Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 02 Oddy in May with 240k miles on it. Since I drive a lot for work (I've got 11k miles on it already), I wasn't turned off by the miles.

On Friday of last week, I noticed that when I first start the engine, the Check Engine light flashes 10 times, then shuts off.

I swung by my favorite local mechanic and one of his employees put their scanner on the car and came back with a message of "Transmission Control Unit" (or something like that) message. He said that means I need a new transmission.

He gave me a quote for $3300 for a Honda tranny installed. I asked to speak to the owner just to verify everything, and he was out. So, I went back on Monday to talk to the owner, and they re-ran the test, and this time, no code was thrown. However, the light still flashes 10 times when I start the engine.

The owner re-verified that they could install a Honda tranny for $3300.

So, here's my questions...

Is that a good deal for a Honda tranny?

Is there a better one I should get with the miles that I drive (2k ish a month)?

And, since it threw the message once, but it's not throwing it now, what's the deal there?

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

-Donovan
Boise, Idaho

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
To confirm: the CEL (check engine light) flashes and not the D indicator? Some codes are electrical and some are mechanical related to what flashes or stays lit.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
You sure it's not the yellow maintenance light flashing? It flashes at it gets closer to oil change time and eventually stays on. If no bad tranny symptoms like slippage and noise then just drive it. Couldn't hurt to do a drain/fill and add a cooler/filter if none there.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Yes ^^ I'll bet it's the maintenance reminder. Press the trip meter reset button as you start the car and then the blinking will stop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts