Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is specifically about these two leading contenders for replacement tires. I have searched and looked at other forums, but didn't see a succinct comparison between these two leading contenders.

I called my local Discount Tire after doing some research. I'd already narrowed the choice down to these two after almost wearing through Cooper CS-4's in ~40K miles and experiencing increased noise, increased vibration, and decreased traction. Michelin's are out of consideration. No need to explain that.

The Discount Tire web site shows the Yokohama AVID TRZ's as the best sellers locally for my area, so I wasn't surprised that the sales guy suggested them. He said the Yoko's have thicker tread on the inside and outside specifically to address the wear problems on vehicles like the Odyssey. However, if I sort Tire Rack review by make=Honda and then by lowest ratings first, a lot of Odyssey owners show up with poor reviews.

The Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring tires are showing good reviews, but there may just be less overall experience since these are a newer design.

I am suspicious that the Odyssey is hard on tires do to the weight and other factors. The Cooper CS-4's have held up well on my Subaru Odyssey. I'd be content to get another 40K miles out of this set of tires, but want something that'll stay quiet, sticky, and smooth.

Thanks for the opinions.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Same experience here...this thing seems to eat tires. We also burned the Michelins and Cooper CS4's in about 30k miles. They had some life but I don't mess around once they drop below 5/32nd. The Coopers were better tires particularly for the first 20k miles. Gal in my office also has a Suburu and has 70k miles on the CS4's and they still look pretty good.

I've found a lot of threads that the Yoko's get loud and burn tread as well. We just sold our Ody but I was planning to go the Goodyear route once it was time to pull the snow tires.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This concept of the Odyssey being a tire eater is interesting. I checked Edmunds.com for a quick comparison of curb weight. The Odyssey shows 4384 lbs. vs. 3425 for the Subaru Outback. Add to the Odyssey's weight that it is often carrying more passengers and it is easily 1000 lbs heavier. My Odyssey tires are not wearing unevenly, in fact I am surprised at how even they are wearing vs. other vehicles I've maintained. Could it just be the extra weight? Do SUV's burn through tires like this too?

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going with the ComforTred Touring.

Here are some other threads which may be of use:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/15-wheels-tires-suspension/93473-goodyear-assurance-touring-sams-club.html

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/15-wheels-tires-suspension/104375-cooper-cs4s-vs-goodyear-assurance-comfortred-touring-new.html

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/15-wheels-tires-suspension/44137-new-tires-2005-odyssey-share-your-experience-29.html

There's still a lack of long-term reviews on these tires due to how new they are. They may end up only lasting 40K miles like the CS-4's they're replacing, but the negative reviews on Tire Rack specifically for the Honda Odyssey swayed me away from the Yokohama's.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
We've had the comfortreads (not the touring ones) and they were fine, and have been running the TRZs for a while now and they seem ok, too - they are quiet and seem to do well in the wet.

I wish I understood why we go through tires so fast - wear is beautifully uniform every time, they just don't last (we went through two sets of OEM Michelins, a set of goodyears, and a set of TRZs and are on our second set of TRZs at 107k miles - I don't let them get too low before swapping them out, and we've been reaping the benefits of the mileage warranties at Discount tire, but it's still annoying to get 30k or less on an 80k rated tire...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 week report:
Noticeably quieter and smoother than the CS-4's they replaced, but this seems to be a common comment with all new tires.
Traction was great when some idiot cut me off then stopped short. ABS kicked in and we avoided a collision.

DrD, do you wait until you hit the wear indicators? How does the warranty work at Discount when they are clearly wearing faster than the treadlife warranty and you're ready to replace?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had a 2003 ody. First set of replacement tires was the GY Comfort tread. Very quiet and smooth (but coming off of old michelins). Had problems balancing them and were balanced about 3-4 times before the wore out at about 37K. Replaced with cooper cs4's. Quiet tire as well but not quiet as much as the GY's. Traction was the same for both but dont drive crazy in dry let alone rain or snow (live in PA so i get snow) but with that being said they both were fine in the snow. I also had an issue with the balancing of the coopers so i had them road forced balanced (hunter machine i believe) and what a difference, highly recommended. Traded the ody in so im not sure about the tread life but they looked good with about 19K on them. I have TRZ's on my 2003 accord and thought they were nice at first. They road smooth and have good traction but as time went on they are getting loud in a bad way. they still have good tread on them and wearing great and even but the sound is annoying. I saw it somewhere described as a 4 wheel drive jacked up truck sound and from inside I can say yeah that describes it. Through some rotating of tires , I think its one or two of the tires that are causing this. So I can see where not everyone has the issue but do see a lot that do. I wouldn’t buy them again. Not sure if that helps any.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts