Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started into swapping my wife's 01 oddy to a 6spd from an accord on Jan 1 2020. Picked up a trans yesterday for it and hoping today the engine and auto trans will be out. The goal is to have it done in a month. I'll keep posting updates

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Man, you are dedicated.

To get that "6 speed love", I think we are steering towards getting a 2014-2017 plain Jane Odyssey.

OF

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subframe is out and engine is hanging on chains. One of my brothers came over yesterday and spent an hour disconnecting all the ps lines from the subframe. We left it in so I would have a fast start today. Got it out in 45 min by myself. Dat boi is heavy lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine is on the ground. Don't have a way to get it out from under tonight my Jack stands are maxed out and i don't have enough chain to use the cherry picker to lift the front of the van up. Plus I'm cold and I have new camera gear at home I wanna play with. So calling it quits for the night.

PSA ziptie a 4' led shop light to your cherry picker for nice light

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engine is out from under the van and almost separated from the trans. Lifted the van with the cherry picker and slid the engine/trans out on the creeper. If you need to lift the van up really high bolt the chain to the subframe mounts and lift through the engine bay.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I hate to be a downer, but I think you will hate that non-LSD trans. I manual swapped our 2000 a few years ago. The LSD in the CL and TL transmissions is pretty awesome. It goes through the snow like a tank. My buddy had an Accord with the non-lsd trans and it was almost undrivable in wet conditions. Add another 1200 lbs and I imagine it would be even worse.

What ECU are you planning on using?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey jonnyboy1313
Planning on using the stock ecu. I'm using the original engine. Trying to keep it as some as I can. If the lack of lsd turns out to be an issue I'll swap it out for a cl/TL. But at this point my wife needs her van back for her business.
I read your build thread last month, and that's what gave me the confidence to pull the trigger on this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been fighting the crank bolt for a minute now and figured out how to get it out. 1/2 ratchet and top half of jack handle on crank bolt. Breaker bar and bottom of jack handle through intake manifold. Chest on breaker bar and pull up. Also stick a ratchet extension through the pressure plate to prevent crank rotation

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the Aisin water pump on and the timing belt kit. Didn't do the tensioner. It seemed fine. I think I'm ready to start reassembly.

·
Registered
498 Posts
not to sound like a butthead but you were supposed to use a tool that looks like this

Been fighting the crank bolt for a minute now and figured out how to get it out. 1/2 ratchet and top half of jack handle on crank bolt. Breaker bar and bottom of jack handle through intake manifold. Chest on breaker bar and pull up. Also stick a ratchet extension through the pressure plate to prevent crank rotation

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Does it make any kind of sense to not do the TB tensioer while you are right there? $60 on Rock Auto for the Aisin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does it make any kind of sense to not do the TB tensioer while you are right there? $60 on Rock Auto for the Aisin.
I could have. But nah. This engine probably won't be in here more than a year or two. I'm gonna rebuild a lower miles engine and find a tl trans. Get all the bugs worked out on this engine/trans and then the new ones should should be a drop'n'swap. Weekend project type of thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Clutch is installed, and 6spd is bolted to the engine. Tommorkw night hopefully I'll get it back in the van and have it rolling out of the shop by next Sunday. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
498 Posts
Clutch is installed, and 6spd is bolted to the engine. Tommorkw night hopefully I'll get it back in the van and have it rolling out of the shop by next Sunday. Fingers crossed

so how's it running? any videos?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts