Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my shipment yesterday (predating my Ody by a few days). I forgot to order the Z7 wash. How important is this specific car wash mix?

I am going to zaino my 92 Bonneville and sell it, what if I use the claybar with like Armorall Car wash as lubricant?

I will use the z7 on the new car, but I have lookers at my old car this weekend and dont want to wait for the z7.

Is claying the older car worth the effort? I really just want it to look nice to sell.

thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts
Chuck used Meguires quick detailer spray when he clayed his car, so I don't think that the Z7 is necessary for claying.

Before I Zaino'd I washed my car with Dawn detergent to get rid of any other polishes and grease. Since applying Zaino, I have used the Z7 wash. Z7 advertises itself as having special optical qualities as well as UV protection.

Everyone here that has used clay claims that it made a world of difference, even on a brand new car. I think many will say that it is worth the effort.

·
Registered
196 Posts
When I clayed my 97 Camry, which already looked very clean, I was amazed at the difference. The car looked showroom new. And this is without applying any wax yet. I didn't even remember it shining that much when it was new. I decided then and there that any car which I attempt to sell or trade will get clayed just prior to the deal. It is definitely worth your effort!

------------------
Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES Soon!

[This message has been edited by tomhan (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
18 Posts
You do not have to use Z7. It is optimal in that it optimally matches and enhances the Zaino system-wide product.

It is important to wash the car with a moderate concentraion of Dawn (or equivalent) dishwashing detergent B4 initially applying Z1. Thereafter don't use dishwashing stuff to clean the car.

Car enthusiasts at other forums endorse claying down a car before applying a quality protectant/polish, especially on older cars. Zaino polish has no abrasives like most cleaner/polishes, so it does not pick up minor blemishes and imperfections, hence the strong recommendation for claying prior to applying Z1. However, claying is not a mandatory prerequisite for using Zaino. If you decide to clay, you can use a solution of your car wash soap and water in a spray bottle to lubricate - maybe 1/2 - 1 oz soap to 12 oz water. Just be sure to do small areas (say 3 sq. ft.) at a time, keep it well lubricated and immediately wipe off with cotton towel. After claying you'll need to rewash the car with car wash soap to get all residual film off, thoroughly dry then apply Z1 and immediatly follow with the Z5, Z2 or Z3. (Use ultra thin coats - you won't hardly see the Z1 so it's tricky to apply evenly.

TIP: The Z1 intructions don't mention this, but the Zaino web site does: apply Z1 in circular motions (again, as thin as possible). After covering the car, go back and apply your either Z5 or Z2 or Z3 over the top of Z1, but apply using linear (front to back on hood, roof and trunk, up and down on sides). Make sure everything is completely dry (and test as suggested in Zaino instructions), then remove everything with a large fluffy 100% cotton towel.

Hope this helps. Good luck....
-D-

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I used Meguiar's detailer and also their clay. The detailer makes a pretty good lube for claying.

If any one knows any differences in the various clay products, I'd like to hear about them. The prices are all over the place and the Meguiars is among the cheapest.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 09-27-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts