Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got my wife's new Celica GT-S a few days ago and the Zaino order finally showed up today, so I started working on the car at about 8 o'clock this evening.

The car was basically clean, but drizzled on, so I began by wiping it down. As I said, that was about 8 o'clock. Then I clayed it which was easier than I thought it would be from things I've read. Next, wiped on a thin coat of Z1, followed by a thin coat of Z2, watched TV for about an hour, came out to the garage and it was dry already, so I and wiped the car down. By 11 o'clock, I'm done and that's with a total of going over the car 5 times and watching TV for an hour. A piece of cake.

Somebody lied about this stuff.
I don't think it took even two hours to complete the first application, including the clay. I thought this stuff was gonna be hard, or at least finnicky, to work with. WOW! Easiest stuff I've ever used! And the sexiest finish I've ever felt on a car. Maybe I'll sleep in the garage tonight. (If my wife reads this, I'll HAVE to sleep in the garage!

Tomorrow, two more coats if everything goes well.

For sure, if I'd known this stuff worked this well and this easy, I'd have started using it long ago!

------------------
Chuck
'01 MB EX-NAV Pics and Projects

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 05-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 05-12-2001).]

·
Registered
196 Posts
Chuck,
Thanks for that post. I've been considering getting the Zaino products (if I can resolve my paint issue with Honda)for a while. I've been all over the Zaino site and haven't been able to find any comments related to longevity of the product. Do they say anything in the supplied literature about how often they recommend a retreatment? Do they suggest a full treatment or just an occasional re-application of Z2 for instance?

By the way Chuck. I know you've heard it often but thanks for the many helpful posts you've made related to upgrades and modifications. I'm a also die hard DIY. I installed the cassette deck, splash guards, leather steering wrap and cargo liner just before I discovered the paint blotches and to decided to stop at that point. I,m dying to get at those backup sensors and fog lights!

------------------
Tom
2001 SS EX

[This message has been edited by tomhan (edited 05-12-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the compliment and you're welcome. I've been having a lot of fun, too.

Longevity-wise, I don't recall the Zaino site saying anything specific other than "it's longlasting", and to reapply "when needed" but I've read other references to the fact that it outlasts other treatments.

I did two more coats on the Celica today and also did one on the Ody. The Celica is silver, the Ody is MB, and my son did his Xterra, which is yellow. All three look the best I've seen.

After today, I don't think I care whether it lasts a long time or not, though I think it will. That stuff puts on the finest finish I've ever seen or FELT. It actually feels smoother than glass. You have to try it to believe it.

BTW, good luck with Honda with your paint problem.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 05-12-2001).]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Following is a quote from Zaino Bros.' "Tips and Tricks" page: http://zainobros.com/files/tips.htm

"Note: It is not necessary to use Z-1 Polish Lok™ every time you polish your vehicle. Z-1 Polish Lok™ is recommended the first time you do your vehicle and thereafter, once a year for show cars and twice a year for everyday
vehicles."

Note that comment is for the Z-1 only - you can use as many coats of the Z-2 as you'd like, one on top of the other (after you Z-1 the vehicle first). Just wait 24 hours between each coat of Z-2. Each additional coat is supposed to deepen the shine. I'm in heaven - found out there's a dealer (oops - I mean *distributor*) of Zaino products who lives about 5 miles from me!! Made my first buy (I mean - "picked up my initial order") of Zaino a couple of weeks ago. I cleaned my daughter's '96 Toyota RAV4 per instructions (clayed it, also) and applied the Z-1 and Z-2 - I'm hooked on the smell of the stuff, not to mention the results! (I saw a fly land on the upper portion of the hood; he slid on his back all the way off the front. hehe!) I love their Z-16 protectant, also - the Toy has vinyl side cladding; it looks the best I've ever seen it, and without the "oily" look of Armor-All. OK; enough talk, I'm going out in the garage to sniff some Z-2....
---------------
David
Expectant Owner of '01 GG EX-NAVI Whose Dealer Called Him Today To Advise It's Been Built And Should Be Here In Two Weeks.

"If you lived in the Dark Ages and you were a catapult operator, I bet the most common question people would ask is: Can't you make it shoot farther? 'No, I'm sorry. That's as far as it shoots.'" -- Jack Handey

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
200 Posts
I finally got to putting the Zaino products on this weekend. I agree that they go on easily and come off without much effort. On the SS in the garage, it was a little hard to see a distinct hazing though. The van looks great now! I am initially sold. I hope to get a couple more coats on soon. I am interested in the longevity as well.

As for the question about longevity, I thought that I saw a customer response on the Zaino site that provided some practical information. The guy was from Florida and talked about 4 months through the summer with the Zaino product vs. the 3 weeks of other products used. I realize there are a lot of details missing--number of coats, garaged, etc.--but is the only information that I have seen.

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jvennitti:
As for the question about longevity, I thought that I saw a customer response on the Zaino site that provided some practical information. The guy was from Florida and talked about 4 months through the summer with the Zaino product vs. the 3 weeks of other products used. I realize there are a lot of details missing--number of coats, garaged, etc.--but is the only information that I have seen.

</font>
I'd agree with the "three week" part of that statement. I've been using Gold Class products for the last few years and have been pretty happy with the gloss, etc., but they don't seem to last very long.

I wash the cars probably once or twice a week with Westley's Car Wash plus using a spray detailer and duster between washes, depending on how anal I feel.
The cars are always in the garage when they're home, but the "edge" of the shine still has to be replaced fairly often.

We'll see how the Zaino lasts. I don't really mind re-waxing, it's kinda fun, but I'd rather do it because I want to, not because I have to.

I've now got three coats on each car and have ordered the Z-6 spray to touch up between washes, so I'll keep you posted. The problem, if you want to call it that, is that the Z-2 goes on and off so easily that I may not wait until it's needed. I'll probably just put on one coat a month or so. We'll see.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 05-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just posted a bunch of pics of the Zaino'd cars. They're not the best, but they give the general idea.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Verrrrry nice pics Chuck! Those gotta go in the gallery.

-nemogira

P.S. So when ya gonna race the Celica! Heh, heh!
</font>
Thanx for the compliment.

That one wouldn't race very well, it's an automatic. It has a helluva engine and the sport shift buttons on the steering wheel, so it's a lotta fun to drive, but the four speed auto makes it hard to get the most out of the engine. It doesn't start opening up until over 6000 rpm and redlines just under 8000, so the four gears aren't enough to keep it up in that range. You're kinda in, out, in, out of the range, but what the hell - it sure is fun listening to that engine when it does finally get to the 6k mark!.

And btw, Honda should take some lessons from that car. It's solid as a rock, there's not a single rattle, and the suspension and tires are quiet and smooth while still delivering great ride and handling. If they can do that with a sports car, you'd think it could be done with a van and still have it handle well. Don't get me wrong, my Ody is probably just as quiet as the Celica now, but I had to do it myself. It didn't come that way.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great pictures! I hope to have my 3rd coat on this weekend and then I will take some pictures and post.

You're right about the lack of dust left afterwards. Also, there are no residual marks on the black plastic or rubber trim. My brother-in-law made that comment this past weekend.

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX

See photos at:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jvennitti:
Great pictures! I hope to have my 3rd coat on this weekend and then I will take some pictures and post.

You're right about the lack of dust left afterwards. Also, there are no residual marks on the black plastic or rubber trim. My brother-in-law made that comment this past weekend.

</font>
How did the SS look in the daylight? Are you using the Z-6? I didn't order any with my original order so haven't used it between coats and was wondering if it made a difference. I'm really looking forward to using it, too.

Also, some have used Zaino polish on windshields. I didn't yet. Anyone with experience with this?

BTW, it looks like eight ounces of this stuff is gonna last a long time. I've done a total of two coats of the Z-1 and six coats of Z-2 on the two cars plus the wheels on the Ody and only used about an inch or so out of each bottle.

Also, one other point: I had none of the reported problems with drying time. Probably because I was using very thin coats, but all seemed to work well without the pain in the butt of long drying times. Oh, and I used microfiber to remove the polish, not cotton, although I tried both. The microfiber just kept working well and never seemed to fill up with the polish.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
Don't get me wrong, my Ody is probably just as quiet as the Celica now, but I had to do it myself. It didn't come that way.
[/B]</font>
May I ask, what did you "do" to your Ody to make it "quiet"?

Is it your replacing the tires or did you paint/paste some sound-deadening materials on the body?

------------------
abyez
'99 GG EX

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All of the things I did, undercoating, additional material behind the panels, etc., took place over about 5 or six months.

http://www.honda-odyssey.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000058.html

http://www.honda-odyssey.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000023.html

http://www.honda-odyssey.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000016.html

http://www.honda-odyssey.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000053.html

These are links where some of the discussion has taken place. If you still have questions, post me again and I'll try to help.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
200 Posts
Unfortunately I have yet to see the van under nice sunny skies. Although, the reflections off of it in the dimly lit garage looked pretty nice. Anyway, I am anxious to be blinded by the shine.

I did use the Z-6 between the 1st and 2nd coats--the Z-6 has the same great smell as the Z-2. It seemed like it added some shine, but I was in the garage under inadequate lighting. The great thing about the Z-6 is that it is eaaassssyyy to put on. Just spray a little area and wipe off!

I haven't tried it on the windshield yet because I had already put Rain-X on it. I did put it on the wheels (rims). I will be interested in how is performs there.

I didn't have any issues with drying time either. I am still trying to guage what a thin coat is. I had some places where it was hard to see the haze. I suppose its a combination of the SS, dim lighting, and the thickness/thinness of the coat.

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX

See photos at:

·
Registered
75 Posts
"I've been all over the Zaino site and haven't been able to find any comments related to longevity of the product."

I used the zaino on my old Datsun 240Z and it definatly outlasted anything I've ever used before. I've used more different waxes than I could count in the past and although many of them have very nice shines initially they go away fast. The paint on the Z is a cheap repaint so it really shows the wear fast too. Usuallly within about 2-3 weeks it is in need of a cleanup. I did it in the middle of winter and went about 3 months before it needed redone. I did do about 7 coats when I did it. On a good quality factory paint job I'm sure it would last even longer, water still beeded up nicely on it even after that long.
This time I used a product called Klasse that also shined quite well. We'll see how it holds up. The only reason I went with it is I kept forgetting to mail off an order for the Zaino. I've thought about looking into selling the Zaino on our site.
Long story short (I know, too late for that) it outlasts all of the waxes I've used before.

-Trevor

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TAllen:
The only reason I went with it is I kept forgetting to mail off an order for the Zaino.</font>
Hmm ... you can always jump in the Zaino group deal.

Zaino Group Deal

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TAllen:
"I've been all over the Zaino site and haven't been able to find any comments related to longevity of the product."

I used the zaino on my old Datsun 240Z and it definatly outlasted anything I've ever used before. I've used more different waxes than I could count in the past and although many of them have very nice shines initially they go away fast. The paint on the Z is a cheap repaint so it really shows the wear fast too. Usuallly within about 2-3 weeks it is in need of a cleanup. I did it in the middle of winter and went about 3 months before it needed redone. I did do about 7 coats when I did it. On a good quality factory paint job I'm sure it would last even longer, water still beeded up nicely on it even after that long.
This time I used a product called Klasse that also shined quite well. We'll see how it holds up. The only reason I went with it is I kept forgetting to mail off an order for the Zaino. I've thought about looking into selling the Zaino on our site.
Long story short (I know, too late for that) it outlasts all of the waxes I've used before.

-Trevor
</font>
I talked to Sal Zaino yesterday about becoming a distributor. He said he doesn't want anyone doing internet sales, but he didn't really say why. I'm not sure how he distinguishes between the way his sales are handled now (mailing in a form and a check after seeing the products on the web) and being able to order directly from a web page and charge your order on a credit card. I didn't understand why it would make a difference to him.

------------------
Chuck

1 - 20 of 39 Posts