Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Zaino vs NuFinish vs Meguires!

Got my box of Zaino goodies yesterday. Hope the weekend is nice. I have polished my '99 Dakota 3 times in the last 2 weeks with Nu-Finish, and am going to try to do one-half of it with the Zaino to see the difference. I intend to start with the clay bar, and then Z-1, Z-5, and Z-2 it. Gonna do the whole Ody if I can keep the wife home long enough! Will keep you posted on the results.

Added Meguires to the Subject line, since I will talk about it below.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
jealous...won't be reliable waxing weather here for months...Tuesday forecast high of 18°F (-8°C) low 8°F (-13°C)...aaarrrgggghhhh!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how each holds up, especially after several months.

------------------
Chuck, President, Vice President, Sergeant-at Arms and only member of the now official Former Ody Owners chapter of the OdyClub, founded 2/02/2002.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thought it was time to let you folks know that the Zaino is not out of the box yet. I got called to be a coach for one of the kids baseball teams, and my weekends have been busy since then!
Sorry!

I do still intend to eventually do the test. Will try to keep all posted when it really does happen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I gave our van the complete Zaino treatment about a week and a half after we got our van. I washed the van with Dawn liquid detergent in the afternoon, then we had some surprise visitors that had to take a spin around the block in the new van (...which left a lot of fine dust on the paint). The next day, I washed it again, then I did the Z-18 clay bar (...didn't pick up much but I could tell a difference), washed the van again, then the Z-1 polish-lock, followed by the Z-2 polish (...even the windows). I have been totally impressed with the Zaino. It's got to be the easiest car polish I've ever used, and it appears to have a shine as good as anything I have ever used or seen before. I loved the fact that I didn't have a lot of residue to clean out of cracks and emblems. I've washed the van once since then, and the van looked like I had just applied the polish. IMHO, the Zaino on the windows is as effective in the rain as Rain-X. I've been totally impressed. Since it's only been a couple of weeks since I first put the Zaino on, I really can't comment on how long it lasts. I've been very impresed.

The true test was when I put the complete treatment on my 1990 Nissan 240SX...wash with Dawn, Z-18 clay bar, wash again, Z-1, Z-5 (anti-swirl), Z-2 polish, Z-5 again, and finally the Z-2. I was amazed. I have two neighbors that have purchased Zaino because of the results. As far as I'm concerned, the money was very well spent.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Great Results!

Sounds awesome. I have been considering getting the Zaino for my new Ody and I think your experience will be the final push I need to make my order. The real fun will be applying it to my bright red '99 GrandAm. :cool:

You applied this to the windows, Odynut? In the past I have used RainX on my windows and have really liked the results of the rain beading up, but have not been impressed with the smearing that results after a few weeks. I have used chemical agents like varsol to remove the filmy buildup first on the windows before using RainX but it still smears after a while. :confused:

Have you noticed any smearing while using the wipers after you applied the Zaino to the glass?

-Kevin

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use Nu finish, I don't do the 2nd coat after 30 days. I did it once a year for the past 4 years on my Explorer and the beading lasts for a year. I used to use Mother's every 4 months until a friend used Nu-Finish on a used car he bought. I saw how it renewed his finish and how long it lasted. I never considered this product do to the old snake oil ads, but it lasts and shines. I would consider Zaino if my new van needed to be refreshed. But given its price, and the lack of feed back as to how often it needs to applied, and its protective qualities against acid rain and bird poop, I 'll stick with a known and proven product.

Rain-X rules.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been about 3 months since I first applied NuFinish to my truck. It has not lasted as well as I would have liked. After washing it yesterday, the water barely beaded up, and the clear coat was definetly not as shiny as it used to be. After the third coat three months ago (almost), the water would almost run off by itself. Of course, the truck does sit outside all day, and for the last month it has been outside full-time (usually in the garage at night).

Not bad I guess, but it certainly isn't the "once a year" polish for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I started using NuFinish many years ago after reading the Consumer Reports evaluation. It was hands down superior to the competition at that time. NuFinish has served me well for a long time but in recent years I have been using 3M 'Show Car Wax' in either paste or liquid. Recent NSX related evaluations have actually shown that the liquid lasts longer than the paste.....go figure. If you have fine scratches, ie 'swirl marks', the 3M 'Swirl Mark Remover' (for light or dark cars as appropriate) works wonderfully. It actually improved my S2000's finish that was brand new in preparation for its first waxing. Zaino has a great following but my more modest technique works very well for me and is 'cost' effective in both time and dollars.

Michael
'02 Ody LX
'02 S2000
'97 NSX

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Finally had some time this past weekend, so I took the plunge and opened up my box of Zaino goodies! :) Thought I would post my impressions.

In the past, I have used Meguires products. Typically, I have used their cleaner/wax, or if I was really ambitious I have used their three part, cleaner/conditioner/wax products. I was always satisfied with the results, but certainly had to reapply at least 4 times a year. Three months always seemed to be about the max they would last.

After reading about NuFinish for several years now, I tried it with similar results. About 3 months, and my truck was ready for another application. Both of the above products are not difficult to apply, but they do leave a lot of residue which you typically have to blow or brush off when you are done buffing.

Now for the Zaino application on my clear-coated silver Dakota. Washed it first with Dawn, and then used some diluted Z7 car wash in a spray bottle to clay bar it. Then I washed it again with Z7. The finish was VERY smooth to the touch. I was actually a little surprised that the clay was not dirtier, though it had obviously done its job. This is a '99 Dakota I have had for about a year, and the previous owner did keep it waxed. The clay definetly did remove a lot of impurities, though, so it was definetly worth the effort. The finish was as smooth as a baby's bottom!

After drying, I applied the Z1 per directions. Didn't take a lot, maybe an ounce. I have a LOT left in the bottle, it still looks full. I had swirl marks I could see in the clear coat, so I decided to apply the Z5 first. I did this, again not using a lot. It was about 50% humidity, but by the time I had finished applying the Z5, it was ready to be buffed (30 minutes or so). Buffed it out with my new 100% cotton towel and took a look. Not bad, but really not any better than the results I got from the NuFinish or Meguires. Some of the swirl marks were gone, but not all of them. I had also gotton the Z6 quick shine, so I went ahead and shot some of this on. WOW! Now the finish looked a lot better (shinier)!

I had to wait 6 hours to apply the Z2, and before I did I hit it with another shot of Z6. It shined a little more, but I couldn't believe that the small amount of Z6 I was using (per instructions) would last through one good Alabama thunderstorm! Did the Z-2, and now the shine really came through! Zaino is not kidding when they say always finish with Z2 as it has better optical properties! The finish was really nice now. Still had some swirl marks, so I decided in the morning I would do another coat of Z5.

In the morning, I hit it with Z6 again to remove any dust, and did another coat of Z5. After removing, all the swirl marks are gone, and only some actual scratches in the finish remain. I hit it with a light coat of Z6 again. I need to do another coat of Z2, and will try to do it tonight. The finish really looks good though, but it did take two coats of Z5 to cover the swirl marks. As for longevity, I will start the clock whenever I get the second coat of Z2 applied.

The Zaino certainly is shinier now than with 3 coats of NuFinish. However, it took a few more steps also! It looks better than the one step Meguires cleaner/wax, and about the same as when I used the 3-step Meguires process. It certainly took a lot less product than NuFinish or Meguires. After two coats of the Z-5, I maybe have used one ounce of it. The Z1 and Z2 are still almost full. The Z6 is hanging in their also, maybe 1 1/2 ounces used so far with 4 coats applied.

Also, the clay bar I used is still good. I folded and kneeded it a lot when using it, and can probably get another use or two out of it. You get two, so I am good for a couple years! The Zaino took a lot of steps to apply, but there is not a lot of rubbing, so they go pretty quickly. It comes off pretty easily also. I never had to wait to take it off either, the first panel was always dry by the time I finished applying it to the last panel. I hope it lasts longer than three months. I am going to try to use the Z6 on it at least once a month, so this may help extend its life. Need to get another coat of Z2 on as quickly as possible also.

I will keep you posted.

I did put the second coat of Z2 on last night. Start the longevity clock on 6/3/02! :)

Just to make it easy I used:

Z7 - Z18 - Z7 - Z5 - Z6 (morning 6/1/02)
Z6 - Z2 - Z6 (that evening)
Z6 - Z5 - Z6 (morning 6/2/02)
Z6 - Z2 (evening 6/3/02)

·
Registered
73 Posts
klasse

try klasse its a german brand and its very easy to put on / take off, also not that much dust.

They have a sealer too. it looks like water, and is very easy to apply /take off.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Time for an update!

It has been two months since I Z'd the Dakota, and it still looks good. Have not even done any Z-6 yet, though I do use the Z-7 wash every week (sometimes twice a week if it gets dirty). The water still beads well, though maybe not quite as well as when it was first done. I can now say for certain that the Zaino products outlast either NuFinish or the Meguries products I had used by at least a month.

I think I'll let it go for another month (if I can stand it) before I hit it with another coat of Z-2.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Being a father of two with a full time job, it's NuFinish for me. It takes almost no time to apply and remove and it's good for about 6 months of Chicago weather. I just don't have the time to dedicate to Zaino (fine product that it is). I've tried them all and for the price, NuFinish does the job just fine.

Maybe when I retire I can spend a little more time detailing. Unfortunately, I bought a little too much Tyco stock to even think of retirement until I'm about 70.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used Nu-Finish for the past 10 yrs, 2 times a year for each car. I was always happy with the results and it DID seem to last. Both cars' paint jobs looked great when we upgraded vehicles after 8 years. My problem was that it seems like the formula changed or something. It became harder to use - harder to wipe off and a lot of white dust after wiping.
I bought Zymol liquid cleaner wax at Costco. It was approx $13.00 for 2 bottles. I waxed the Ody yesterday for the first time - that van is HUGE - and I am very happy with the results. The product was easy to use and wiped off nicely. I lightly misted it with water after 2 coats and buffed it lightly by hand and it looks very nice. I don't know how long it will last, the bottle says to apply 3 - 4 times per year, but I hope to get away with 2 applications per year. This still took me basically all of Sunday afternoon, with some other odd jobs thrown in. I can't fathom performing all the steps of a Zaino treatment to a vehicle this large. It can't look that much better than my van does today to make it worth all that time. Just my opinion, not having actually seen a zaino'd van in person.

So far, I would recommend the Zymol cleaner wax. I hope it lasts....

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NuFinish was a disappointment when I used it. After 3 coats on my Dakota, which sits outside during the day and is garaged on nights and weekends, it was mostly gone after two months and totally gone after 3. On my Windstar (again after 3 coats), which sat outside all the time, it was gone after one month.

The shine was good, and it certainly made each vehicle look much better than they did before application, but the durability was just not there. Also, the dust from removal is a pain and it stains all your black trim on the vehicle (the REAL pain).

With Zaino, the longest step is the wash - clay bar - wash step, which you should do before applying any wax or polish. The actual Z1/Z5 or Z1/Z2 step may then take an hour, maybe two if you go real slow with lots of breaks and do the wheels and windows also. It was really not that much longer than NuFinish or Meguires. I find the shine on Zaino to equal the 3-step Meguires shine and it is noticeably better than NuFinish.

Maybe I didn't use NuFinish properly, but I am not going to try it again to find out either!! ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree with snake that the main issue with the Zaino steps is the first time. When I first do a car it takes me the better part of a day to wash with dawn, clay, and apply 2 or 3 coats of polish. After that though, I can put on a coat of polish quicker than I could put on a coat of Meguiars wax.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts