Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for this so bear with me if it's been addressed...

I did a transmission 3X drain 'n' fill, added a trans cooler and Magnefine filter at 60,000 miles. We're closing in on 75,000 miles and I'm going to do another 3x drain 'n' fill and would like to replace the Magnefine filter with a new one as well. So, do I switch the Magnefine filter first then do the drain/fill or should I add the new Magnefine filter after all 3 drain/fills?

Also, I installed the Magnefine nice and tidy with the front bumper off using the stock return hose (uncut) and now it's looking a little tough to reach with everything assembled. I'm thinking of taking out the battery and support tray for access so I can service the Magnefine filter. Would it hurt anything to add a bit of hose (3 or 4 inches) so the filter is farther away from the bumper and maybe raised a little bit so it's easier to reach? I would add the hose to the cooler side and still leave the stock return line. Does this make sense? Any other ideas for easier access to the Magnefine filter? Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As for the order of the filter - i'd switch it first and then do the drain/refill but i'm not certain it would make a discernable difference...If you think about it - that is where most of the goop is going to gather (in theory) and not in the old fluid itself.
By removing the filter you're removing the majority of the contaminantes and then running only 66% dirty fluid through the new filter.
So for me, I'd install it & drain the fluid at the same time (then repeat the other 2 fills/drains)

I also added a bit of extra hose and routed it to under the battery box. It makes sense to do that imho.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
I would remove the filter. Do the 3x drain and fills and then add the filter after the last drain/fill. Its OK to drive the car a bit without the filter. Remember. The van never came with one so its good you added one. You would need to find a joint (or a whole tranny return line) and use it while the filter is out. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I knew this day would come after I re-installed the bumper :rolleyes: I'll add hose to make future access easy. I may have to remove the dang bumper one more time because I'd rather add hose to the cooler than splice the new hose in. Maybe I'm being too cautious but a splice could be a leak point some day.

dvpatel said:
I would remove the filter. Do the 3x drain and fills and then add the filter after the last drain/fill. Its OK to drive the car a bit without the filter. Remember. The van never came with one so its good you added one. You would need to find a joint (or a whole tranny return line) and use it while the filter is out. ;)
That makes sense - that way the new filter or the new fluid will get less contamination. I'll buy a 3/8 splice connector and temporarily join the hoses where the filter was before the drain/fill. Then pop in the new filter when done.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
dvpatel said:
I would remove the filter. Do the 3x drain and fills and then add the filter after the last drain/fill. Its OK to drive the car a bit without the filter. Remember. The van never came with one so its good you added one. You would need to find a joint (or a while tranny return line) and use it while the filter is out. ;)
I'm a little confused by your reply. The magnafine filter traps whatever it can and does not allow those contaminants to pass through, that is its job.
1)If you remove that filter, any particles, etc that might move through the oil lines while doing the 4x change could get caught in the inline Honda filter and/or in the transmission itself.
2)Why not leave the old magnafine filter in until you are finished and then change it to a new filter. That way any contaminants that may happen while doing the 4x will be removed when you change out the old filter?
3)Is the magnafine filter before or after the Honda filter? If it is after, then it wouldn't make any difference since the Honda filter would probably pick up most of the contaminants , except for the fine metal particles that the magnafine magnet would pick up.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blue '03 EX-L said:
Thanks for the replies. I knew this day would come after I re-installed the bumper :rolleyes: I'll add hose to make future access easy. I may have to remove the dang bumper one more time because I'd rather add hose to the cooler than splice the new hose in. Maybe I'm being too cautious but a splice could be a leak point some day.
Sorry not the bumper but the plastic splash shield underneath - the bumper can stay. I like to call it the "belly plastic"...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Buffalo4 said:
2)Why not leave the old magnafine filter in until you are finished and then change it to a new filter. That way any contaminants that may happen while doing the 4x will be removed when you change out the old filter?
+1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts