Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone.

i would love your feedback and your thoughts.
so my husband has had enough of the honda odyssey problems.
such as low battery ! he wants to go and look
at the GMC Acadia Crossover !:huh:

we have complain to the American Honda! NHTSA TO!
so they keep on telling us they will not replace the battery and
we where hoping they change the sensor to! I have 3 kids
and the safety of my kids matter and tell me honest with you guys i
am afraid to take the long road trip and the battery dies on us!
let me know what your thoughts are on this!=)
this is my first honda Odyssey and i love it and if they can just
change the battery that would be great! i did spend alot money on that car:(.
have a great day!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like most Japanese automakers. They have a history of long lasting vehicles. But with these here Odyssey's, they tend to have problems.

I think all cars are going to have problems. Its how you deal with it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I doubt you will get stranded. There are only a couple of reports of Batteries dying on owners. Statistically that might just be a bad battery. However, they might be a sign of things to come. I have found Honda less than helpful and I feel disappointed in my purchase. Acura MDX owners that have the same system had a similar issue. So it is a KNOWN problem for Honda. There are many good things about the vehicles but a warning EVERY time I get in and out of the vehicle is not acceptable on a brand new 50 K (CDN) vehicle. The line on "drive it more" is just BS and make me think Honda are fobbing me off.

I am hoping (as I was told) that I fix is coming soon (next month or so).I am going to give it a bit more time and then if I keep getting BS from Honda I will trade it for something else.

I thought Honda was better than this and this is what I paid for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The biggest cause of low battery warning is user induced. It happens when you open and close the power doors and tailgates too often when the car is off. It happens on mine occasionally and I am not worried in the least about getting stranded. As long as you remember that the vehicle is not a toy to be played with you should be fine.

I am biased. I have owned 11 Hondas without a single major problem. I regularly put 35,000 - 40,000 miles a year on mine and just have to perform routine maintenance. Used properly Hondas are some of the best performing and longest lasting machines on the road.

The other factor is the amount of money you lose when trading. At least it is a Honda so it won;t be that much relatively speaking. You say it is new so I assume a 2011. At least you could look at it this way, after putting miles on your Honda it is still worth more than a brand spanking new GMC Acadia would be immediately after driving it off of the lot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Disagree Bran.

I do not "play" with my Odyssey, I use it in a similar manor to the previous vehicles that I owned. (please don't tell me it is a different vehicle with lots of electronics). It should be designed and engineered for "regular" use. None of my previous vehicles warned me of impending doom...

If there isn't anything "wrong" then why was I told a fix is in the works.... To me it seems there are too many other owners that have similar problems so it can't be blamed on operator error.

Perhaps the salesman should have told me at time of purchase I have to drive a minimum of XX km per trip etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry you disagree. I am going by my experience and the experiences of four brothers and sisters who have all bought Touring Elites because they liked mine so much. After I posted this a few minutes ago I called my sister and my dealer.

My sister said she has noticed it once when the vehicle was parked for two days and her oldest daughter "showed" the doors to her friends multiple times at a sleep over.

The general manager of our dealership, my brother-in-law for full disclosure, said he has had very few of these complaints and knows of no problem in this area that Honda is addressing. He could be uninformed but I doubt it.

Are people noticing this while driving? If so then I would agree that there is a problem in that situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would not trade the odyssey in for a gmc acadia. My uncle had one and had a lot more engine trouble with it then just a battery light coming on. He took it in sevral times to get the thing fixed and every time he would leave to go home it would come on agin. I would stick with the Honda they have a much better vehicle then gmc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi everyone.

SORRY i did not mean to get anyone upset!
he just wants to trade it in that is all.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The biggest cause of low battery warning is user induced. It happens when you open and close the power doors and tailgates too often when the car is off. It happens on mine occasionally and I am not worried in the least about getting stranded. As long as you remember that the vehicle is not a toy to be played with you should be fine.
That's the same stuff that Honda keeps telling everyone. How many times are you really going to open and close the doors and hatches while the car is off? The battery should not be dying from a few clicks of the sliding door!

I know the dealerships have to feed you the corporate line (since there is no fix yet) so I just accept their bullsh*t.

:(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks so much!

he wants it fix and they ingore him. so we will see what he wants to do.
thanks ! i heard gmc was a good company!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I doubt you will get stranded. There are only a couple of reports of Batteries dying on owners. Statistically that might just be a bad battery. However, they might be a sign of things to come.
I am one of the unlucky ones that had our battery completely die. We were getting battery warning messages on and off for over 4 months and then the battery just died without notice.

The dealer couldn't figure out the cause and didn't see anything wrong with the battery or system. However, to give my wife peace of mind, they swapped the battery for a new one and since then we've not received any more battery warning messages (one month now).

So I've just learned to enjoy the van and stop worrying about any impending problems or doom and gloom. However, we do carry a set of jumper cables just in case! :(

However, I still think the van's positives still far outweigh its negatives.

:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
BMS has been beaten to death here and on the web.

The van does have a lot of positives and hopefully a fix is in the pipe. If you hit the key fob from a distance you wont hear the entry beep.

I am waiting for a fix, or failure. if nothing, or corporate BS then I will go shopping again. but until then wait and see.

I didn't buy a new honda to left on the side of the road. I hope it is a minor tweak that will be resolved soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BMS has been beaten to death here and on the web.

The van does have a lot of positives and hopefully a fix is in the pipe. If you hit the key fob from a distance you wont hear the entry beep.

I am waiting for a fix, or failure. if nothing, or corporate BS then I will go shopping again. but until then wait and see.

I didn't buy a new honda to left on the side of the road. I hope it is a minor tweak that will be resolved soon.
well said!

·
Registered
427 Posts
hi everyone.

have a great day!
A fool and their $$ soon parted ways... That makes no sense, esp. from a financial stand point. But to each their own.

·
Registered
288 Posts
hi everyone.

I think the Acadia Crossover is a different vehicle. I looked at it a while ago and I know that my elementary-aged children would have trouble getting in and out by themselves. It's high off the ground and has traditional car doors. It is not big enough for our family of 5. When we travel, we have lots of luggage and on our last trip, we could fit everything inside the van without using my crossbars. That improved our gas mileage. I don't know about the Acadia's reliability because the logistics of a people mover (Odyssey) ruled out the SUV-ness of the Acadia. Yes, the Ody is not as "manly" as a vehicle as the Acadia but the usefulness and comfort far outweighed the other issues. I have had the occasional battery warning problem too. It is further aggravated when I leave my headlights in the auto position. In the summer I don't need my headlights as often so I'm leaving them in the off position until Honda can get their act together on the issue. This is my 3rd Ody so I'm sticking with them for now until my kids are at a place where we don't need a big vehicle.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
I understand your husband's concern for your security caused by a possibly dead battery in a brand new van. However trading it may just get you other problems instead. I believe the Ody is overall a very good vehicle, but like everything it is not perfect.

Some folks have reported that the problem with the BMS goes away when the dealer replaces the battery. Unless things have changed in 2011, Honda batteries are not exactly the best. I would go one step further and replace the battery with an Interstate Mega Tron Plus. In the Ody's size, it pumps out 800 CCA compared with a diminutive 550 for the Honda. (Disclaimer: I have no association with Interstate. But I do get Consumer Reports, which recommends this battery.)

Before I am flamed, I agree that I shouldn't have to pay good money to replace a battery in a new and expensive car. However, getting peace of mind outweighs any moral or contractual obligation that Honda has to me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
hi everyone.

have a great day!
i hear you and emphathize.

to bran who's brother-in-law is a dealer and is in love with honda, good for you. but it's clear the problem is real and widespread - no reason people would make up this problem just to rant. and it's clear even some of bran's relatives are having the same problem -- i don't know of any other cars that have low battery warnings go off after parking for 2 days, even if you use the doors a few times. that's ridiculous.

but in every other way, the odyssey has been a great car for us.

practically, to trade in for a gmc cross over does not make sense. the odyssey is a minivan and a much more practical people/gear mover. and you'd take a huge hit depreciation-wise, trading it in or selling it.

either insist the dealer replace the battery (make a fuss, keep going back every day -- i know a pain) or just pay the $100-200 for a new battery. paying for it yourself may hurt the pride (as well as pocket book) and let's honda off the hook.... but at least you fix the problem. i like the other poster's idea of getting a non-honda battery!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts