Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never used Zaino and just received my order...
1. Does Z1 get applied to a dry foam applicator or should I mix it with something?

2. I'm planning a 2-3 coats of Z5. Should Z5 be applied consecutively or should I use Z6 in between the Z5 coats?

3. Do you guys/ladies use a foam type applicator or something else?

Thanks anyone!

·
Registered
331 Posts
1. Apply Z1 as it is. No need to mix it with anything.

2. You can apply the Z5 without anything in between as far as I know. Let each coat cure for at least 24 hrs. Z6 can be used and it will enhance the gloss of each coat.

3. I apply Z1 and Z2 with either a Zaino applicator pad or 100% cotton US made hand towels.

Follow the link:

http://www.zainobros.com/files/application.htm

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Just wanted to say again, LOVE that Zaino!

Clayed, did Z1, and 2 coats of Z2, as well as Z6 in one day. (man, I'm tired) This is the best stuff I've used, and I've been a Meguire's fan for years..

Claying took a LONG time to go over the entire vehicle, but was totally worth it to get the smoothest finish!

I used a 10" orbital to remove residue from large surfaces, switching cotton terry pads often, and worked like a charm. Saved my arms a little too, but this stuff DOES come off easy, really didn't NEED the machine!

-SJ

p.s.- the Ody has so much surface area, it took me as long to go over this single vehicle as it does 2 small sedans! Big inside, and out!

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I totally agree. The Ody is just too damn big. LOL I just finished using Zaino (God's gift to cars and car geeks) and it's absolutely wonderful.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
157 Posts
My Zaino arrived!!! Now where's my 2002 MB EXL NAV?????

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES

·
Registered
585 Posts
I got my ZAAAAAAAAAINO

I got my ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAINO

I got my ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINO

And you can't have none.......

Now, where did I put that extra week of vacation to get to all this stuff again?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
So how does it look on DEP?

Tell me what you think. Now keep in mind I snapped these pics 1 week AFTER application, and after my little one smudged her cute little fingers on the rear quarter. Did not wash the car since last week, just a VERY QUICK once over with the California Car Duster...

400K (3MP) pic, click below to view, it's big...

http://ourworld.cs.com/shnjhn/ody/zaino4.jpg

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nice Shinjohn!!!

It definitely looks better on the darker colors than the lighter ones.

I have my Zaino, but not my '02 Ody...so I used it on my wife's white accord (twice!). It looks and feels great, but just not as good as it would on a darker color.

My neighbor washed and waxed his car on the same day as I did. I'm not sure what type of polish/wax he used, but my car felt sooooo much smoother than his.

Frankly, I think that I'm addicted to the smell of that Z-6!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lucman2:
2. I'm planning a 2-3 coats of Z5...
</font>
Just curious, Z-5 is "POLISH FOR SWIRL MARKS & FINE SCRATCHES". Why would you plan on using it more than once?

Mel

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
Just curious, Z-5 is "POLISH FOR SWIRL MARKS & FINE SCRATCHES". Why would you plan on using it more than once?

Mel
</font>
I think it builds up in the swirl marks with repeated applications. I only Zainoed one dark car and that was before I had the Z5, so I don't know for sure. My MB either doesn't have any swirls or I can't see them because of the lighter color.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:

Mel
</font>
I decided not to use it on my 2001. It really didn't need it. I'm anal about swirl marks and the thing just didn't have many. Now, my SE-R is begging for the Z-5.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Chuck, I think you are right. I'm going to do my Black '99 Accord within the next month and will use Z-5 to see if I can touch up areas where I see fine scratches from people dragging their clothes on the side panels. Will post results when I'm done, if people are interested...
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
Chuck, I think you are right. I'm going to do my Black '99 Accord within the next month and will use Z-5 to see if I can touch up areas where I see fine scratches from people dragging their clothes on the side panels. Will post results when I'm done, if people are interested...
-SJ

</font>
I'm interested. I've often been tempted to buy a black car, but so far have come to my senses just at the last minute. Having a good way to control swirls might just tip the balance toward the darker colors.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got my cache of Zaino products today. Can't wait for the weekend so that I can see how shiny I can make my Ody.

Has anyone used the Z-12 glass polish? I thought about getting it but $12.95 seems a bit much for glass polish/cleaner.

Eric

------------------
2000 GG EX-Navi

[This message has been edited by ericVic (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Registered
200 Posts
I believe that Zaino has to be purchased directly through Zaino. I haven't seen or heard of any other authorized reseller.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
I'm interested. I've often been tempted to buy a black car, but so far have come to my senses just at the last minute. Having a good way to control swirls might just tip the balance toward the darker colors.
</font>
As promised, pictures posted....

The car was in dire need of claying, and lots of little dings, chips, etc are present... my black Accord is far from immaculate. The timeline was: clay, Z-1, Z-5 on Sat morning. Z-5 removal in the afternoon, followed by Z-6. Z-6 Sunday afternoon, followed by Z-5 again. Waited an hour or so, removed Z-5 and then Z-6 again. Yeah....

What is interesting is that I was displeased with the 1st coat, and surprised by coat #2. Coat #2 went on/came off alot easier and really made a big difference, as shown in the pictures.

Using Zaino on an almost 3 year old car is quite different than using it on one that is a 3 weeks old.

I used Meguire's 3-step on this car before, with very good results. I feel like the Meguire's maybe made the paint look nicer than Zaino (on a per coat basis), but it's a bit hard to say, due to the time/age factor. Perhaps after another coat of Z-5 and then some Z-2, I will be astounded.

But this is turning out to be ALOT of work, even with how easy Zaino is to work with. I think Z-6 really is the key to shine with this stuff, though...

http://ourworld.cs.com/shnjhn/ody/zainoaccord/blackzaino.htm

Let me know what you think... Z-5 again? OR go to Z-2 next?

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have never used Zaino before, but I have read so many good things about it that I really want to give it a try.
However, I am confused. Zaino has all these z1,z2,z3....... Which one should I buy? And it sounds a tough job since everyone mentioned you have to apply so many layers. To me, the ody is so big, one normal wash already takes a lot of time and effort, how do you guys spend so much time and effort to put one layer after another, even though all of you said it is easy to apply ?
Anyway, can someone tell me what is the correct procedure to apply to a brand new 02' ody with minimal amount of applications?
Do I really have to buy all those z1 to z7 or z8?
One more thing, what is 'claying' and where can I buy that?
Thanks for your understanding since I am a newbie to Zaino.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hi lotus18,

In the minimum, you need Z-1 and Z-2. I'd recommend Z-6 and also some kind of clay bar (Z-18 from Zaino, and there are other brands).

Z-18, and other detailing clay "bars" are just what they sound like, pieces of clay. A clay bar is used to remove contaminants from a car's finish to get it ultra clean and ultra SMOOTH. It really works well, but is a laborious process. I did it on my brand new '01 and noticed the difference. For a new car, many would say that it is perhaps not worth the effort, since the finish is so new, but read the info on the Zainobros website. The stuff about rail dust, etc.. is true.

You need Z-1 before anything. It is a pretreatment coat.

Z-2 is the basic polish. For a new car, that's probably all you'll need for polish. Go as many coats as you like.

If your car is older, Z-5 is recommended as it helps cover up minor scratches, swirl marks, etc..

Z-6 is this spray stuff that I really believe in. It can be used as a light cleaner (for say, dusting) and it significantly improves gloss. I love this stuff! Using it between coats assures that you are starting off with a dust free, glossy surface before you apply more polish. I use it after car washes to enhance the shine and it also seems to reduce static, allowing the finish to not collect dust quite as fast....

Other Zaino products are optional, read the website for more info.

Hope this helps.
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks, shinJohn.
As a novice who used to just wax once a year with Turtle wax, this is definitely a big investment and time, not to mention, sweat.
Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts