Besure to put some clear bra plastic under each foot to protect your paint fromwearing through.
EasierSaid than done! PM me with questions as alot of detail has been left out. I’m ona road trip now, so, will check this site daily.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Man, I REALLY like how your box turned out. I bought the same parts except I got a Skybox 18. It has thicker attach clamps than the Showcase 20. There is hardly any clearance between the bottom of the attach clamps and the actual roof. In some points it makes contact. Worried about damaging the roof.

Any suggestions besides putting felt on the bottom?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man, I REALLY like how your box turned out. I bought the same parts except I got a Skybox 18. It has thicker attach clamps than the Showcase 20. There is hardly any clearance between the bottom of the attach clamps and the actual roof. In some points it makes contact. Worried about damaging the roof.

Any suggestions besides putting felt on the bottom?
I too have minimal clearance under my attachment clamps. I use two sets of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Slip-Mini-Factory-Universal-Dashboard-Sunglasses/dp/B075Q7J68J

They are really thick and provide plenty of padding during road trips.

They stick to the roof but are easily removed when not in use. I put one pad under each mounting point directly on the roof. I’ve done five long trips with no dents or damage to the paint on the roof. I remove them when not in use and store them in a ziplock bags. The sticky surface can be washed with soap and water if they get dirty and stick just like new when cleaned.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts