Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am on my 3rd Ody. Blizzard is a 2012 Touring in White Diamond Pearl and looks beyond fantastic. However, 5 weeks off the assembly line in Alabama and the non-metal pearl parts of the van, ie the plastic front and rear bumpers are yellowing and darkening while the body is unchanged. I've looked at it frequently and in various lighting situations. I'm not imagining it. Its very obvious. Does anyone else have this issue? Ever heard of it? I talked with our dealer service manager by phone today. He looked at another WDP on the lot and says he can see the color difference on it. I'm taking mine in to see him next week at his request and also to show him the wind noise issue on the driver's side. Maybe I'm crazy, but for $40000 I shouldn't have a bicolored van IMO. Any ideas or experiences?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't think it actually turned yellow on you, alot of pearls look different on plastic bumpers vs. metal fenders/hood. I notice this on other cars as well (non-Honda) with pearl white paint.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I believe is normal for light colors, but especially for the white ones as mentioned above. I've also seen something similar on several Hondas and Acuras, and other brands for that matter. A quick search on Autotrader shows some pearl white vans with pictures and I see some differences on plastic vs metal (see top of the list):

Find Your Car: Honda Odyssey Listings AutoTrader.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Because it is a pearl color, it is possible that the paint won't match EXACTLY...not sure that it should be that noticeable but chances are, the metal parts/panels aren't painted in the same spot as the plastics. Also, as seen above several times, the different materials could be at fault. Could you post pics possibly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a WDP Touring two weeks ago and have noticed the same mis-match of colors. Both the front and rear bumpers are darker/more yellow than the metal painted van. At first I thought it a trick of light but today in the bright sun the difference is obviously something more.

I agree with the speculation that the bumpers and main vehicle are almost certainly painted separately and this makes them prone not to match. Bumpers use a different formulation of paint that have elasticity and I wonder if that causes the yellow tint. I'll be closely looking at other White Pearl vehicles to see if they also suffer from this. For those that already have one this is just an academic question at this point.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I accepted it before I bought the car.

I looked at white diamond pearl vans at several dealerships over several months. They ALL had this issue.

If you notice, the bottom side trim (ground effects?), front and rear bumpers, and door handles are all that same darker color. Touch up paint might be that darker color too. The top coat makes the touch up paint much darker than the paint on metal (yes, a week old and I got a scratch on it grrrr).

I added the body side moldings to have more of that darker color throughout the car. Now, I just tell myself it's a two-toned car. Kinda like Eddie Bauer edition Fords.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm living with it. I had another Pearl White car and the repainted front bumper chipped from flying highway stones very easy vs the factory oven baked original.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, caboose. Beating this here dead horse, but I am not sure it's yellowing either. Pearls are notorious for metamerism (changing color in various light situations and angles of incidence). The metal and plastic substrates will have different primers and paint formulations which will cause a difference in appearance as well. If it's any consolation, the color and metallic effect look different between the rear bumper and quarter panel at dusk on our Crystal Black Ody.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My mocha metallic also has different color bumper and body panels. Noticed it the day I picked up the van. Even the sales guy commented on the poor paint of Honda nowadays!

I did not push for a repaint since I know repainting bumpers can be prone to peeling later. And there is also no guarantee the repainted pieces will match!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am going to bump this thread.

Anyone else actually complain to Honda for such a poor paint matching job? The paint on plastic is different, therefore there will be "little bit" of mis-match, however, it is not the case.

It is the job of Honda to accept or reject based on how the paint color matches, and based on what I've seen, they must be just relying on the spec/printout from the color reading, rather than a QA person actually checking to make sure colors are matching close enough.

I am sure Pearl White is worst of the offenders, but how about other colors that doesn't match? Did you do anything?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I am going to bump this thread.

Anyone else actually complain to Honda for such a poor paint matching job? The paint on plastic is different, therefore there will be "little bit" of mis-match, however, it is not the case.

It is the job of Honda to accept or reject based on how the paint color matches, and based on what I've seen, they must be just relying on the spec/printout from the color reading, rather than a QA person actually checking to make sure colors are matching close enough.

I am sure Pearl White is worst of the offenders, but how about other colors that doesn't match? Did you do anything?
Check the other threads in earlier posts, it's not a Honda specific issue

·
Registered
250 Posts
Check the other threads in earlier posts, it's not a Honda specific issue

I've read it. That's why I was asking if anyone actually made a formal complain to Honda. I am thinking that Honda could do a better job, however, I just want to know if anyone actually got something from Honda, like offer to pay for repaint of the bumper for better color matching.

Color can be matched better, as some are not experiencing this mis color match issue with their DPW color.

Am I just asking too much here? Should i just accept it and move on? Man...decisions decisions decisions.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't think I'd consider this an "issue"... it's pretty much normal across all brands of vehicles for painted plastic to not quite match exactly with painted metal. Usually the lighter the color and the more reflective the color, the more obvious it is... so it's no surprise that you're noticing it the most with white diamond pearl. If mismatching bothers you, that was probably a bad color to get because it's also basically impossible to get a perfect match if you ever get part of your car repainted from an accident or scratch or whatever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow ... Wow...

I can not believe the responses here. Just accept it? Everyone has a problem? Bull ****nik.

I am looking at a Honda odyssey purely off reputation, crash test, etc. my Lexus rx is a pearl white and perfect. My Lexus sc is also a pearl white and perfect. I thought this thread was crazy so I stopped by my local Honda dealer to look at a pearl white odyssey, or should I say pearl yellow. Since a huge portion of it is plastic a huge portion was no where close to matching.

This is not a paint problem. This is a Honda not caring enough to make it match problem.

I will probably still get a Honda van just because of the crash ratings ... But I do not expect a 200,000 mile beast of the past.

Cobey

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Wow ... Wow...

I can not believe the responses here. Just accept it? Everyone has a problem? Bull ****nik.

I am looking at a Honda odyssey purely off reputation, crash test, etc. my Lexus rx is a pearl white and perfect. My Lexus sc is also a pearl white and perfect. I thought this thread was crazy so I stopped by my local Honda dealer to look at a pearl white odyssey, or should I say pearl yellow. Since a huge portion of it is plastic a huge portion was no where close to matching.

This is not a paint problem. This is a Honda not caring enough to make it match problem.

I will probably still get a Honda van just because of the crash ratings ... But I do not expect a 200,000 mile beast of the past.

Cobey
Glad to hear somebody is certifying that the Lexii don't have paint issues, like paint peeling/flaking bumpers or color bumper mismatching like the Lexus below, its matching looks flawless ;)

Anyway, just visually inspect your Honda purchase before dumping $40k+ for it, paint "matching" issues are a tough thing to argue with any dealer after purchasing. They may offer repainting, but chances are it won't get any better

·
Registered
250 Posts
Glad to hear somebody is certifying that the Lexii don't have paint issues, like paint peeling/flaking bumpers or color bumper mismatching like the Lexus below, its matching looks flawless ;)

Anyway, just visually inspect your Honda purchase before dumping $40k+ for it, paint "matching" issues are a tough thing to argue with any dealer after purchasing. They may offer repainting, but chances are it won't get any better
I think people who have paint mismatch issues should take it up with HONDA first, not dealership. They will not pay to repaint, unless HONDA pays for the repaint.

I am glad that Cobey said what he said. We shouldn't just accept the lower quality workmanship from Honda. If they wanted the paint to match better, they would forced their supplier to match the paint. Yes, the plastic paint vs metal will reflect different, therefore you have to know what you are doing to make sure paint will match closer. You can't use the same paint color to paint both the body and bumper, expecting 2 different materials to match in color. It wouldn't. You just have to work with the supplier to make sure color does match better.

I've looked at my neighbor's Mercedes...pearly white color. Yes, it does have bit of mis-match, but not as bad as ours...we actually put the car side by side to see if Honda was worse or better. Well, it was worse. So, I know paint matching can be done.

We are not arguing that there isn't a problem. Some cars has more of a matching issue than others. I picked up my vehicle after sun was long gone, so there was no way to see the problem. Just noticed it coupel of days after. Just asking people to start calling honda to register their disatisfaction and demand a fix...even if it is a new paint job. If we just accept it as is, then Honda will think there are no issues out there.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I had a Pearl White Lexus that I had to have the front bumper repainted (at the dealer). Highway pebbles around town literally sandblasted the finish and chipped it much worse than the factory baked on finish. It was a car driven by my wife at 65 mph commuting vs me at 75 mph on the interstate all day long. I'll put up with a little deviation (really don't notice it now) rather then a respray on the front. As I approach 50,000 miles the "rubber" bumper and headlight are showing a lot of "blasting" damage. I do have clear protection on the painted surfaces.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts